Newbattle Signal Box

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Newbattle Signal Box

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This signal box was at the south end of the Newbattle Viaduct it controlled entry to West Bryans Siding and the mineral lines to Bryans Pit etc. (See the West Bryans Siding entry.)

The signal box was on the east side of the line. Trains leaving the mineral lines could run directly south from the reversing sidings just north of the box. Trains heading north would use a second set of reversing sidings to the south of the box and from these would cross the southbound line to the northbound line.

The box closed in 1895 when the new connection to the collieries was put in ad the Lady Victoria Pit Signal Box.

Interestingly the mineral line just east of West Bryans Siding had its own signal box at the level crossing over Main Street.


Tags

Signal box junction siding