Cleghorn Junction (1855-1864)
Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
Opened on the Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was a two platform station nearly two and a half miles north of Lanark.
After the opening of the Lanark Railway in 1855 it became a junction station for the new branch. Trains from the Motherwell and Glasgow direction could take the branch south.
There were two short platforms on the west side of the level crossing. A goods shed was to the west of the station, on the north side, approached from the east. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. Waiting shelters were on each platform.
The proximity of the goods yard prevented the platforms being lengthened and the east end was constrained by the level crossing.
The station house remains standing, little else remains of the station. Cleghorn Junction to the east of the level crossing and Mouse Water viaduct remains open for Lanark.
Other railway and industry locations
Silvermuir South Junction
Silvermuir East Junction
Caledonian Mineral Oil Works
Smyllum East Junction
Smyllum West Junction
Smyllum South Junction
Craigenhill Lime Mines
Lanark Race Course
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian