Strathspey Railway

Introduction

This railway is closed and much of the former trackbed now forms the Speyside Way (Speyside Way ).

The line ran by the River Spey serving Whisky country. The line was single track.

The railway provided a service from Boat of Garten to Dufftown. Connections were provided at Craigellachie to Elgin (via the Morayshire Railway) and Dufftown to Aberdeen (via the Keith and Dufftown Railway and the Great North of Scotland Railway). Connections were provided at Boat of Garten to Inverness and Perth (via the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway and later the Highland Railway).






Dates

17/05/1861[Strathspey Railway]
Act receives Royal assent for line from Dufftown to Abernethy
17/05/1861[Morayshire Railway]
Extension from Craigellachie to join the [Strathspey Railway] authorised.
01/07/1863Strathspey Railway
Line opened from Dufftown to Abernethy [Strathspey] via Speyside Junction. Stations opened at: Strathspey Junction, Aberlour, Carron, Blacksboat, Ballindalloch, Advie [1st], Dalvey [2nd], Cromdale, Grantown-on-Spey East and Abernethy [Strathspey].
  /  /1864[Morayshire Railway]
[Strathspey Railway]
Craigellachie renamed Dandaleith and Strathspey Junction renamed Craigellachie.
05/07/1865[Strathspey Railway]
Extension from Abernethy to Boat of Garten authorised.
30/07/1866[Strathspey Railway]
[Great North of Scotland Railway]
Strathspey Railway absorbed by Great North of Scotland Railway.
01/08/1866[Strathspey Railway]
Abernethy to Boat of Garten opened.
01/11/1867[Strathspey Railway]
Abernethy renamed Nethy Bridge.
  /  /1868Strathspey Railway
Dalvey [2nd] closed.
01/09/1868[Strathspey Railway]
Advie closed.
01/09/1868[Strathspey Railway]
Advie (New) opened, 1.21 km east of former station.
  /  /1869[Strathspey Railway]
Knockando opened (Private).
01/07/1899[Strathspey Railway]
Dalbeallie Distillery siding converted to a station - Dalbeallie.
  /  /1905[Strathspey Railway]
Knockando renamed Knockando House Halt.
  /  /1905[Strathspey Railway]
Dalbeallie renamed Knockando.
  /  /1958[Strathspey Railway]
Railcar used on Speyside line.
18/10/1965[Strathspey Railway]
Advie closed.
18/10/1965[Strathspey Railway]
Boat of Garten to Craigellachie closed to passengers.
18/10/1965[Strathspey Railway]
Aberlour closed.
06/05/1968[Keith and Dufftown Railway]
[Morayshire Railway]
[Strathspey Railway]
Elgin to Craigellachie to Keith Junction closed to passengers.
04/11/1968[Strathspey Railway]
Boat of Garten to Aberlour closed to freight.
04/11/1968[Morayshire Railway]
[Strathspey Railway]
Elgin East to Craigellachie closed to freight.
15/11/1971[Strathspey Railway]
Aberlour to Craigellachie to Dufftown closed to freight.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This is a preserved two platform station, one of the platforms being a bay and the other the former westbound through platform. Dufftown is the terminus of the Keith and Dufftown Railway Association line, a heritage railway. The original station building still stands on the platform.
...

More details
This is the trackbed for the Mortlach Branch just before the Mortlach
...
Caleb Abbott 01/11/2017
The 'Spirit of Banffshire' prepares for departure at Dufftown. ...
John Yellowlees 18/08/2017
Class 108 Driving Motor Standard Lavatory (DMSL) 51568 arrives at Dufftown on 14/04/18 ...
Caleb Abbott 14/04/2018
Several carriages of DMU stock at Dufftown on 14 October 2012 when the Strathspey Railway's Ivatt 2-6-0 was hauling services. ...
John McIntyre 14/10/2012

This was a three platform station and junction. There were two platforms on the route between Elgin East and Keith via Dufftown and one platform on the Strathspey route to Boat of Garten. To the north on the Elgin route the line almost immediately crossed the Craigellachie Bridge to reach Dandaleith.
...

More details
Approaching Craigellachie along the Speyside line from the Aberlour direction in November 2005, about to pass below the A95 road bridge and enter the ...
John Furnevel 02/11/2005
Standard 4MT 2-6-4T 80121 at Craigellachie with the 0940 Elgin-Aberdeen service. ...
David Murray-Smith 05/04/1960
The base of a distant signal still stands alongside the trackbed east of Craigellachie on the way to Dufftown in July 2009, some 38 years after ...
John Gray 27/07/2009
A view along Viaduct 240 looking towards Dufftown. ...
John Gray 27/07/2009

This was a two platform station. One platform survives with a station building which has been greatly extended at the southern end.
...

