This is an island platform station. It is located at the north end of the Royal Border Bridge on the north bank of the Tweed.
The station was built on the site of Berwick Castle.
The original station was built slightly offset from the viaduct with a bypass line running down its west side, the station on a double track loop to the east. This had a trainshed and was partly built with stone from the demolished part of the castle.
The station was briefly the terminus of the line from North Bridge (now Edinburgh Waverley) until construction of the Royal Border Bridge by the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway in 1850.
The station was rebuilt to its present form by the London and North Eastern Railway between 1924 and 27, to a design planned by the North British Railway but delayed by the Great War and uncertainty over The Grouping in 1923. The main building is on the east side with a footbridge over to island platform.
The overall layout of the station has been, sidings to the west, station, and goods yard to the east, approached from the north. The goods yard site is now a car park.
| Berwick Station Signal Box|
Berwick Junction Signal Box
Berwick Central Signal Box
Berwick Roundhouse Shed
Royal Border Bridge
Berwick North Signal Box
Tweedmouth Power Box
Marshall Meadows Signal Box
Scremerston Colliery and Tile Works
Scremerston Colliery Incline House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Tax was still raised on spirits crossing the border from Scotland to England when the railway opened. Whisky could be confiscated from passengers, searching for spirits by customs leading to much delay, until an Act of Parliament removed the impediment.
When first opened in 1846 Berwick-upon-Tweed was the end of the line from Edinburgh North Bridge, the Royal Border Bridge (1850) was unbuilt and the Newcastle and Berwick Railway (1847) was not yet open. Passengers to or from the south would travel via the ^Quicksilver^ coach between Berwick and Newcastle.
|18/06/1846||North British Railway|
Opened from Edinburgh North Bridge to Berwick and the branch from Longniddry to Haddington.
|/ /1848||Newcastle and Berwick Railway|
Extended from Tweedmouth over the Royal Border Bridge to Berwick by the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway.
|15/01/1897||North British Railway|
The North British Railway begins to operate the through trains from Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross from Edinburgh as far as Berwick where the North Eastern Railway takes over.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)
Edinburgh St. Margaret's: The Story of the 'Other' Edinburgh Depot of the North British Railway 1845-1967
Exploring Disused Railways in East Scotland
Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
|LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons|
Newcastle (Rail Centres)
Newcastle To Alnmouth.: and the Amble Branch. (Eastern Main Lines.)
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes
South East Scotland (British Railways Past & Present)
The Castle and the Bear: A Brief History of the North British Railway
The North British Railway a History
|The North British Railway, Volume 1, One,|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Vanished Railways of West Lothian