Opened on the Strathspey Railway.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop. The station did not open with the line in 1863, but much later in 1899. It was initially named Dalbeallie for a farm to the east, becoming Knockando in 1905.
The goods yard was to the north of the station, approached from the west, from the eastbound loop. To the west was the line to Tamdhu Distillery which was reached by running west from the eastbound loop and then reversal. The signal box opened with the station.
The station closed to passengers in 1965. The line closed between Aviemore and Aberlour in 1968.
The station remains in a good state of preservation with its main station building (on the eastbound platform, closest to the access road), parcels building and signal box ('C listed) at the west end on the eastbound platform. The station was been preserved by the nearby Tamdhu Distillery and is now re-named 'Tamdhu'. It was (and is?) a visitor's centre for the distillery.
Gilbey^s Cottage Halt
Knockando House Halt
Imperial Cottages Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Bridge of Carron
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Old Grantown to Aviemore: Upper Strathspey
Speyside Railways: Exploring the Remains of the Great North of Scotland Railways and Its Environs
Strathspey Railway: Guide book