More details
Station at Aberlour, now the Speyside Way Visitor Centre. ...
Crinan Dunbar 14/10/2015
Approach to the 1863 station building at Aberlour from Victoria Terrace in May 2012. ...
John Furnevel 24/05/2012
The Old Station Tearoom at Aberlour in February 2017. Once the main station entrance from Victoria Terrace. The station closed to passengers in ...
Andy Furnevel 01/02/2017
This milepost is still in place on the old trackbed half a mile north of Aberlour. ...
John Gray 27/07/2008

This was a single platform halt. ...

More details
The former Dailuaine Halt on the Speyside line seen in May 2012 looking towards Carron. Located some two and a half miles south west of Aberlour and a ...
John Furnevel 24/05/2012
The platform still exists but is showing a marked deterioration since my last visit. The name board has gone and there is evidence of subsidence. [See ...
John Gray 26/07/2008
Dailuanie Halt platform. ...
John Gray //

Also known as Carron Bridge.
...

More details
This is the rail and road viaduct at Bridge of Carron, just east of Carron station seen in 2012. It now carries an unclassified road and the Speyside ...
Ewan Crawford 24/05/2012
Combined road and rail bridge at Carron. This bridge over the River Spey was built 1863 for the Great North of Scotland Railway by engineers McKinnon ...
John Gray 27/05/2018
This is Carron Bridge, once shared by both road and rail. Looking towards Aberlour, this is a view of the railway trackbed with the road on the left. ...
John Gray 26/07/2008

This was a two platform station with a goods yard to the north, approached from the east. There was a level crossing to the immediate west of the station, access to the Imperial Distillery.
...

More details
Carron Station. The building still stands and appears to be in good condition,over fifty years after closure.It would be nice to see it used for ...
John Gray 27/05/2018
The once extensive goods yard at Carron with the old station to the right. Notice the extensive platform, once used to load whiskey, cattle and all ...
Clive Meredith 05/06/2016
Carron Station. This delightful little station nestled deep in the Strathspey hills commands an admiring glimpse into a long past era. The platforms ...
Clive Meredith 05/06/2016
Peering through the window of Carron Station transports the observer back to the 1960's. The wooden benches for waiting passengers, the weighing ...
Clive Meredith 05/06/2016

This halt was alongside the Imperial Cottages and to the west of the Imperial Distillery and Carron station. The distillery cottages were built on the north side of the line.
...

More details

This was a private short single platform halt built in timber on the north side of the line serving Knockando House.
...

More details


This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The station did not open with the line in 1863, but much later in 1899. It was initially named Dalbeallie for a farm to the east, becoming Knockando in 1905.
...

More details
The signalbox at Knockando during cosmetic restoration in April 1977. ...
John McIntyre /04/1977
Room with a view. Looking out of Knockando's main station building on the eastbound platform to the now nameless westbound platform in May 2012. Which ...
Ewan Crawford 24/05/2012
About half a mile south of Knockando is the Allt Adhair Viaduct spanning a gulley and burn for which it is named. The view is looking south over the ...
John Gray 21/10/2009
Between Knockando and Blacksboat there are several bridges over burns. The largest span is over the Allt Adhair Burn wich is spanned by this viaduct. ...
John Gray 21/10/2009

This is a well preserved closed station on the former Strathspey Railway. It had a single platform, on the west side of the line, and a goods yard to the south, also on the west side of the line, approached from the south.
...

More details
In 1964 the Great North of Scotland trespass sign remained on one of the station doors at Blacksboat, 41 years after the company was grouped into the ...
Andrew Saunders /08/1964
Old station building at Blacksboat, photographed from the trackbed on 24 May 2012. ...
John Furnevel 24/05/2012
View north west towards Blacksboat station on 24 May 2012 with the River Spey behind the camera. ...
John Furnevel 24/05/2012
Blacksboat station and goods shed, September 2004 ...
John Furnevel 12/09/2004

This was a two platform station at Cragganmore, Ballindalloch Castle was two miles away by road. Nearer was the Cragganmore distillery. The distillery was intentionally opened here due to the proximity of the railway.
...

More details
Approaching Ballindalloch station from the west in May 2012. The Spey viaduct lies off to the left just beyond the curve. [See image 39157] ...
John Furnevel 24/05/2012
Former Ballindalloch Station building now used as hostel accommodation and is in very good condition. ...
John Gray //
The former station at Ballindalloch in May 2012 looking south west towards Grantown-on-Spey. ...
John Furnevel 24/05/2012
Ballindalloch Station had a passing loop and quite a large goods yard. The yard itself had two loops and four sidings. The view looks towards Advie. ...
John Gray 20/10/2009

The original Advie station was a halt at the north end of the road from Mains of Advie. It was short lived and replaced by Advie [2nd], opened to the west. ...

