North British Railway

Introduction

This line was promoted as a separate company by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway which did not want to risk the construction of an Edinburgh to Berwick branch. Its construction was encouraged by George Hudson.

This line provided a service between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Edinburgh Waverley with a branch to Haddington. Later expansions and acquisitions provided lines to Glasgow Queen Street, Stirling, Dundee, Hamilton [NB] , Peebles, Galashiels, Aberdeen, St Andrews, Carlisle and a large number of other locations. Ultimately this company owned the largest track mileage of any Scottish railway company.

The mainline remains open and the Haddington branch is now a footpath.

The line between Edinburgh Waverley, North Berwick and Dunbar is supported and promoted by the East Lothian Community Rail Partnership .

The former North British Railway company is studied and memory preserved by the North British Railway Study Group .



Dates

  /  /    Burntisland Docks
17 acres site developed with 2 docks each with 6 coal hoists by the [North British Railway].
  /  /1762Nor Loch, Edinburgh
Drained, this was the future site of [North British Railway]s Waverley Station.
09/03/1837[Newcastle and Carlisle Railway]
Branch to basin on the Carlisle and Port Carlisle Canal in Carlisle opened. The terminus later became Canal yard and was an interchange point with the [North British Railway] who acquired the [Carlisle and Port Carlisle Railway and Dock Company].
07/07/1844[North British Railway]
Act receives Royal assent. Alternative date 4/7/1844.
  /  /1845[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1845[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (as yet unbuilt) absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1845[Marquis of Lothians Waggonway]
[North British Railway]
Waggonway purchased by the North British Railway.
21/07/1845Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
North British Railway
Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway merged with the North British Railway.
  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Fisherrow branch modified to branch off North British Railway.
  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Original Fisherrow branch from Niddrie connected to North British Railway to form Niddrie to Monktonhall link.
16/06/1846[North Berwick Branch] ([North British Railway])
Act passed
18/06/1846[North British Railway]
Opened from Edinburgh North Bridge to Berwick and the branch from Longniddry to Haddington.
01/08/1846[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
Line extended from Haymarket to meet the [North British Railway] at North Bridge station.
  /  /1847[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
[Musselburgh Branch] opened and Fisherrow closed to passengers.
14/07/1847Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction, Cairney to Millerhill, re-alignment at Sheriffhall and Dalhousie to Gorebridge opened.
  /  /1848[North British Railway]
Trinity College Church, Edinburgh, pulled down to make room for North Bridge station.
01/05/1848[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Line extended from Gorebridge to Bowland.
20/04/1849[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Line opened from Bowland to Hawick.
13/08/1849[North Berwick Branch] ([North British Railway])
Opened from Drem Junction to Williamston
17/06/1850[North Berwick Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line opened completely to North Berwick
27/01/1851[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Wallace Nick station, by Kelso, closed.
  /10/1852[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Newstead station closed
26/05/1856[Forth and Clyde Junction Railway]
Opened throughout, operated by the [North British Railway].
  /07/1856[Jedburgh Railway]
Line opened, worked by [North British Railway]. Jedburgh station had an all-over roof which was supported by the engine shed and station building. It is so far from town a bus runs between the station and town.
  /  /1859[Selkirk and Galashiels Railway]
[North British Railway]
Selkirk and Galashiels Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1860Border Counties RailwayNorth British Railway
Border Counties Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1860[Jedburgh Railway]
[North British Railway]
Jedburgh Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1860Clyde Trustees
Decide to build a wet dock (the Queens Dock) on their land at Stobcross. The North British Railway promotes the Stobcross Railway as a branch of the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway to serve it. (1860s).
01/06/1862[North British Railway]
Hawick Junction (at Portobello) becomes Portobello East Junction.
03/06/1862[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Monktonhall to Hardengreen authorised with branch to Macmerry.
01/07/1862[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Hawick [1st] closed to passengers on opening of the [Border Union Railway (North British Railway)].
29/07/1862Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee RailwayNorth British Railway
Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway absorbed by the North British Railway.
29/07/1862[West of Fife Mineral Railway][North British Railway]
West of Fife Railway absorbed by the North British Railway.
14/08/1862[Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway]
Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway absorbed by [North British Railway]?
  /  /1863[Wansbeck Railway]
[North British Railway]
Wansbeck Railway absorbed by [North British Railway].
  /  /1863[North British Railway]
Buy Charlestown Harbour and extend it east.
01/05/1863[Devon Valley Railway]
Opened from Kinross to Rumbling Bridge (worked by [North British Railway]).
01/08/1865[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
[North British Railway]
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1866Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton RailwayNorth British Railway
Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1866[Settle and Carlisle Line] ([Midland Railway])
Bill for the line presented with support from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, [Glasgow and South Western Railway] and the [North British Railway] (who did not have a partner for taking traffic from the [Border Union Railway] (Waverley Route) at Carlisle).
  /  /1867Forth and Clyde Canal
[Caledonian Railway]
Forth and Clyde Canal (and various assets such as the [Grangemouth Railway]) bought by Caledonian Railway to compete with the [North British Railway] in the Forth Clyde Valley.
  /  /1868[Settle and Carlisle Line] ([Midland Railway])
An agreement with the [London and North Western Railway] is reached over use of the [Ingleton Branch] ([Lancaster and Carlisle Railway]) and [Lancaster and Carlisle Railway] by the [Midland Railway]. The route would involve the [North Western Railway]. The [Midland Railway] tries to abandon the [Settle and Carlisle Line]. The [North British Railway] and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway block the abandonment.
  /  /1869[Forth Ironworks Railway]
Ironworks closed. Line taken over by the [North British Railway] as the [Kinnedar Branch] some time later.
  /  /1870[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Fountainhall station masters house built.
19/03/1870[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line opened from Monktonhall to Macmerry.
31/07/1870[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Connection from Hardengreen Junction ([Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]) to Smeaton ([Macmerry Branch]) opened.
19/12/1870[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Gallowgate opened, used as a terminus by the [North British Railway]s [Coatbridge Branch] until the College terminus was complete.
  /  /1871[Esk Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Esk Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Under construction. Contractor: John Waddell.
  /  /1871[Wansbeck Railway]
[Newcastle and Berwick Railway]
Curve (authorised in original [Wansbeck Railway] Act) put in to allow [North British Railway] trains to run into the main Morpeth station in either 1871 or 1872. The two companies built the curve towards each other, meeting in the middle. On opening the [Wansbeck Railway] trains stopped using the Blyth and Tyne Railways [Morpeth Branch] terminus.
01/02/1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
College station opened on a site previously occupied by the University of Glasgow.
01/02/1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Opened.
17/07/1871[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Auction Mart started by John Swan & Sons by the St Boswells station
26/10/1871[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway]
Whifflet to College passenger service starts.
  /  /1872[Leslie Railway]
[North British Railway]
Leslie Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1872Northumberland Central RailwayNorth British Railway
Northumberland Central Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/05/1872[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Smeaton, Ormiston, Winton and Macmerry stations opened.
  /  /1873Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway
North British Railway
Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1873Broxburn Railway
[North British Railway]
Broxburn Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1874Blyth and Tyne Railway
[North Eastern Railway]
Line absorbed by the North Eastern Railway to stop the [North British Railway] from acquiring the line and developing an independent route into Newcastle with a station.
20/10/1874Stobcross Railway
Line opened by the North British Railway. The Caledonian Railway obtained permission for running powers to Stobcross and for goods yards at Partickhill and Stobcross. The Caledonian managed to gain join ownership of the Stobcross high level to Stobcross low level connecting line.
29/10/1874Whiteinch Railway Whiteinch Tramway
Opened as a branch from the Stobcross Railway from an east facing Whiteinch Junction. Railway operated by North British Railway and tramway by the Wood brothers.
  /  /1875[Devon Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Devon Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1875Stobcross Railway
Cowdenhill Branch (North British Railway) opened to Knightswood pits and brickworks, later extended to the Cowdenhill stone quarries.
  /  /1876Peebles RailwayNorth British Railway
Peebles Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1876[Berwickshire Railway]
