Lochearnhead [2nd]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Lochearnhead [2nd] (1904-1951)

Opened on the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This closed station was the second to have this name, the original Lochearnhead [1st] was on the nearby Callander and Oban Railway. Unlike the second station it was some distance from the village, the second station was actually in the village above it and on the west side.

The second station was on the Balquhidder [2nd] to Crieff [2nd] route with an island platform. The station building is canopied. To its south was the signal box, opened with the line. This was tall enough to see over the roof of the station building. Access to the station was by a subway. In common with many lines built around this time, much of the station was built in concrete. The station provided a passing loop on what was otherwise a single track railway.

The generously laid out goods yard was on the west side and was approached from the south.

The station was briefly a terminus between 1904 and 1905 while the line on to Balquhidder [2nd] was completed. This portion crossed the impressive Edinchip Viaduct [LSFCR].

The station and its box closed for the duration of the Great War.

The box closed in 1921, replaced with a ground frame. The station and line closed to passengers in 1951.

The station remains in a good state of preservation. This is due to its being an an outdoor centre and accommodation for a scout group, who restored the station. (Hertfordshire Scouts - Lochearnhead Station )

The former goods yard approach road is now the entry to the station site.

The disused Lochearnhead Viaduct is to the north.


Tags

Station terminus