More details

A single platform station with a short platform and siding at the west end, the platform was extended, a new building (in timber) provided and goods yard expanded. The platform was on the south side of the line.
...

More details

This short lived station was east of Mains of Dalvey. The station site seems to appear on the 1870 OS map, with possibly a lifted siding served from the west. ...

More details

This halt was at Main of Dalvey, the halt separated from the farm by the main road. The platform was on the south side of the line close to Bridge of Dalvey.
...

More details

This was a single platform station. The single storey station building is now a house. Cromdale itself is a little to the south.
...

More details
Cromdale station nameboard. This station has been well restored by its owner and is one of the highlights of the Speyside Way. A five star attraction. ...
John Gray 03/08/2006
Elgin-Aviemore line. Bridge at Cromdale Station looking South in August 1986. ...
John Gray /08/1986
This is an old coach on the Speyside Way near Ardbeg Farm, North of Cromdale, this is a mile or so from the Speyside railway line. ...
Alan Cormack 06/04/2015
Closure notices on display at Cromdale station on 2nd November 1968. In these pre-vandalism days, the notice advising passenger closure three years ...
David Spaven 02/11/1968

This was a two platform station to the south of the town of Grantown-on-Spey, and on the south bank of the Spey.
...

More details
The 7 & 1/4 inch gauge 0-4-0T steam locomotive 'Lady Susan', on loan to the
...
John Gray 09/12/2018
Appropriately themed furnishings in the restaurant coach at Grantown-on-Spey East on 6 February 2019. ...
Andy Furnevel 06/02/2019
The diesel engine and ride-on coach of the 7 & 1/4 inch miniature railway at Grantown East on 9th December 2018.
...
John Gray 09/12/2018
Looking to Boat of Garten showing the eastbound station building at Grantown-on-Spey East. ...
Clive Meredith /06/2015

This farm halt was alongside Balliefurth Farm on the line to the immediate west. The halt was alongside the road bridge crossing the line. It was opened by British Railways.
...

More details

The former station building is now a bunkhouse. Abernethy Bunkhouses ...

More details
The old station at Nethy Bridge in May 2002 looking south along the Strathspey route towards Aviemore. By this time the building had been converted ...
John Furnevel 15/05/2002
A view of the trackbed looking towards Nethy Bridge. ...
John Gray 13/07/2007
Nethy Bridge 2 - 2002. ...
John Furnevel /05/2002
The railway from Boat of Garten to Craigellachie once passed this way. ...
John Gray 13/07/2007

This was a single track viaduct over the River Spey close to Broomhill Junction. The girders have been removed but the piers remain. ...

More details
The remains of the GNSR bridge over the River Spey near Nethy Bridge en route to Boat of Garten in August 1982. The view looks north. ...
Peter Todd /08/1982
Another view of the old viaduct piers at Nethy Bridge, this time from the Boat of Garten side of the River Spey. ...
John Gray 13/07/2007
The Speyside Line ran from Craigellachie to Boat of Garten. It opened throughout in 1866 and closed throughout in 1968. It connected The Great North ...
John Gray 11/08/2018
Looking towards the embankment and remains of the viaduct over the River Spey where the GNSR line diverged at Broomhill Junction and made its way to ...
Graham Morgan 06/07/2007

This was the point of divergence for the Strathspey Railway from the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway. It was not a junction in the conventional sense.
...

More details
Caledonian Railway 0-6-0 No.828 has just left Broomhill for the return
...
John Gray 14/07/2019
Back in action on the Strathspey Railway, after an overhaul, Caledonian Railway 812 Class 0-6-0 No.828 is pictured at the head of the regular Sunday ...
John Gray 02/04/2017
It is -7C and in the freezing air, steam and smoke combine to screen the coaches behind Caledonian Railway 0-6-0 No.828 as it trundles along past ...
John Gray 11/12/2017
A fine sunny morning finds Caledonian Railway 0-6-0 No.828 with the
...
John Gray 08/04/2018


This is a preserved station on the Strathspey Railway. The architect of the station building, the present building dating from around 1904, was William Roberts. It was a junction station, the line from Perth dividing here to go north to Forres or north east via Strathspey to Keith. The station was 712 ft above sea level.
...

More details
Caledonian Railway 812 Class 0-6-0 No.828 departs Boat of Garten for
...
John Gray 14/07/2019
Taking on water at Boat of Garten at the north end on the member's special. ...
Alan Cormack 05/11/2017
Looking north towards the buffer stops on the east side of Boat of Garten station in May 2002. Stabled in the siding is Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST no. 2 ...
John Furnevel 14/05/2002
Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-0 46512 runs over the bridge at Kinchurdy, near Boat of Garten, with the afternoon train to Broomhill on 22nd June 2019.
...
John Gray 22/06/2019