This was a two platform station. One platform survives with a station building which has been greatly extended at the southern end.
When opened, this was a single platform station - the platform which has survived. The goods yard was at the north (or east) end of the station, approached from the north. The yard was progressively expanded with further sidings.
The loop and second platform were quite a late addition in 1910. A signal box opened in 1910. This was located to the east of the eastbound platform, opposite the goods shed.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The box closed in 1968, when the line was cut back to Aberlour from Aviemore.
Aberlour remained open until 1971 when the line east to Dufftown closed.
The station building remains, in use as a tearoom, and has been extended sympathetically. The second platform has been landscaped into an area of green and the goods shed, which survived into the early 1990s, has disappeared in recent years, now replaced with a public garden.
The town served is more properly called Charlestown of Aberlour.
A community run tea room operates from the station building. Aberlour Community Association
Imperial Cottages Halt
Knockando House Halt
Gilbey's Cottage Halt
Drummuir Curlers Platform
| Taminurie Tunnel|
Craigellachie Bridge [Road]
Bridge of Carron
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Line opened from Dufftown to Abernethy [Strathspey] via Speyside Junction. Stations opened at: Strathspey Junction, Aberlour, Carron, Blacksboat, Ballindalloch, Advie [1st], Dalvey [2nd], Cromdale, Grantown-on-Spey East and Abernethy [Strathspey].
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Old Grantown to Aviemore: Upper Strathspey
Speyside Railways: Exploring the Remains of the Great North of Scotland Railways and Its Environs
Strathspey Railway: Guide book