[North British Railway]
Berwickshire Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1876[Penicuik Railway]
[North British Railway]
Penicuik Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1877[Leven and East of Fife Railway]
Leven and East of Fife Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1877[Edinburgh Loanhead and Roslin Railway]
Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway absorbed by [North British Railway].
  /  /1877[Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway]
Dunfermline & Queensferry Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/08/1877[Leven and East of Fife Railway]
[North British Railway]
Leven and East of Fife Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/08/1877[St Andrews Railway]
[North British Railway]
St Andrews Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/06/1878[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Public opening of bridge and line between Camperdown Junction, Dundee (Tay Bridge) station and Leuchars. The Tay Bridge was single track and the other part of the line double. The bridge had signalboxes at either end. The engineer for the line was Thomas Bouch, knighted after Queen Victoria traveled over the bridge.
  /  /1879[Glasgow Bothwell Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway]
[North British Railway]
Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway absorbed by North British Railway (Alternative date 1879).
28/12/1879[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Tay Bridge Disaster. High Girders section of bridge falls in severe weather conditions. An evening train crossing the bridge falls with the High Girders and all on board are killed.
  /  /1880[Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
[North British Railway]
Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1880[North British Arbroath and Montrose Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1880Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway
[Caledonian Railway]
[North British Railway]
Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway).
  /  /1880[Carmyllie Railway]
Becomes joint [Caledonian Railway] and [North British Railway].
  /  /1880Tay Bridge and associated lines (North British Railway)
Locomotive retrieved from bottom of River Tay, nicknamed The Diver and put back in service. The letterbox, of Dalhousie station and now at the museum in Bellingham, was made from metal from this engine.
  /  /1881[Montrose and Bervie Railway]
[North British Railway]
Montrose and Bervie Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1881[Blane Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Blane Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1883Glasgow and North Western Railway
Glasgow and North Western Railway proposed by North British Railway. The route was to have been Glasgow to Inverness via Fort William. It was not built.
27/04/1883[Caledonian Railway][North British Railway][Alloa Railway][South Alloa Branch]
North British Railway given running powers over the Alloa Railway and South Alloa Branch from Alloa to Greenhill Junction on payment of £3000 annually to the Caledonian Railway.
29/06/1883[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
St Enochs station and approach lines south of Bellgrove taken over by the [Glasgow and South Western Railway]. Lines north of Bellgrove taken over by the [North British Railway].
28/07/1884Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)
Act passed. This was partly in response to the proposed incursion of the North British Railway's Glasgow and North Western Railway from Glasgow to Inverness via Loch Lomond, Crianlarich, Glencoe, Fort William and the Great Glen.
  /  /1885[Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway]
[North British Railway]
Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/08/1885[Kelvin Valley Railway]
[North British Railway]
Kelvin Valley Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1886Tranent Waggonway
Tranent Colliery to Meadowhill taken over by the North British Railway, Meadowhill to Port Seton dismantled.
15/03/1886[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
College terminus closed.
01/10/1886[Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway]
Abbeyhill to Lochend opened to passengers and freight. This line effectively quadrupled the main line of the [North British Railway] from Abbeyhill Junction to Piershill Junction and provided a useful diversionary route.
  /  /1887[Glasgow City and District Railway]
[North British Railway]
Glasgow City and District Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/02/1887Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway
Circular service introduced by the North British Railway.
13/07/1887[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
New double track Tay Bridge opened. (Alternative date 6/1887).
  /  /1888North Monkland RailwayNorth British Railway
North Monkland Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1889[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith New Lines planned; (Newhaven to Leith passenger terminus by [North British Railway]s Leith station, a triangular junction at Lochend with a line to Princes Street under the city with a branch to Waverley Market by Waverley station)
01/05/1889[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Dundee Esplanade opened.
01/05/1889[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Wormit opened.
26/07/1889[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway]
[North British Railway]
Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway merged into North British Railway.
  /10/1889Stirling and Dunfermline RailwayAlloa Railway
Connection made between the North British Railway's Stirling and Dunfermline Railway and the Caledonian Railway's Alloa Railway.
  /  /1890[North British Railway]
Operate a horse bus in East Lothian.
02/06/1890[Aberdour Line] ([North British Railway])
Aberdour opened.
04/07/1890[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Act received for a line from Newhaven to Seafield (Seafield Junction was for the line to the terminus and the [North British Railway] lines)
17/08/1890[North British Railway]
Six of the Forth Ferry Steamers now redundant and scrapped.
  /  /1891[Whiteinch Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British buys the smaller line.
03/07/1891[Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway]
The [Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway]) are given an Act which allows a link from the Leith New Lines to Easter Road on the [North British Railway]. This connection was not built.
05/08/1891[Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway]
[North British Railway]
Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1892Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line
[Caledonian Railway]
[North British Railway]
Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway).
18/12/1893[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Kincardine Junction to Kincardine opened.
17/09/1894[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Kilbagie station opened.
  /  /1895[East Fife Central Railway]
[North British Railway]
East Fife Central Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1895[North British Railway]
Design chosen for the North British Hotel, Edinburgh, by Sir William Hamilton Beattie after a competition. North Bridge also raised.
01/04/1895[Hamiltonhill Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Branch to the Saracen foundry opened, but has to be closed as it was in breach of a formal agreement with the [North British Railway] which owned the nearby [Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway].
  /  /1896[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
[North British Railway]
City of Glasgow Union Railway absorbed and divided between Glasgow and South Western Railway and North British Railway.
03/03/1896[Kirkcaldy District Railway] ([North British Railway])
Line opened as a goods relief line between Invertiel Junction (Kirkcaldy) and Foulford (Cowdenbeath) with a goods station at Auchtertool.
01/10/1896[Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway]
Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line
The [North British Railway] is forced to put its Dumbarton Central to Balloch Pier line into joint ownership with the [Caledonian Railway] to stop the [Caledonian Railway] from building a second railway (the proposed Dumbarton, Jamestown and Loch Lomond Railway) from Dumbarton to Balloch.
  /  /1897[Glasgow Yoker and Clydebank] Railway
[North British Railway]
Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1897[Anstruther and St Andrews Railway]
[North British Railway]
Anstruther and St. Andrews Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/01/1897Whiteinch Railway
Opened to passengers. A new connection was made to the line from the west of Crow Road. This replaced an earlier line which crossed under Crow road and joined at Whiteinch Junction which was further east (to the south of Gartnavel Hospital). The route of this earlier line is now built over, but was slightly further south than the existing line. The North British Railway also built a spur from a west facing junction on the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway to a north facing junction on the Stobcross Railway.
  /07/1897[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 2 partly opened.
  /  /1900[Newport Railway]
[North British Railway]
Newport Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1900[Eyemouth Railway]
[North British Railway]
Merged with North British Railway.
  /01/1900[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 2 opened completely.
06/08/1900[Aberlady, Gullane and North Berwick Railway]
[North British Railway]
Aberlady, Gullane and North Berwick Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1901Lauder Light Railway
Opened, new signal box opened at Fountainhall for the new junction on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).
  /10/1901[Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway]
New Cadder hump shunted yard opened by the [North British Railway].
  /  /1902[North British Railway]
North British Hotel, Edinburgh, opened.
12/01/1903Glasgow City and District Railway Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway) City of Glasgow Union Railway Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh RailwayStobcross Railway
Circular service withdrawn.
22/07/1903[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[Highland Railway]
Line opened by Mrs Ellic of Glengarry, service operated by the [Highland Railway] who were keen to keep the [North British Railway] away from Inverness. Steamers connected the Pier station to Inverness via Loch Ness and the Caledonian Canal.
