Balquhidder [2nd]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Balquhidder [2nd] (1905-1965)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.

Opened on the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a three platform station where the Callander and Oban Railway met the branch east to St Fillans and Comrie. It replaced Balquhidder [1st].

Balquhidder station was entirely rebuilt for the opening of the line east in 1905. The original Balquhidder [1st] signal box closed in 1904, replaced by Balquhidder East box at the south of the new station and on the west side. The newarby road was realigned to the north. The station was re-aligned a little to the south and a locomotive shed provided beside the existing goods yard which was now in the 'V' of the junction. The approach to the goods yard was altered to be from the branch platform. The first short length of the branch belonged to the C&O.

There were two platforms on the main line, the route west to Oban and one platform on the St Fillans line, with a run-round loop. Trains from the main line could access the platform line of the branch from either end. Platforms were linked by subway.

Being at the south end of a long climb up to Glenoglehead there were water columns on the platforms.

Balquhidder West box, opened 1905, was in the 'V' of the junction at the north end of the station. The double track of the station's main platforms loop was on its west side and behind on the east side was the northern approach from the main line to the platform line and loop on the branch (east) side of the station.

After closure of the branch (1952) the station became a shadow of its former self. The island platform building's canopies were cut back and the branch platform line lifted. The building suffered from subsidence. The branch was lifted in 1959. The loop was taken out with the closure of the north and south boxes in March 1965 and the station became just a single platform - the former northbound main line platform. The line closed completely in September after the rockfall in Glen Ogle.

The site is now a caravan park (Balquhidder Braes ) with portions of platform. Particularly notable is former subway entrance with white glazed bricks which can be seen on the right of the main road. To the north portions of the goods platform can be found and the substantial road bridge over the line to the south remains.

The station name is a curiosity. It was named Lochearnhead before the branch opened, including a new Lochearnhead station, and the name Balquhidder (about 2.5 miles distant) was used. Balquhidder was better served by Kingshouse Platform to the south. The naming has given rise to the name Balquhidder Station applying to the cottages and former railway houses in the immediate vicinity.


Tags

Station junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map