Newbattle Viaduct

Location type

Bridge


Names and dates

Newbattle Viaduct (1847-1972)
Newbattle Viaduct (2015-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This is a double track twenty three arch viaduct over the River South Esk. The height over the South Esk is 80ft and the viaduct is around 1093 ft long. The southernmost arch is skew and crosses the A7. A minor road crossed under the second arch from the north end and the River South Esk passes under the third and forth arches. Alternative names include Lothianbridge, Dalhouse and South Esk Viaduct.

This was a new bridge built with the opening of the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway). To the east was the Newbattle Viaduct [1st] on the Arniston Branch, which it effectively replaced although that branch served various coal mines further east. West Bryans Siding on the new line gave access to the private coal railway.

The viaduct remained unused after closure of the Waverley Route and Lady Victoria Pit for forty three years and required repairs before being brought back into use.

It now carries a single track.

In 1909 two temporary signal boxes opened - Dalhousie North and Dalhousie South - presumably during single line operations for viaduct repairs.


Tags

Viaduct River South Esk

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map

Facilities

Listing: B




Nearby stations
Dalhousie
South Esk
Newtongrange [1st]
Newtongrange
Eskbank
Bonnyrigg
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Broomieknowe
Glenesk
Dalkeith
Lasswade
Sheriffhall [2nd]
Sheriffhall [1st]
Polton
Gorebridge

Other railway and industry locations
Newbattle Viaduct
Newbattle Viaduct [1st]
West Bryans Siding
Tip
Newbattle Signal Box
Newbattle Brick and Tile Works
Newbattle Gas Works
Hardengreen Viaduct
Dean Oil Works
Newtongrange [Village]
Esk Valley Junction
Newbattle Coal Stocking Site
Lady Victoria Pit
Eskbank Carpet Factory
Hardengreen Yard
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.


The Sun Inn


The first meeting of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway Company was held at the The Sun Inn . This is to the east of the Newbattle Viaduct at its north end, across the A7 from the viaduct.

The Newbattle Viaduct [1st] ran to the east of the inn, ie the opposite site to the present viaduct.