Viaduct Goods (1877-1965)
Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
This goods yard was just north of Carlisle Citadel. It was on the west side of the passenger line and the east side of the Carlisle Goods Loop (Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee) from which it diverged at Caldew Junction, access being from the north.
The yard was created in 1877 when the northern approach to Carlisle was realigned leading to the closure of West Walls Goods and Wanton Walls Shed for the new alignment. The shed site became the Town Dyke Orchard.
The yard had a large two road goods shed, cattle pens and a grain store.
Out of town marshalling sidings were opened at Kingmoor by Kingmoor Shed, the replacement for Wanton Walls Shed, as marshalling trains on site was awkward due to space constraints.
The yard closed in 1965. The site is now an industrial estate served by Viaduct Estate Road and car parks.
London Road [Carlisle]
Port Carlisle Junction
Other railway and industry locations
Carlisle North Junction
West Walls Goods
Wanton Walls Shed
Dentonholme South Junction
Dentonholme North Goods Junction
Dentonholme North Junction
Dalston Road Siding
Rome Street Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian