Braidwood

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Braidwood (1849-1962)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station with a goods yard on the west side, served from the north. A lattice footbridge connected the platforms.

Nellfield Saw Mills were served by the goods sidings. Further sidings were on the east side. To the north, on the east side, was a siding to the Meadow Brick Works. The signal box was on the east side, north of the platforms.

The station closed in 1962 and the box was replaced in 1973 by the Motherwell Signalling Centre in the run up to electrification.

The station building remains on the former southbound platform. An enclosed timber canopy has been removed from it. The building bears some resemblance to that at Blackford.

The next station north was Carluke and south Cleghorn.

07/11/2019

Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map




Nearby stations
Braidwood
Carluke
Tillietudlem
Netherburn
Law Junction
Lanark
Stirling Road
Auchenheath
Cleghorn
Overtown [1st]
Overtown [2nd]
Morningside [CR]
Morningside [1st]
Morningside [NBR]
Dalserf

Other railway and industry locations
Nellfield Brick Works
Tileworks
Fiddlersgill Signal Box
Brickworks
Crossgates Quarry
Scottish Terra-Cotta and Metallic Brick Works
Coal Pit
Craigenhill Quarries
Ironworks
Hallcraig Brickworks
Whiteshaw Foundry
Hallcraig Colliery
Craigenhill Summit
Castlehill Signal Box [CR]
Annabella or Threepwoodbank
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.