This former junction was formed between the 1826 Monkland and Kirktintilloch Railway and a short connection made by the 1848 Caledonian Railway which ran south crossing the 1831 Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway on the level en route and meeting its 1843 branch to Coatbridge Central at Garnqueen South Junction.
By following this branch, and its extensions, south the railway reached the Caledonian Railway again at Garriongill Junction and continued south to Carlisle.
Going north the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway was followed as far as Garnqueen South Junction from which the Caledonian Railway was reached again to continue north to Stirling and the north.
This short section between Gartsherrie East and Garnqueen South Junction was owned by the North British Railway (from 1865) but as it formed part of the Caledonian Railway's main line had restrictions placed on it, dating from the 1840s, on running mineral trains which could block expresses.
On the original M&K route, going south east from the junction, was its Gartsherrie [M and K] station where the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway met the M&K line. Gartgill Weighs were on the east side of the line, just to the south, with a connection to Gartsherrie Iron Works and the Weldless Chain Works on the west side. There were headshunts for the works in the 'V' of the junction between the M&K and Garnkirk lines.
The box controlled both the M&K and Caledonian junction and the M&K and Garnkirk junction.
The signal box was replaced in 1916. The new box was on the west side of the junction with the former Garnkirk/Caledonian railway level crossing just to the south. (Same location as the old box).
Gartsherrie Iron Works closed in 1967. Around this time the Gartsherrie East box suffered fire damage and although it remained open a short while it also closed in 1967 and the connection was taken out. A small yard Gunnie Yard [2nd] was to remain here, but was only accessed from Sunnyside Junction after Gartsherrie East Junction was taken out.
The main line remains open and is now electrified, including the 1826 portion of the M&K.
Gartsherrie [M and K]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
| Gartsherrie North Junction|
Gartsherrie South Junction
Weldless Chain Works
Gartsherrie Colliery Pits Nos 8 and 9
Gunnie Yard [2nd]
Kilgarth Signal Box
Kilgarth Slag Hill
Coatbridge Freightliner Terminal
Gunnie North Signal Box
Gartsherrie Ore Sidings
Heatherbell Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1971||Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway|
Gartsherrie East Junction closed, line between here and the north end of Gunnie Yard lifted.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian