Merchiston

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Merchiston (1882-1965)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station in the south western suburb of Edinburgh on the approach to Edinburgh Princes Street station.

There were station buildings on each platform and no goods yard. (Sidings for the Edinburgh and Dumfriesshire Dairy were later installed closer to Edinburgh.)

To the south west was Slateford Junction [1st]. With the closure of Princes Street and its approach in 1965, Merchiston closed and trains were diverted onto the approach to Haymarket station.

The platforms remain and the trackbed is now the approach road for Slateford Yard.

04/08/2018

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map




Nearby stations
Merchiston
Exhibition [NBR]
Exhibition [CR]
Gorgie East
Craiglockhart
Slateford
Murrayfield Stadium [Tram]
Dalry Road
Slateford [2nd]
Balgreen [Tram]
Balgreen Halt
Murrayfield
Morningside Road
Haymarket
Haymarket [Tram]

Other railway and industry locations
Slateford Junction [1st]
Edinburgh Brewery
Gorgie West Goods
Gorgie East Minerals
Gorgie East Goods
Craiglockhart Junction
Slateford Yard
Slateford Railway Laundry
Gorgie Mills
Edinburgh and Dumfriesshire Dairy
Gorgie Junction
Slateford Junction
Granton Junction
George Watson^s College
Tourist/other
North British Distillery
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.