17/08/1903[Princes Dock Joint Railway]
Joint line owned by the [Caledonian Railway], [Glasgow and South Western Railway] and [North British Railway] opened.
01/07/1906[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Line opened between Kincardine and Elbowbend Junction, contractor Robert McAlpine.
28/12/1906[Dundee and Arbroath Railway]
A [North British Railway] express which had been traveling from Edinburgh to Aberdeen is blocked by snow at Arbroath and returns south. It strikes a local [Caledonian Railway] Arbroath to Dundee train at Elliot Junction in a blizzard killing 22 passengers.
25/04/1907[Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway]
[Glasgow Yoker and Clydebank] Railway
[Rothesay Dock Branch] opened. The line was joint [North British Railway] and [Caledonian Railway].
01/05/1907[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British Railway start running service.
  /  /1908[West Highland Railway]
[North British Railway]
West Highland Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
  /  /1908[Grangemouth Railway] ([Forth and Clyde Canal] Company)
By-pass line from Swing Bridge Junction to Fouldubs Junction opened, the western half was owned by the [North British Railway] (part of the former line to the [Carron Ironworks]) and the eastern by the [Caledonian Railway].
  /  /1908[Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway]
Absorbed by the [North British Railway].
31/12/1908[North British Railway]
[West Highland Railway]
North British Railway takes over the West Highland Railway line from Craigendoran to Mallaig and the branch to Banavie.
31/10/1911[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
Line closed to all traffic as North British withdraws.
  /  /1913[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Hardengreen Junction to Smeaton mothballed.
22/01/1913[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 3 opened, contractor Robert McAlpine.
01/08/1913[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
Line re-opened by North British.
  /05/1914Whiteinch Tramway
Wood Brothers liquidated and operation taken over by A and G Anderson using [North British Railway] engines and crew.
28/08/1914[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British Railway (Invergarry and Fort Augustus) vesting and confirmation act passed as the North British buys the line.
31/12/1914[Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway]
[North British Railway]
North British Railway buys line and railway hotel at Fort Augustus.
18/08/1915[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 3 closed for repairs.
  /  /1916Whiteinch Tramway
[North British Railway] takes over operation.
14/12/1916[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
A major landslip at Ladhope Tunnel, just west of Galashiels station, blocks line.
  /  /1917[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Seafield Engine shed leased to the [North British Railway].
  /  /1919[Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway] ([North British Railway])
Methil Dock No. 3 re-opened.
29/03/1919[Cowdenbeath Loop] ([North British Railway])
All passenger trains start to use the Cowdenbeath (New) deviation.
  /  /1923[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Melrose station's timber roof removed.
01/01/1923North British Railway Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway Great North of Scotland Railway Forth and Clyde Junction Railway Kilsyth and Bonnybridge Railway Gifford and Garvald Railway Newburgh and North Fife Railway Lauder Light Railway Great Central Railway
Grouped into London and North Eastern Railway.
01/07/1925[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Macmerry to Ormiston closed to passengers.
07/07/1930[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Alloa (Kincardine Junction) to Dunfermline via Culross closed to passengers.
22/09/1930[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Smeaton closed to passengers.
03/04/1933Gifford and Garvald RailwayMacmerry Branch (North British Railway)
Gifford to Edinburgh (Monktonhall Junction) closed to passengers.
02/10/1933[Tay Bridge and associated lines] ([North British Railway])
Dundee Esplanade closed.
  /  /1934[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Smeaton to Hardengreen Junction lifted.
  /  /1948[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line used by expresses diverted from the East Coast Main Line.
05/12/1949[North British Railway]
Haddington to Longniddry closed to passengers.
  /  /1950[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Line used by expresses diverted from the East Coast Main Line.
  /  /1951[North British Railway]
Cockburnspath station closed.
07/04/1952[Leith Central Branch] ([North British Railway])
Leith Central to Abbeyhill and Piershill closed to passengers.
19/09/1955[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Parkhead station closed.
08/01/1956Glasgow City and District RailwayCoatbridge Branch (North British Railway)Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBathgate and Coatbridge Railway (Monkland Railways)Edinburgh and Bathgate RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.
02/05/1960[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Macmerry to Ormiston closed to freight. Goods depots at Macmerry and Winton closed.
05/08/1960[North British Railway]
Petition against closure of Portobello starts.
05/02/1962[North British Railway]
Ayton station closed.
05/02/1962[North British Railway]
Burnmouth station closed.
17/11/1963[Kirkcaldy District Railway] ([North British Railway])
Invertiel to Cowdenbeath closed.
  /  /1964[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Fountainhall becomes de-staffed.
  /05/1964[Aberdour Line] ([North British Railway])
Aberdour closed to goods.
04/05/1964[North British Railway]
Grantshouse station closed.
04/05/1964[North British Railway]
Reston station closed.
15/06/1964[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Kelso to St Boswells (Kelso Junction) closed to passengers.
07/09/1964[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Musselburgh to Joppa (Newhailes Junction) closed to passengers
07/09/1964[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
Closed to passengers.
25/05/1965Gifford and Garvald RailwayMacmerry Branch (North British Railway)
Saltoun to Smeaton (excluded) closed to freight. Ormiston goods depot closed.
  /07/1967[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Bellgrove closed to cattle traffic. The Glasgow Cattle Market was located by the station.
01/04/1968[North British Railway]
Haddington to Longniddry closed to freight.
01/04/1968[Kelso Branch] ([North British Railway])
Kelso to St Boswells (Kelso Junction) closed to freight.
05/08/1968[Leith North Branch] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith North to George Street Depot closed to freight. (Accessed from former North British Railway lines latterly)
06/01/1969[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway][Marquis of Lothians Waggonway][Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)][Border Union Railway][Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
28/04/1969[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Gorebridge, Lady Victoria Pit, (excluded) to Hawick [2nd] officially closed to goods.
05/01/1970Kinross-shire Railway Fife and Kinross Railway Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)
Perth (Hilton Junction) to Cowdenbeath North Junction closed to passengers.
05/01/1970[Fife and Kinross Railway]
[Glenfarg Line] ([North British Railway])
Bridge of Earn to Milnathort closed to all traffic.
05/01/1970Glenfarg Line (North British Railway)Kinross-shire RailwayFife and Kinross Railway
Cowdenbeath to Perth closed to passengers, Bridge of Earn [2nd] to Milnathort closed to goods, Cowdenbeath to Milnathort singled.
07/12/1970[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
Closed to freight.
01/05/1972[Leith Central Branch] ([North British Railway])
Leith Central (DMU servicing) to Abbeyhill Junction and Piershill Junction closed.
06/09/1972[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Musselburgh to Joppa (Newhailes Junction) closed to freight. (Alternative dates: 1971, 7/12/1970).
31/12/1973[Leith New Lines] ([Caledonian Railway])
Leith East Yard, last section of the line, closed. (Latterly accessed from [North British Railway] lines via Seafield Junction)
  /  /1978[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Dalkeith colliery closed.
  /  /1979Blindwells Opencast Mine
Rail served coal preparation and bunker plant opened by the former [North British Railway].
17/03/1979[North British Railway]
Tunnel collapse at Penmanshiel diversions of east coast trains via Carlisle required.
  /  /1980[Macmerry Branch] ([North British Railway])
Dalkeith washery closed, line closed completely from Monktonhall Junction.
21/09/1980[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
Bellgrove station burnt down.
  /  /1985North British Railway
Perth Pool built on the former goods yard of the North British Railway by Perth station.
  /  /1989Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Millerhill Yard Junction (by Millerhill MPD, approximate location of the former Cairnie station) to Millerhill Junction (south of the former Millerhill station) closed.
06/03/1989[Coatbridge Branch] ([North British Railway])
[City of Glasgow Union Railway]
Crash at Bellgrove station when a train leaves Bellgrove station passing a red light (SPAD) and runs onto the single lead of the Springburn line striking a train leaving the branch. 2 were killed and 40 injured.
  /  /1991[North British Railway]
North British Hotel, Edinburgh, becomes the Balmoral.
  /06/1994[North British Railway]
Wallyford station opened.
  /04/1997[Kincardine Line] ([North British Railway])
Longannet to Kincardine Power station re-opened to freight.
  /03/1998[Aberdour Line] ([North British Railway])
Dalgety Bay station opened.
03/06/2002[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction and Niddrie South Junction to Newcraighall re-opened to passengers with a stations at Brunstane and Newcraighall. A long reversing spur was provided south of Newcraighall from the new Newcraighall Junction.
06/09/2015Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)Millerhill Deviation (Network Rail)
Newcraighall North Junction to Tweedbank opened to passengers with stations at Shawfair, Eskbank, Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Stow, Galashiels and Tweedbank. Newcraighall Junction renamed Newcraighall South Junction.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Edinburgh to Berwick

