Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.
This was a two platform to the south west of Grantown-on-Spey. The station was at 737 ft above sea level.
The main station building, the second on the site, had a large glazed canopy and was on the southbound platform, on the town side.
A long siding passed round the rear of the northbound platform, connected at the north end. In the early days it had served a saw mill.
There was a goods yard at the south end, east side of the line, approached from the north. The siding ran to a loading bank and a goods shed was reached by reversal. Opposite the goods yard, on the west side of the loop, was a turntable which was approached from the south .
The station was rebuilt in 1887 with a new station building and signal boxes. The north box was on the east side of the north end of the loop. The south box was in the 'V' of the junction between the turntable siding and the loop, opposite the goods yard.
Both platforms were equipped with water columns. There was a water tank at the north end of the northbound platform.
In 1952 the boxes were replaced with a modern brick structure with a flat room which was built on the southbound platform just north of the station building.
The station, box and line closed in 1965.
After closure the station buildings survived until the 1980s but was eventually cleared. The station house and a loading bank survive.
It is intended that the Strathspey Railway [Preserved] reach Grantown. Much of the station site is now occupied with a small industrial estate and a station at a slightly different site is likely.
Castle Grant Platform
Ballifurth Farm Halt
Dalvey Farm Halt
Boat of Garten
| River Dulnain Viaduct|
Castle Grant Estate Bridge
Spey Viaduct [Broomhill]
Boat of Garten Shed
Old Pack Horse Bridge
Carrbridge Heritage Park
Dulnain Viaduct [Carrbridge]
Baddengorm Burn Viaduct
Castle Grant [Castle]
Carrbridge Golf Club
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A former signal man from Grantown-on-Spey West described a misleading practice. Prior to closure British Railways began a process to underestimate bookings from the station - one of the busiest stations on the Inverness to Perth route by either the Forres [2nd] or Carrbridge routes. Passengers travelling south were required to buy a ticket to Aviemore and a further portion on from Aviemore to their southern destination.
|18/10/1965||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Forres [2nd] to Aviemore closed to passengers. Stations closed at Boat of Garten, Broomhill, Grantown-on-Spey West, Dava and Dunphail. Dallas Dhu Siding (excluded) to Boat of Garten (excluded) closed to all traffic. Both Forres West Junction and Forres East Junction to Forres South Junction closed to passengers. Further south on the retained line Kincraig closed.
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2