Calton Tunnels (1846-)
Opened on the North British Railway.
This pair of double track tunnels are to the east of Edinburgh Waverley and a little west of Abbeyhill Junction. Since electrification the tunnels carry single lines as the overhead equipment needed extra clearance.
Although often referred to in the singular, there are two separate tunnels.
The original is the southern tunnel (397 yards), opening with the North British Railway. The newer tunnel is slightly longer (476 yards).
The tunnels pass under the southern flank of the Calton Hill.
York Place [Tram]
Princes Street [1st]
St Andrew Square [Tram]
Princes Street [Tram]
Easter Road Park Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Edinburgh Waverley Goods
St Ann^s Brewery
Edinburgh Signalling Centre
Croit an Righ Brewery
Waterloo Place [Tram]
Rose Lane Goods
Leith Walk East Goods
Palace of Holyroodhouse
The Balmoral Hotel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)
Edinburgh St. Margaret's: The Story of the 'Other' Edinburgh Depot of the North British Railway 1845-1967
Exploring Disused Railways in East Scotland
Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
|LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons|
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes
South East Scotland (British Railways Past & Present)
The Castle and the Bear: A Brief History of the North British Railway
The North British Railway a History
|The North British Railway, Volume 1, One,|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Vanished Railways of West Lothian