Newbattle Viaduct [1st]

Location type

Bridge


Name and dates

Newbattle Viaduct [1st] (1830-1847)

Opened on the Marquis of Lothian^s Waggonway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This 1001 ft long viaduct crossed the River Esk carrying the privately owned Arniston Branch. The viaduct had stone piers and cast iron arches with the deck in timber.

It was replaced with the opening of the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway as an alternative approach was provided to the collieries. The Newbattle Viaduct is to the west of this former viaduct.

At the south east end of the viaduct the approach was retained as a siding giving access to Bryans Pit amongst others. This was West Bryans Siding. In 1869 it was the site of an accident when an express from Carlisle, during one line operation, entered the siding from what would normally be the southbound line and derailed.

Local

The Sun Inn is to the west of the former viaduct at its north end. To the west, across the A7, from the inn is the Newbattle Viaduct.

07/01/2019

Tags

Viaduct

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map