Ballindalloch Viaduct (1863-1968)
This is a single track viaduct crossing the River Spey with a 198ft lattice girder and short plate bridges at either end. The train ran through the lattice. Craigellachie Bridge (now demolished) was of a similar design.
The engineers for the line was Alexander Gibb and manufacturer of the bridge George McFarlane, commemorated by rather ornate builders plates at either end ('1863 - G. McFarlane - Engineer - Dundee').
The viaduct now carries the Speyside Way .
The footpath over the bridge was closed during a major overhaul in 2012.
The name Ballindalloch Viaduct is now used, but prior to the railway's opening this name referred more to Ballindalloch Castle and its environs (to the east). The name Balnellan Viaduct was originally used (the nearby ford of the river and a house).
Gilbey^s Cottage Halt
Knockando House Halt
Imperial Cottages Halt
Dalvey Farm Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Bridge of Carron
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|