This is the main station in Edinburgh and acts as both a terminus and through station. The larger part of the station is covered by a large glazed roof and is an island platform with bays at either end. There is a smaller island platform outwith the main roof on the south side.
...

More details
A grab shot of the splasher nameplate of the 'Flying Scotsman' from Waverley's
...
Martin MacGuire 20/05/2018
GBRf 66 739 Bluebell Railway, formerly at the tail of The Royal Scotsman, prepares to strike east at Waverley Platform 8. ...
David Panton 08/09/2017
The North British Railway crest, one of a pair of windows in the Edinburgh Waverley conference room. ...
John Yellowlees 11/06/2019
North British Railway window at Waverley, one of a pair in the station's conference room. ...
John Yellowlees 11/06/2019

This junction was formed between the 1868 Easter Road Deviation (North British Railway) and the 1846 North British Railway. It was east of Edinburgh Waverley and the Carlton Tunnel.
...

More details
Even the leafless January vegetation gets in the way of what would otherwise be a decent viewpoint in Regent Road Park. Therefore please think of this ...
David Panton 17/01/2019
46100 Royal Scot passing Abbeyhill eastbound on Sunday 14 August 2016 shortly after leaving Waverley with the ScotRail 'Borders Line Steam ...
Jim Peebles 14/08/2016
150.208 approaches Waverley from the east having just cleared the former Abbeyhill Junction in 1989. ...
Ewan Crawford 12/06/1989
An inbound class 380 on an East Lothian - Edinburgh service crosses Spring Gardens, near Abbeyhill on 11 October. In the background a class 91 ...
Bill Roberton 11/10/2011


This station was west of the London Road overbridge and St Margarets Shed. The Duke's Walk and Queen's Drive ran west to Holyrood Palace. A loading bank and sidings were added to the north side. ...

More details


This is the junction for the disused line to the Powderhall Destructor. Approach was from the east.
...

More details

This a an important depot servicing trains used on the East Coast Main Line.
...

More details
Grab shot from a train passing Craigentinny TMD early in the afternoon of 6 September 2007, showing Wabtec 08472 with a GNER coach standing alongside ...
John Furnevel 06/09/2007
Power car 91124 moves slowly through the shadows towards Craigentinny Junction and the ECML shortly after leaving the depot on 23 September 2018. The ...
John Furnevel 23/09/2018
LNER empty stock on the exit line from Craigentinny Traction & Rolling Stock Maintenance Depot approaching out of the sun on 23 September 2018. The ...
John Furnevel 23/09/2018
Looking north over Craigentinny Junction on the morning of 23 September 2018 as an LNER InterCity 225 set joins the ECML. The train is running ECS ...
John Furnevel 23/09/2018

In 1858 a curve was opened from the 1846 North British Railway to the South Leith branch of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
...

