Guard Bridge

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Guard Bridge (1852-1965)

Opened on the St Andrews Railway.

Description

This was a single platform station with a typical North British Railway style building, a later addition. There was a passing loop to the north of the station. East of the station, over a level crossing, the line passed over the Guard Bridge Viaduct crossing the River Eden. By the level crossing was the ticket office in a stone built building. The signal box was on the south side of the line, west of the level crossing.

There was a goods yard on the west side, approached from the north. Just to the west was the Seggie Brick and Tile Works which had a tramway connecting it to a pit, just to the west.

To the north was, and is, the Guardbridge Paper Mill, although this closed in 2008 and is partly demolished. Part of the site is now the Eden Mill Brewery.

The station closed in 1965 and the box became a gate box in 1967. The line closed in 1969.

Little remains of the station, but the viaduct piers still stand. Houses have been built over the station site. Nearby railway cottages remain on Main Street, just to the north of the station.

Local

Eden Mill Brewery

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map


Dates

06/09/1965St Andrews Railway
Guard Bridge station closed.
20/06/1966St Andrews Railway
Guard Bridge to St Andrews closed to freight.
06/01/1969St Andrews Railway
Leuchars Junction to Guard Bridge closed to freight.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

The Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway

The St Andrews Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)