This was a two platform station with very long platforms capable of handling 12 carriage trains as this was a former mainline. The main station building was on the northbound platform, two storeys with a timber single storey waiting room extension. The station was 985 ft above sea level.
There was a loading bank to the north of the station, on the east side of the line, approached frm the south.
The station had water columns and the Highland Railway had a reservoir off to the east.
From 1882 there were two signal boxes, the north box was on the west side opposite the goods siding. The south box was on the east side at the very south end of the loop.
After 1898 what had been the main line railway became a secondary route when the more direct route from Aviemore to Inverness via Slochd Summit opened.
The boxes were replaced with a single box in 1919. This was on the west side, roughly the same location as the north box.
This was a somewhat remote station, not far north of [the double summit at Dava Summit. It was the Post Office for the area. A signalman recalled the night shift. Other than deer lowing at night he could hear trains approaching from many miles away. Stars were intensely bright. And the smell of the peats burning in the cottages' fireplaces.
The straight through line was the northbound platform, the loop was the southbound line.
The line here passes through very high exposed moorland and considerable snow drifts were not uncommon. There were lengths of snow fences (made with pallisaded sleepers) to both north and south. Some lengths had double layers of fencing. The Heatherbell Cutting to the south was a particulalry difficult location. Blockages occured here in 1865, 1883 (when a train with livestock became stuck leading to the death 54 pigs and 33 bullocks) and 1963.
The station, loop, box and line closed in 1965.
Today the railway cottages and former station building are houses.
Due to the exposure of the trackbed much of the ballast remains relatively intact. Some sections even still have sleeper indentations.
The Dava Way runs north from Grantown-on-Spey West to Forres taking in much of the trackbed of the former railway. The Dava Way avoids the station itself but approaches the former station along the trackbed from either direction (Dava Way ).
Castle Grant Platform
Dalvey Farm Halt
Ballifurth Farm Halt
Dallas Dhu Halt
| Dava Summit|
Castle Grant Estate Bridge
River Dulnain Viaduct
Ardclach Bell Tower
Castle Grant [Castle]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1864||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Dava station opened.
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2