More details
A consignment of Russian coal on its way from Leith Docks to Cockenzie PS in April 2007. EWS 66059 is climbing from the site of Leith South Junction ...
John Furnevel 13/04/2007
A North Berwick train bound for Waverley speeds past Portobello Junction on the ECML in March 2007 as an EWS class 66 with a trainload of imported ...
John Furnevel 22/03/2007

This was the junction between the North British Railway main line and its short connecting curve which ran north to meet the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway's South Leith branch. The curve allowed trains from the east to join the branch and vice versa. It was opened to the west of Portobello [2nd] station.
...

More details
A complete load of rubbish. A full complement of compacted refuse containers from Powderhall eastbound through Portobello in August 2011 en route to ...
John Furnevel 01/08/2011
The Monday morning 'Binliner' crossing Baileyfield Road on the ECML through Portobello on 1 August 2011. DBS 67027 is hauling a full complement ...
John Furnevel 01/08/2011
A class 322 runs west past Portobello Junction on 1 August 2011 with the 10.36 North Berwick - Edinburgh Waverley service. The train has just passed ...
John Furnevel 01/08/2011
On the south side of the ECML between Portobello Station and Craigentinny Sidings, in an elevated position above Baileyfield Road, stood Portobello ...
Bill Jamieson 22/11/1970

There have been three station at Portobello and presently (2018) none. The second station, opened by the North British Railway, was a two platform station with a building on each platform. To the immediate east was the original Portobello Junction (later relocated further east).
...

More details
The blocked up entrance to the subway leading to the island station at Portobello. The station closed in 1964 and there were calls for it to reopen ...
David Panton 17/05/2018

The closed Freightliner terminal at Portobello in 1989. The four lines to the left are the terminal, the next two to the right are the loop at the ...
Ewan Crawford 12/06/1989
EWS 66078, having brought its load of imported Russian coal up the branch from Leith Docks, is held at signals at Portobello East Junction on 6 ...
John Furnevel 06/12/2006
D9021 prepares to take the inaugural Euro-Scot away from Portobello FLT in 1968. ...
Jim Peebles 07/10/1968
'Well hello there... I was wondering if there was any possibility.... ' ... 'None whatsoever.' Two failed propositions at Portobello ...
Jim Peebles 07/10/1968

This junction is open. The double track East Coast Main Line from Berwick-Upon-Tweed meets the single track line from Tweedbank and passenger trains run west to Edinburgh Waverley.
...

More details
View from a train passing Portobello Junction on 18 April 2007. The AMEC tamper is stabled in the sidings running alongside the Network Rail MDU and ...
John Furnevel 18/04/2019
A 158 for Tweedbank slows right down (as required) to leave the ECML at Portobello on 26/10/2017. Behind it on the wheel lathe line are some Royal ...
David Panton 26/10/2017
Caledonian Sleeper liveried 73970 stabled at the Portobello wheel lathe on 1/4/17. ...
Jeffray Wotherspoon 01/04/2017
67009 draws the empty stock for the Borders steam special at Portobello Junction. ...
Bill Roberton 14/08/2016

This was a two platform station which replaced Joppa [1st]. But unlike that station, this one was on the East Coast Main Line rather than the Waverley Route.
...

More details
'Flying Scotsman' branded DVT 205 brings up the rear of the 07.30 from Kings Cross to Edinburgh at Joppa on 8th December 2018. A CrossCountry voyager ...
Bill Roberton 08/12/2018
380 007 passes Joppa with a North Berwick - Edinburgh service on 8 December 2018. The gable end of the old station house is just visible on the ...
Bill Roberton 08/12/2018
A4 60009 nears Joppa with the Railway Touring Company's 'Edinburgh Christmas Market' special from York on 8th December 2018.
...
Bill Roberton 08/12/2018
70013 Oliver Cromwell nears Joppa with the 'Heart of Midlothian' charter from Huddersfield to Edinburgh on 17 March 2012. ...
Bill Roberton 17/03/2012

The LNER 1000 Edinburgh - Kings Cross about to run south through the site of Newhailes station on the western edge of Musselburgh on 5 July 2018. ...
John Furnevel 05/07/2018

This junction was controlled by a tall signal box on the west side of the line and south of Newcraighall Road. The box was tall enough to see over the bridge. Both lines were double track.
...

More details
Newhailes Junction, former junction for Musselburgh, viewed from the west. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Newhailes Junction signal box on 22 November 1970, still displaying its former name. The box stood near the point where the Musselburgh branch left ...
Bill Jamieson 22/11/1970
Deltic No. D9016 'Gordon Highlander' powers out of Edinburgh south of Newhailes Junction leaving a blue exhaust haze in
...
Bill Jamieson 19/04/1970
A gloomy Tuesday afternoon in April 1970 as EE Type 4 No. 252 passes Newhailes Junction with the 11.50 Aberdeen to Kings Cross Freightliner service. ...
Bill Jamieson 14/04/1970

This junction opened in 1884. Also known as Newhailes East Junction. It was the southern end of a Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway curve connecting north west to the Fisherrow branch of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
...

More details

This is a two platform station. The station is quite some way south of Musselburgh town centre and serves the newer housing and new Queen Margaret University campus.
...

More details
A southbound CrossCountry service passes through Musselburgh on 23 March 2019. For some reason there are no 'fast train approaching' warnings on East ...
David Panton 23/03/2019
Platform view north at Musselburgh on 14 October 2017, with the 1708 Edinburgh - Birmingham New Street CrossCountry service about to run through the ...
Andy Furnevel 14/10/2017
ScotRail 380010 arriving at Musselburgh on 29 July 2017 with the 1651 North Berwick - Edinburgh. ...
Andy Furnevel 29/07/2017
A mid-afternoon Edinburgh - London service about to run south through Musselburgh on 11 December 2007 led by DVT 82222. National Express East Coast ...
John Furnevel 11/12/2007

This junction has had several different layouts and refers to several slightly different locations. The original junction was for the Macmerry Branch (North British Railway) the present version is between the East Coast Main Line (former North British Railway) and line to Millerhill Marshalling Yard (British Railways).
...

More details
A northbound cement train photographed shortly after turning west off the ECML at Monktonhall Junction on 19 July 2018. GBRf 66736 is on the 1961 BR ...
John Furnevel 19/07/2018
View south east towards Monktonhall Junction in 1999, taken from the trackbed of the NB Lothian Lines route to Wanton Walls Junction. The ECML is on ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
View of Monktonhall Junction from eastbound (and with somewhat dirty windows) DMU. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
View from a diverted North Berwick-bound DMU. Looking west in 1989 along, on the left, the disused trackbed of the Lothian Lines line from Monktonhall ...
Bill Roberton //1989

This was a two platform station with the platforms passing under Carberry Road. The main station building was on the eastbound platform with a waiting room on the westbound. The signal box was at the west end of the westbound platform (it closed in 1924).
...

