West Bryans Siding

Location type


Name and dates

West Bryans Siding (1847-1894)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


This siding was at the south east end of the Newbattle Viaduct. It connected the new Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) to the former Marquis of Lothian's Waggonway at the south east end of the original Newbattle Viaduct [1st]. The bridge was removed but its approach was now used as a reversal to access the line east to Bryans Pit and other mines.

An accident occurred here in 1869 during single line operation when an express from Carlisle entered the siding from the southbound line and derailed..

Access to the siding was controlled by Newbattle Signal Box.

The connection as taken out when the Lady Victoria Pit Signal Box and sidings were laid in and became the main connection with the public railway. The washery was based there and handled coal from existing mines.

Although the connection was taken out the private line remained open and the site was used as a tip on the east bank of the River Esk. It also gave access to the Newbattle Brick Works.