This line is closed. It was a scenic single track line which ran west from Comrie by the River Earn, which was crossed several times, climbing until it reached St Fillans from which it ran above the north shore of Loch Earn to Lochearnhead where it turned south to meet the Callander and Oban Railway at Balquhidder [2nd].
On its route it crossed quite a number of large mass concrete viaducts. It was intentionally screened with tree planting to please land owners and passed through one very short tunnel. Today much of it is walkable and the former stations at St Fillans and Lochearnhead remain preserved in a good state of repair.
|/ /1897||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway authorised between Balquhidder Junction and Comrie.
|/ /1899||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Authorisation of diversion near Tynreoch.
|/ /1900||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Extension of time to build the line.
|/ /1901||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Extension of time to build the line.
|01/10/1901||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Opened from Comrie to St Fillans, extending the existing line west from Comrie.
|/ /1902||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Authorisation for diversion by at Lochearnhead [1st], by the Callander and Oban Railway, in connection with the opening of the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway.
|01/08/1902||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway
Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
|01/07/1904||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Line extended from St Fillans to Lochearnhead [2nd] for passengers.
|18/07/1904||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Opened to goods and minerals from St Fillans to Lochearnhead [2nd].
|/04/1905||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Balquhidder Shed, a single road timber shed with a 60ft turntable opened at Balquhidder [2nd]. A sub-shed of Perth.
|01/05/1905||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Line extended from Lochearnhead [2nd] to the then new Balquhidder [2nd] station on the Callander and Oban Railway.
|/ /1907||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Authorisation to buy land at Derry Farm Crossing Place (about half a mile east of Lochearnhead Viaduct). Permission to build railwaymen^s houses.
|/06/1940||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Balquhidder Shed closed, alternative date 1942.
|28/02/1942||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Balquhidder Shed closed, alternative date 1940.
|/ /1945||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Balquhidder Shed was demolished previously, but from this date the turntable sidings and pit become out of use.
|25/09/1950||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Balquhidder [2nd] (excluded) to Comrie closed to freight, but remains open to passengers.
|01/10/1951||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Balquhidder [2nd] (excluded) to Comrie (excluded) closed to passengers (and completely).
|/11/1999||Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie Railway|
Kendrum Burn Viaduct (Edinchip Viaduct [LSFCR]) to have central span to be replaced at a cost of £55,000 to allow re-opening as a footpath.
These locations are along the line.
This was a two platform station. At first, when a terminus, a platform and station building were not provided on the up side. After extension a second platform and building were provided.
This was a single track viaduct to the west of Comrie station on the extension west to Lochearnhead [2nd]. It was a mass concrete viaduct. From east to west the viaduct had two concrete arches, a plate girder over the main road, six concrete arches, a large girder section over the River Earn and a final two concrete arches. The concrete was dressed to give the appearance of stone, a ...More details
This was a timber platform across the single track from a combined signal box and house (as found on the Callander and Oban Railway). There was a siding. The line closed in 1951.
This is a single track mass concrete viaduct of three arches.
This is a disused mass concrete viaduct with a central bowstring girder. The bridge is slightly skew for the River Earn below and has small approach arches on either side.
This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the westbound platform, there was a waiting shelter on the eastbound platform and a signal box (^B^ listed). The buildings were of Caledonian Railway style. There was a goods loop to the north and a goods yard, approached from the west.
This is a disused single bore tunnel with mass concrete portals at either end.
This was a single track viaduct with concrete abutments and a girder section, now missing. It crossed over the Glentarken Burn.
This is a disused single track three arch concrete viaduct. It crosses the Allt Bhacaidh.
This is a disused single track concrete viaduct with a concrete arch to the west, passing over the Beich Burn, and a plate girder to the east crossing over the minor dirt road to Ardveich Farm.
This is a single track mass concrete viaduct on a tight curve with nine arches. It is 141 yds long overall and 50 ft high. The viaduct crosses the south end of Glen Ogle, and the Ogle Burn, at the west end of Loch Earn at Lochearnhead. It is akin to the much more famous Glenfinnan Viaduct but no longer carries a railway. It has nine arches.
This closed station was the second to have this name, the original Lochearnhead [1st] was on the nearby Callander and Oban Railway. Unlike the second station it was some distance from the village, the second station was actually in the village above it and on the west side.
This is an impressive single track mass concrete viaduct crossing the Kendrum Burn east of Edinchip House. From south to north there were five tall concrete arches, a long 82 ft girder section and then two concrete arches. Also known as Kendrum Burn Viaduct.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Branch Lines of Strathearn: Tourists, Tatties and Trains
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Railways of Upper Strathearn: Crieff - Balquhidder