This railway has largely re-opened as the Borders Railway (Network Rail).
The line was an integral part of the former Waverley Route from Edinburgh to Carlisle via Galashiels and Hawick.
Originally to be built by the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway Company, the company was bought by the North British Railway before construction began and was opened as the larger company's Hawick Branch.
The line closed in 1969.
It re-opened in 2015 from Sheriffhall south to Galashiels and Tweedbank on the 6th of September.
The northern portion from Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction never closed and Brunstane station opened in 2002. Newcraighall opened on a portion of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway at the same time. From Newcraighall a new line, the Millerhill Deviation (Network Rail) takes the line south to Sheriffhall via a new station at Shawfair.
The line is supported and promoted by the Borders Railway Community Rail Partnership .
This line was built to carry passengers, goods and livestock from the border towns of Hawick, Newtown St Boswells, Galashiels and the surrounding area to Edinburgh.
The re-opened line carries a passenger service from Tweedbank via Galashiels, where there is a transport interchange, north to Edinburgh.
The re-opened line carries passengers from Tweedbank and Galashiels to Edinburgh Waverley.
|/ /1845||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1845||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (as yet unbuilt) absorbed by North British Railway.
|14/07/1847||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction, Cairney to Millerhill, re-alignment at Sheriffhall and Dalhousie to Gorebridge opened.
|01/05/1848||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Line extended from Gorebridge to Bowland.
|20/04/1849||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Line opened from Bowland to Hawick.
|/10/1852||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Newstead station closed
|01/07/1862||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Hawick [1st] closed to passengers on opening of the [Border Union Railway (North British Railway)].
|/ /1870||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Fountainhall station masters house built.
|17/07/1871||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Auction Mart started by John Swan & Sons by the St Boswells station
|/ /1901||Lauder Light Railway|
Opened, new signal box opened at Fountainhall for the new junction on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).
|14/12/1916||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
A major landslip at Ladhope Tunnel, just west of Galashiels station, blocks line.
|/ /1923||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Melrose station's timber roof removed.
|/ /1964||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Fountainhall becomes de-staffed.
|06/01/1969||[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway][Marquis of Lothians Waggonway][Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)][Border Union Railway][Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]|
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
|28/04/1969||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Gorebridge, Lady Victoria Pit, (excluded) to Hawick [2nd] officially closed to goods.
|/ /1989||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Millerhill Yard Junction (by Millerhill MPD, approximate location of the former Cairnie station) to Millerhill Junction (south of the former Millerhill station) closed.
|03/06/2002||[Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)]|
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction and Niddrie South Junction to Newcraighall re-opened to passengers with a stations at Brunstane and Newcraighall. A long reversing spur was provided south of Newcraighall from the new Newcraighall Junction.
|06/09/2015||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)Millerhill Deviation (Network Rail)|
Newcraighall North Junction to Tweedbank opened to passengers with stations at Shawfair, Eskbank, Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Stow, Galashiels and Tweedbank. Newcraighall Junction renamed Newcraighall South Junction.
The original line ran south from Dalhousie to Gorebridge, Galashiels, Newtown St Boswells and Hawick. As built the line was double track and the northern approach, via the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway, was re-gauged and partly re-aligned. A short section was also opened from Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction upon which the 2002 Brunstane station opened, whereas Newcraighall is on the older Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This was the junction between the North British Railway's line from Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction and an isolated curve of the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway from Niddrie West Junction which enabled trains from the southside line to approach Edinburgh Waverley from the east, thus completing a circle line and provide a route for goods ...More details
This was the second Niddrie station, shown on contemporary OS maps as Niddry Junction.
This junction is in the south east of Edinburgh. It controls the junction between the Edinburgh Waverley to Tweedbank line and the goods only line from Slateford and Haymarket. It is a busy location with freight, passenger trains and depot traffic, made difficult by the single track line north to Portobello.
This was a two platform station just north of the 1874 Millerhill Junction for the Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway. It was built on the new alignment of the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) which replaced the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway's original alignment.
This location is out of use. The junction was immediately south of Millerhill station (1849). It was the junction between the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) of 1847 and the Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway of 1874. (The 1831 Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway alignment was off to the west.)
This short lived station replaced Sheriffhall [1st]. It was probably located to the south side of the A6106 overbridge and opened with the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).
This is a double track twenty three arch viaduct over the River South Esk. The height over the South Esk is 80ft and the viaduct is around 1093 ft long. The southernmost arch is skew and crosses the A7. A minor road crossed under the second arch from the north end and the River South Esk passes under the third and forth arches. Alternative names include Lothianbridge, Dalhouse and South Esk ...More details
This siding was at the south east end of the Newbattle Viaduct. It connected the new Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) to the former Marquis of Lothian's Waggonway at the south east end of the original Newbattle Viaduct [1st]. The bridge was removed but its approach was now used as a reversal to access the line east to Bryans Pit and other mines.
