This was a double track junction immediately west of Greenhill Lower Junction. The 1886 Bonnybridge Canal Branch (Caledonian Railway) met the 1848 Greenhill branch of the Caledonian Railway. Going east the Bonnybridge line passed through the northern two platforms of Greenhill Lower station.
To the west Bonnybridge Junction Yard, approached from the east from the branch, was on the north side of the Caledonian Railway.
The 1886 signal box, opened with the branch, was a little way to the south of the junction with Greenhill Lower station^s cattle bank sidings just to the north. The Greenhill Lower Junction to Greenhill Upper Junction line was just to the south (and the SCR^s goods yard). It was a particularly tall signal box with a timber upper overhanging the brick base. This box also replaced Greenhill Creosote Signal box (for Greenhill Creosote Works on the link between Greenhill Upper Junction and Greenhill Lower Junction) and Greenhill Middle box (between Greenhill South Junction (1st) and Greenhill Lower Junction). Opening of the branch led to several alterations to the layout. This box was one of those unusual boxes controlling two lines approaching a junction but not the actual junction.
The branch was singled in 1929 (southbound line lifted) and closed to passengers in 1930. It remained open until 1964 when the junction box closed.
The main line remains open today and is electrified. The bridge just to the east of the junction has been replaced losing the northern two span which crossed over the Bonnybridge branch line and Bonnybridge Junction Yard approach.
Bonnybridge Canal Goods
Falkirk Camelon [1st]
| Greenhill Creosote Works|
Greenhill Shed [CR]
Bonnybridge Junction Yard
Glenyards Brick Works
Greenhill Goods [CR]
Greenhill South Signal Box
Greenhill Lower Junction
Greenhill Upper Junction
Dykehead Firebrick Works
Caledonia Stove and Iron Works
Milnquarter Brick Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/08/1886||Bonnybridge Canal Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Opened from Bonnybridge Junction through Greenhill to passengers to Bonnybridge [CR].
|28/07/1930||Bonnybridge Canal Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Bonnybridge Junction to Bonnybridge [CR] closed to passengers. Later, Bonnybridge [CR] becomes Bonnybridge Canal Goods.
|07/12/1964||Bonnybridge Canal Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Closed from Bonnybridge Canal Goods to Bonnybridge Junction.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian