Boat of Insh (1863-1871)
Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.
This is a passing loop, formerly a station, to the south of (and controlled by) Inverness Signalling Centre.
It was a two platform station with a passing loop and goods yard at the north end on the west side, served from a goods loop, connecting to the southbound line (crossing the northbound) at its south end and connecting to the northbound loop at its north end. A pair of sidings ran north to serve two loading banks..
The main station building was on the northbound platform.
When first opened it was a single platform station without loop. The former northbound platform was the original.
A loop opened in 1882 with north and south boxes. Both boxes were on the west side at either end of the loop.
The boxes were replaced with a single box in 1920, on the east side half way down the loop.
The station closed to passengers in 1965 and the loop and box closed in 1966.
The loop was reinstated in 1979 and controlled from Aviemore (the former north box) from a new panel. With the closure of Aviemore box in 2019 control has passed to the Inverness Signalling Centre.
The station building remains standing, although the timber portion has been lost being replaced by a switchroom. The station building is in use as a house. Beside this are railway cottages.
To the east is Kincraig Bridge which replaced Boat of Inch, the former ferry crossing of the River Spey.
check date when reinstated
Boat of Garten
Ballifurth Farm Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Balavil Signal Box
Speyside Distillery [1st]
Sgoran Dubh Mor
Carn Ban Mor
Dalfaber Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2