More details
The 1000 Virgin East Coast Edinburgh Waverley - London Kings Cross runs south through the site of Inveresk station on 3 May 2018. ...
John Furnevel 03/05/2018
60103 Flying Scotsman nears Inveresk with The Cathedrals Express from Kings Cross to Edinburgh on 13 May. ...
Bill Roberton 13/05/2017
The 0710 Leeds - Aberdeen Virgin Trains HST approaching Inveresk on 3 May 2018 heading for its next stop at Waverley. The eastern edge of Musselburgh ...
John Furnevel 03/05/2018
The 0900 Glasgow Central - Penzance CrossCountry service running south on the ECML through Inveresk on 3 May 2018. The route indicator signal on the ...
John Furnevel 03/05/2018

This was a short lived station. It was west of today's Wallyford station and north west of today's village.
...

More details

This is a minimal modern two platform station but with a large car park. The station is east of the original Wallyford [1st] station, which was very short lived.
...

More details
View west from the footbridge at Wallyford on 22 April 2018 with the 0845 (Sunday) Virgin Trains East Coast Newcastle - Edinburgh service having just ...
John Furnevel 22/04/2018
The CrossCountry Trains 1008 Edinburgh - Plymouth about to run through Wallyford station on 22 April 2018. ...
John Furnevel 22/04/2018
A six-car service for North Berwick pulls into Wallyford on 4 November 2017.
...
David Panton 04/11/2017
Less than 8 minutes into its journey, the 0930 VTEC Edinburgh - Kings Cross HST runs through Wallyford on Sunday 22 April 2018. ...
John Furnevel 22/04/2018

This junction was located to the west of Prestonpans station.
...

More details

This is a two platform station on the East Coast Main Line served by local trains. The main station building is on the eastbound platform. The goods yard and shed were on the north side at the east end, the site is now the car park. The signal box (1881) was on the south side of the line at the east end of the westbound platform.
...

More details
LNER Azuma 800112 passes Prestonpans with an Edinburgh to Heaton test run on 13th August 2019.
...
Bill Roberton 13/08/2019
A six-car service from North Berwick to Waverley calls at 'The Pahns' on 31
...
David Panton 31/07/2017
An afternoon Virgin Trains East Coast service runs south through Prestonpans station on 7 September 2016. ...
John Furnevel 07/09/2016
A Kings Cross bound service seen speeding through Prestonpans on 23 April 2019. In fact it was going at such speed that I wasn't expecting to capture ...
David Panton 23/04/2019


A siding was laid on the south side of the North British Railway immediately west of where the Tranent Waggonway crossed overhead. The siding was approached from the west. A short curved branch was laid from the Tranent Waggonway which turned through 90 degrees from going north to west and ran parallel to the railway siding. Wagons were tipped from above onto railway wagons. With the ...

More details

The Blindwells NCB site is being prepared for housing, but the remains of the branch's connection to the ECML so far remain clear to see. Signal B1 ...
David Panton 12/01/2019
Some sleepers and a fossilised signal mark the course of the Blindwells branch near Prestonpans. Currently this location doesn't appear in a search on ...
David Panton 23/05/2018
There was a long wait for this photograph. The driver of this Class 37 had some difficulty getting the train out of the disposal point (DP) siding ...
Charlie Niven /11/1998
The first steps in construction of the brownfield new town of Blindwells appear to be under way. The start of the long-severed NCB branch can be seen. ...
David Panton 29/03/2018

This colliery was on the south side of the North British Railway east of Prestonpans and south of Seton House. Access was controlled by Riggonhead signal box which opened in 1906.
...

More details


This was a short lived station. It was located to the south of Seton House and Seton Chapel.
...

More details

This level crossing is west of Longniddry station. The box was on the south side of the line, west of the road. A former railway cottage is opposite on the east side of the road.
...

More details
DBS 66151 passes St Germains on 17 May with empty pipe wagons from Leith South yard. ...
Bill Roberton 17/05/2011
Making waves. Privately preserved A3 Pacific 4472 Flying Scotsman passing St Germains on the approach to Edinburgh on 8 June 1969 with the Hull ...
Dougie Squance (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 08/06/1969
A Dunbar service crosses St Germains level Crossing in the East Lothian countryside on 16th August 2017. The ScotRail services from Waverley to Dunbar ...
David Panton 16/08/2017
322484 passes St Germains with the 13.20 from North Berwick to Edinburgh Waverley on 17 May 2011.
...
Bill Roberton 17/05/2011

Seton Level Crossing signalbox in 1978. This image provides a contrast to David Panton's photo Seton in 2017 [See image 60520]
...
Bill Roberton //1978
Remains of the long-closed halt at Seton Mains are as scanty as information about it. The one picture on line has a train in the way! However at least ...
David Panton 16/08/2017

This short siding was on the north side of the line, west of Longniddry station. It was accessed by reversal.
...

More details

This is a two platform station. The station had a third platform for the Haddington branch on the south side.
...

More details
A Class 380 on a North Berwick to Edinburgh service draws up at Longniddry on 11 May 2019 as an opposite working retreats. The latter is formed of a ...
David Panton 11/05/2019
A Dunbar to Edinburgh service whooshes through Longniddry on 11 May 2019. It is a mystery to me why these services call only at Musselburgh. A YouTube ...
David Panton 11/05/2019
A North Berwick to Edinburgh service calls at Longniddry on 30 June. The branch was run with only three carriage sets that day, but being a Saturday ...
David Panton 30/06/2018
A North Berwick services eases out of Longniddry on a lovely 30 June 2018. ...
David Panton 30/06/2018

This was an extremely short lived station, most likely located to the north of Ballencrieff House and farm.
...

More details

This is a two platform station served by local trains from Edinburgh Waverley to North Berwick. The original station building stands on the eastbound platform and a vintage waiting shelter on the westbound. Immediately to the east is Drem Junction where trains leave the East Coast Main Line to join the North Berwick Branch. ...

More details
A Virgin CrossCountry Voyager speeds through Drem station on 13 December 2007. The train is the 1307 Edinburgh Waverley - Reading. ...
John Furnevel 20/04/2019
385123 enters Drem station with the 14.28 from North Berwick to Edinburgh on 22nd January 2019.
...
Bill Roberton 22/01/2019
GBRf 66746, in maroon livery, draws out of Drem Down loop with the North Blyth - Fort William alumina train on 22nd January 2018.
...
Bill Roberton 22/01/2019
385123 speeds through Drem with with the 13.01 from Dunbar to Edinburgh on 22nd January 2019.
...
Bill Roberton 22/01/2019

This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. There were waiting rooms on each platform.
...

