Lochearnhead Viaduct

Location type


Name and dates

Lochearnhead Viaduct (1904-1951)

Opened on the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway.


This is a single track mass concrete viaduct on a tight curve with nine arches. It is 141 yds long overall and 50 ft high. The viaduct crosses the south end of Glen Ogle, and the Ogle Burn, at the west end of Loch Earn at Lochearnhead. It is akin to the much more famous Glenfinnan Viaduct but no longer carries a railway. It has nine arches.

The viaduct is splendid and is perhaps best seen from the footpath which now occupies the former trackbed of the Callander and Oban Railway on the hillside above, best viewed in Winter when there are fewer leaves.




  /  /1907Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway
Authorisation to buy land at Derry Farm Crossing Place (about half a mile east of Lochearnhead Viaduct). Permission to build railwaymen's houses.


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

The Railways of Upper Strathearn: Crieff - Balquhidder