Guard Bridge Viaduct (1852-1968)
Opened on the St Andrews Railway.
This nine span single track plate girder viaduct has been demolished but the piers remain across the River Eden. The viaduct was on a curve where the line from Leuchars turned from south to east on its approach to St Andrews.
The original timber bridge, by Thomas Bouch, was replaced. (Timber viaducts were not unusual).
To the immediate north west, over a level crossing, was Guard Bridge station.
The Guard Bridge Inn is at the east end of the former viaduct.
St Andrews [1st]
St Andrews [2nd]
Other railway and industry locations
Guardbridge Paper Mill
Milton Junction [Leuchars]
St Andrews Shed
Kinness Burn Viaduct
St Fort South Junction
St Fort West Junction
Linkswood Oil Depot
Old Course Hotel
Craigtoun Country Park
West Port St Andrews
Blackfriars Chapel St Andrews
St Andrews Castle
St Andrews Cathedral
St Mary^s Church
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
The Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway
The St Andrews Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)