More details
Probably the slightly late running 11 30 Kings Cross to Edinburgh viewed from the Museum of Flight at East Fortune. ...
David Prescott 29/07/2018
Kings Cross - Aberdeen HST passing the former station at East Fortune on 19 September. ...
Bill Roberton 19/8/2007
View across the ECML at the former East Fortune station. May 2007. ...
John Furnevel 16/05/2007
The former station at East Fortune on the up side of the East Coast Mai Line, seen on 16 May 2007 from the road bridge. ...
John Furnevel 16/05/2007

This level crossing is between East Fortune (to the west) and East Linton. The crossing was formerly controlled by a signal box which was to the south of the crossing and on the south/west side of the line. This closed in 1965. ...

More details
91014 propels a VTEC service south at Markle level crossing on the ECML between Drem and Dunbar. ...
John McIntyre 29/04/2017

This was a two platform station with a goods yard on the south side of the line at the west end of the station, approached from a loop of the westbound line. The signal box was at the west end of the eastbound platform with the footbridge just to the east. It closed in 1977, replaced by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.
...

More details
The former goods yard at East Linton on 16 May 2007, looking east towards the main station building standing beyond the trees, with the ECML running ...
John Furnevel 16/05/2007
One of the former stations on the Edinburgh - Berwick route being considered for reopening is East Linton in rural East Lothian, some 20 miles out ...
Andy Furnevel 14/08/2018
The former East Linton station, closed 4th May 1964, seen from the delayed ex-14.00 service from Edinburgh Waverley to London King's Cross making an ...
David Bosher 28/02/2018
A southbound freight passing through East Linton on the East Coast Main Line on 7 January 1971. ...
John Furnevel 07/01/1971


This pair of sidings was on the north side of the line, approached from the east. Opposite, on the south side of the line, was Beltonford signal box. The box opened in 1895 and closed in 1966.
...

More details


This is currently a single platform station. The platform is on a loop line from the eastbound/southbound track. Network Rail plans to provide a second platform on the main westbound/northbound track.
...

More details
On platform weighing machine seen at Dunbar in 1988. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
SB Rail Tamper 73904 ‘Thomas Telford’’ seen from a passing VT East Coast service. ...
Colin McDonald 22/09/2017
Commuters alighting from the 1633 at Dunbar. ...
John Yellowlees 25/09/2017
1633 ex-Waverley ScotRail train terminating at Dunbar. ...
John Yellowlees 25/09/2017

These sidings, serving the Dunbar Cement Works, are east of Dunbar station. The site was originally also known as East Barnes. Oxwell Mains was a farm to west.
...

More details
60029 brings the empty Binliner out of the landfill sidings at Oxwellmains on 19 September as a GNER Kings Cross - Edinburgh service passes on ...
Bill Roberton 19/9/2007
LaFarge cement works, Owellmains, south of Dunbar, on Boxing Day 2004. The ECML runs through the centre of the picture and part of Torness nuclear ...
John Furnevel 26/12/2004
Two Class 26s shunt the Blue Circle depot at Oxwellmains in July 1971. ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) /07/1971
Looking south along a ghostly ECML at Owellmains on Boxing Day 2004. The LaFarge cement works on the right is shut down for the holiday period with a ...
John Furnevel 26/12/2004


This was a two platform station. The main building was on the westbound platform. The small goods yard was on the south side of the line, a loop serving a loading bank. Opposite this was a siding on the north side, approached from the east. There was a signal box at the west end of the eastbound platform.
...

More details
The former station at Innerwick on the ECML, closed to passengers in 1951 and now a private residence. View north east with the road bridge over the ...
John Furnevel 06/07/2006
A Paris bound TGV speeding past the Chateau of a small but exclusive vineyard in the Dordogne perhaps... no, an Edinburgh bound Voyager passing ...
John Furnevel 06/07/2006
A1 Pacific no 60147 North Eastern approaching Innerwick in April 1964 with the 3.48pm (SO) Edinburgh - Berwick stopping train. The old A1 road ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) /04/1964
The railwayman who inspired the photographer's life-long interest in railways - Signalman John Mack in command of Innerwick box in August 1931. ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1931


This was a two platform station about a third of a mile north of the village.
...

More details
Torness Nuclear Power Station dominates the background as a coal train rounds the curve north of Cockburspath on a fine day in the summer of 2007. ...
John Furnevel 30/06/2007
Just over 30 miles out of Edinburgh on a summer's afternoon in 2007 a GNER Waverley - Kings Cross service speeds through the sweeping curve at ...
John Furnevel 30/06/2007
EWS 66103 brings the 06.37 Mossend - West Burton power station coal train south through the site of Cockburnspath station (closed 1951) on 14 July ...
John Furnevel 14/07/2006
An up ECML express rounds the curve north of Cockburnspath on 16 August, dwarfed by Torness nuclear power station standing on the north side of the ...
John Furnevel 16/08/2007


Known to the Railway Clearing House as Pease Bridge, later known by British Railways as Pease Siding and the bridge information plaque refers to it as Pease Lye. There were a pair of sidings from the southbound line, on the east side of the railway, approached by reversal. A public siding for agricultural use. The parent station was at Cockburnspath, not far to the north west.
...

More details
Overbridge 115 on the ECML in Berwickshire now called Pease Lye. [See image
...
Charlie Niven 17/11/2018
The loading bank at Pease Lye is still visible under a pile of ballast. Also known as Pease Siding or goods station it is located on the steep climb ...
Charlie Niven 30/09/2018

This was a single tunnel, 244m long on the former North British Railway, now the East Coast Main Line.
...

More details
Work in progress in 1979 on the diversion built following the collapse of Penmanshiel Tunnel. View north towards Penmanshiel Wood, on the east side of ...
Bruce McCartney Collection //1979
In original BR livery, an HST forming the southbound Highland Chieftain tackles the 1 in 96 Penmanshiel bank in the summer of 1984. ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) //1984
Heaton A1 Pacific no 60116 Hal O' The Wynd with the up 'Queen of Scots' Pullman on the northern approach to Penmanshiel Tunnel in 1959. ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) //1959
Taken on the 18th of October 2005, this view looks directly at where the southern portal of Penmanshiel Tunnel was from the former A1 overbridge. ...
Edward Pearce 18/10/2005

This was a two platform station immediately south of the small village of Grant's House.
...

More details
A Cross Country 221 passes the loops and civil engineers sidings at the site of Grantshouse station. The Voyager was on its way from Edinburgh to ...
Mark Bartlett 07/04/2018
Undated photograph of station staff at Grantshouse. Under magnification, the chap on the right has an LNER cap but the 'Come Back to Erin' poster ...
Douglas Blades Collection //
A southbound CrossCountry service on the ECML near Grantshouse on 19 February 2012. ...
John Steven 19/02/2012
GNER Edinburgh - London service north of Grantshouse in July 2006. ...
John Furnevel 04/07/2006

This is a double track concrete viaduct over the young River Eye. The original stone bridge washed out during severe flooding in 1948 leading to diversions of East Coast Main Line trains over the Berwick - Kelso - Galashiels [1st] - Portobello East Junction route.
...