This was a two platform station. It was north of the new Newtongrange station and south of the Newbattle Viaduct. It replaced Dalhousie station which was located to the north of the viaduct. The relocation was due to the mining village becoming established at Newtongrange and the inconvenience of the original Dalhousie terminus of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. ...More details
This is a single platform station to the south of the original Newtongrange [1st] station.
This was a rail served coal depot. It was originally a loading point for coal from opencast (or non rail served mines). The site covered a large area on the west side of the Waverley Route just south of Newtongrange [1st] station. The Lady Victoria Pit was located just over the Waverley Route on its east side. Also known as Butlerfield. The Industrial Railway Society lists the location as ...More details
Lady Victoria Pit was served by a large yard and sidings warranting their own signal box. A major expansion of the Newbattle Colliery led to a new connection and exchange sidings being laid out on the east side of the Waverley Route. The whole scheme was built on a grand scale and included the new village of Newtongrange, to the north. The pit was named for Lady Victoria Alexandrina, wife ...More details
This concrete viaduct crosses the A7 on an oblique not far west of Gorebridge station.
This is a single platform station on the Borders Railway. The original two storey station building remains standing. The platform occupies roughly the location of the original northbound platform. A similar building remains at Fountainhall.
This was a two platform station.
This was a two platform station located in a deep cutting. The street level building remains here, in use as a house.
A weigh station was opened at Falahill with the line. Banking to Falahill Summit was common. The location had up and down loops and sidings. There was a water tank and signal box, dating from 1894, on the east side.
This was a two platform station with staggered platforms, one on either side of a level crossing.
This was a two platform station with a bay platform for the Lauder Light Railway. The main station building was on the northbound platform with a water tank at the south end of the same platform.
This is a two platform station re-opened on the site of the original. The station building remains standing here, waiting for a new use.
This is a double track tunnel carrying a double track line. To the immediate north is Bowshank North Bridge and to the south Bowshank South Bridge. The tunnel opened with the railway in 1848. It fell out of use when the Waverley Route closed in 1969. While out of use it was used for storage of farming equipment by local farmers. The railway re-opened in 2015. ...More details
Bowland was a two platform station. This was briefly the southern terminus of the line before it was extended south.
This was the junction between the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) and the Peebles loop (Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway)).
The new Galashiels station has a single platform on a single track line.
This was a three platform through station, originally covered with a large timber overall roof which was later replaced with platform canopies. Carriage sidings were on the east side.
The goods yard was south of Galashiels [1st] station and on the west side of the line. Approach was from the south east.
This shed was established in 1903, supplementing a turntable which was located at the north end of Galashiels [1st] station, west side.
This was built as a double track five arch viaduct. At present it carries one track and a footpath, the Southern Upland Way . The railway track is on the north side, path on the south.
This is the set of points at the west end of Tweedbank station where the track divides to serve the island platform.
This is a terminus with two platforms on either side of an island and a large carpark. It is just north of A6091. The station is in the eastern extremity of Galashiels, being separated from the town by the River Tweed, and is just over a mile west of Melrose.
These sidings were approached by reversal from the southbound line.
This was a two platform station. It had a large wooden roof over both platforms. The southbound (up) platform and building still stand. The trackbed is now occupied by the A6091.
This was the junction between the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) of 1849 and the Berwickshire Railway of 1865.
This station was located in Newtown St Boswells, thus its original name, but was renamed for the larger nearby town.
This junction was south of St Boswells station, where there was a bay platform for branch trains, and was formed between the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)] (1849) and the Kelso Branch (North British Railway) (1850).
This was a two timber platform halt built in connection with the nearby Charlesfield Munitions Factory. Platforms were to the south of the tall bridge over the roadway. Oddly the southbound platform was longer than the northbound.
This siding was south of Greenend Farm. The siding was on the east side of the line and reached by reversing. There was a signal box.
This was a two platform station.
Standhill Siding was a pair of sidings just south of Standhill Farm. The sidings were approached by reversal from the southbound line and were on the east side of the line.
This station probably opened in 1850, the year after the line opened.
Hawick Shed opened with the line from Edinburgh. It remained on the same site until closure. It was to the immediate north of Hawick [1st] station, the original terminus, which was to become the site of the goods shed when the line was extended south through Hawick [2nd] in 1862. Further goods facilities opened to the north of the shed, resulting it its being in the middle of a goods ...More details
When built, this terminus was opened next to the north bridge over the River Teviot, a little way from the town centre.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Galashiels 1897: Selkirkshire Sheet 08.02 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Selkirkshire)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
Hawick to Galashiels: The Waverley Route Including the Selkirk Branch (Scottish Main Lines)
Last Years of the Waverley Route
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
On the Waverley Route
Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail
The Waverley Route Through Time
The Waverley Route: Its Heritage and Revival
The Waverley Route: The Postwar Years
Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway
Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route