Blacksboat

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Blacksboat (1863-1965)

Opened on the Strathspey Railway.


Description

This is a well preserved closed station on the former Strathspey Railway. It had a single platform, on the west side of the line, and a goods yard to the south, also on the west side of the line, approached from the south.

The station building still stands, the platform remains and the goods shed also survives. The buildings became derelict after closure, but have been restored.

To the north is a road bridge, built to clear two tracks in case the line were doubled. The road is an approach to the bridge over the River Spey which replaced the Blacksboat Ferry. Blacksboat itself is on the east bank.


Tags

Station footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map