More details



This was a three platform station and a junction. Goods and mineral trains from the south could enter the branch to Duns directly, passenger trains ran to a reversing spur south of the station before entering the branch. The awkward working was due to the station opening in 1846 and branch subsequently in 1849. The main station building, stone built and two storeys, was on the southbound ...

More details
Scene at Reston, Berwickshire, looking south on 14 August 2018. The Virgin East Coast 0800 Kings Cross - Edinburgh has just run through the site of ...
Andy Furnevel 14/08/2018
A4 60019 Bittern heading north past Reston Junction signal box on 4 November 1967 with an RCTS (West Riding Branch) special from Leeds City to ...
Dougie Squance (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 04/11/1967
The former station approach west from Main Street, Reston, in March 2010, with the old station house on the left. The gate currently provides an ...
John Furnevel 08/03/2010
The 1000 Kings Cross - Edinburgh Waverley passing Reston on 29 July 1967 behind D9010 King's Own Scottish Borderer. ...
Dougie Squance (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 29/07/1967

Two bridges at Peelwalls are listed C. These both carry the double track East Coast Main Line, formerly the North British Railway. The bridge to the west carries over a two lane road and that to the east over a single track road. ...

More details

Ayton station was to the south east of Ayton village, about half a mile away.
...

More details

This station served Burnmouth, it was in the north of the village, and was the junction for Eyemouth.
...

More details
A southbound HST about a mile east of Burnmouth in 1988. The wires were still being installed. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Heaton shed's A3 Pacific no 60073 St Gatien draws the 2.25pm Edinburgh-Newcastle stopping service into Burnmouth on Saturday 27th January 1962. ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) 27/01/1962

This is the East Coast main Line crossing of England/Scotland Border between Burnmouth and Berwick-Upon-Tweed.
...

More details
Heading south towards Lamberton. ...
Ewan Crawford //2003
125 Heading north towards Lamberton Border Crossing. ...
Ewan Crawford //2003
Bridge spanning the former route of the ECML at Marshall Meadows, near Lamberton, north of Berwick-upon-Tweed in 2004. The bridge has since been ...
Colin Miller //2004
The Border sign at Lamberton. View looking south-west ... obviously. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This signal box was north of Berwick-upon-Tweed and south east of Marshall Meadows House and south of the Marshall Meadows Deviation.
...

More details





This is an island platform station. It is located at the north end of the Royal Border Bridge on the north bank of the Tweed.
...

More details
A rather grimy 43299 at the rear of the Highland Chieftain waiting to depart in National Express East Coast days. ...
Colin McDonald 10/07/2009
Berwick station viewed from the west. Road runs down to the old castle. ...
Ewan Crawford 29/09/2003
A quiet period at Berwick station on a July morning in 2005. View is north along platform 2 towards Edinburgh. The station was rebuilt by the LNER in ...
John Furnevel 05/07/2005
Detail of building on westbound platform, looking north. ...
Ewan Crawford 29/09/2003




Haddington Branch

This is a two platform station. The station had a third platform for the Haddington branch on the south side.
...

More details
A Class 380 on a North Berwick to Edinburgh service draws up at Longniddry on 11 May 2019 as an opposite working retreats. The latter is formed of a ...
David Panton 11/05/2019
A Dunbar to Edinburgh service whooshes through Longniddry on 11 May 2019. It is a mystery to me why these services call only at Musselburgh. A YouTube ...
David Panton 11/05/2019
A North Berwick to Edinburgh service calls at Longniddry on 30 June. The branch was run with only three carriage sets that day, but being a Saturday ...
David Panton 30/06/2018
A North Berwick services eases out of Longniddry on a lovely 30 June 2018. ...
David Panton 30/06/2018

This siding was not far from Longniddry on the Haddington branch. The siding was approached from the south and was on the east side of the line.
...

More details
The site of Cottyburn Siding on the Haddington railway. ...
John Yellowlees 21/10/2017

This was a single platform terminus with the platform on the south side of a loop. The line approached from Longniddry to the west. Opposite the platform, to the north, was the goods yard with shed, covered and uncovered loading banks.
...

More details
Haddington Railway Walk, the reverse side of the interpretive signalpost. ...
John Yellowlees 22/10/2017
Interpretive signalpost on the Haddington Railway Walk. ...
John Yellowlees 22/10/2017
New railway themed artwork in front of the old station at Haddington on 22nd October 2017. ...
John Yellowlees 22/10/2017
The surviving building at Haddington station is now the home of Lamp House Music. ...
John Yellowlees 22/10/2017




Portobello West Junction to Baileyfield Signal Box

Opened 1847.

This was the junction between the North British Railway main line and its short connecting curve which ran north to meet the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway's South Leith branch. The curve allowed trains from the east to join the branch and vice versa. It was opened to the west of Portobello [2nd] station.
...

More details
A complete load of rubbish. A full complement of compacted refuse containers from Powderhall eastbound through Portobello in August 2011 en route to ...
John Furnevel 01/08/2011
The Monday morning 'Binliner' crossing Baileyfield Road on the ECML through Portobello on 1 August 2011. DBS 67027 is hauling a full complement ...
John Furnevel 01/08/2011
A class 322 runs west past Portobello Junction on 1 August 2011 with the 10.36 North Berwick - Edinburgh Waverley service. The train has just passed ...
John Furnevel 01/08/2011
On the south side of the ECML between Portobello Station and Craigentinny Sidings, in an elevated position above Baileyfield Road, stood Portobello ...
Bill Jamieson 22/11/1970

This works manufacturers switches and crossings - points, the track hardware for junctions and siding turnouts. Voestalpine VAE UK
...

More details
Business at the Switch & Crossing works (to give it its former, more meaningful name) would seem to be brisk judging by the number of new rail lengths ...
David Panton 30/04/2018
The Voestalpine VAE works was fomerly known as Baileyfield S&C (switch and
...
David Panton 08/02/2018
EWS 66095 with Russian coal from Leith Docks destined for Cockenzie power station in September 2006. The train is passing the VAE Baileyfield Switch & ...
John Furnevel 16/09/2006
Loading rails in the yard at Baileyfield switch and crossing works in June 1989. [See image 6694] ...
Ewan Crawford 12/06/1989

Access to Baileyfield Switch and Crossing Works was controlled by Baileyfield Signal Box which opened when the line was doubled in the 1912. The box closed in 1940 when its responsibility was absorbed by Kings Road Signal Box to the north.
...

More details