Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Strathspey Railway.
This was a two platform station to the south of the town of Grantown-on-Spey, and on the south bank of the Spey. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
There was a goods yard at the west end, approached from the west and originally one platform, which later became the eastbound platform.
The signal box (1894) was located half way along the westbound platform by the footbridge.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The line closed in 1968. The box survived until closure.
Following closure the footbridge and goods shed were demolished but the station building, which for a while was considered for relocation to Grantown-on-Spey West for the Strathspey Railway [Preserved], survived but slowly deteriorated.
The station building, actually the second on the site, was redeveloped in 2017 as the Highland Heritage and Cultural Centre.
Several railway cottages remain nearby.
Ballifurth Farm Halt
Castle Grant Platform
Dalvey Farm Halt
Boat of Garten
| River Dulnain Viaduct|
Castle Grant Estate Bridge
Spey Viaduct [Broomhill]
Boat of Garten Shed
Old Pack Horse Bridge
Carrbridge Heritage Park
Dulnain Viaduct [Carrbridge]
Castle Grant [Castle]
Carrbridge Golf Club
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Line opened from Dufftown to Abernethy [Strathspey] via Strathspey Junction. Stations opened at: Strathspey Junction, Aberlour, Carron, Blacksboat, Ballindalloch, Advie [1st], Dalvey [2nd], Cromdale, Grantown-on-Spey East and Abernethy [Strathspey].
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Old Grantown to Aviemore: Upper Strathspey
Speyside Railways: Exploring the Remains of the Great North of Scotland Railways and Its Environs
Strathspey Railway: Guide book