This junction is where the West Coast Main Line from the south divides, the western line running to Glasgow Central (and the north) and eastern to Edinburgh Waverley. Carstairs station is just to the north on the Glasgow fork.
This location was known as Strawfrank Junction. It is the southern end of the 1872 curve from [[Dolphinton Junction]. A signal box opened with the junction, a tall box on the west side of the line just north of a road bridge. The box was built 3 storeys high to see over the bridge. This was a double track junction.
The box lasted until preparations for electrification of the West coast Main Line. It was replaced by a temporary panel box at Carstairs station.
The junction name was changed to Carstairs South Junction. The Edinburgh line's connection was turned into a single lead junction, the line doubling to the immediate north of the junction.
| Carstairs East Junction|
Carstairs No 1 Signal Box
Pettinain Signal Box
Carstairs Sand Pit Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian