Location type


Name and dates

Floriston (1853-1950)

Station code: National Rail
Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


This was a two platform station to the north of Floriston Level Crossing. The railway remains open and is the West Coast Main Line.

The main station building was on the southbound platform and the goods yard, just a single siding, was south of the level crossing. The signal box was on the west side, south of the crossing.

In 1918 the line south between Floriston and Rockliffe was quadrupled by opening two long loops on either side of the line.

The station was west of the farm of Floristonrigg. Early OS maps show the name Floristown for the station.

The station closed in 1950 and nothing remains. The box lasted until 1967, replaced by automatic barriers. The line to the south is still quadruple track and to the north there are three lines, a loop on the east side running south from Mossband Junction to Kingmoor Marshalling Yard. This third line passes through the site of the southbound platform.


Station level crossing

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)

Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)

Caledonian Railway

Caledonian Railway Carriages

Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style

Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock

Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press

Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

Callander & Oban Railway Through Time

Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)

Signalling the Caledonian Railway

The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s

The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History

The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)

Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway

Vanished Railways of West Lothian