A viaduct so well built that it survived 40 years of disuse before being pressed back into service on the new Borders Railway line has had a plaque unveiled as the railway celebrates its third anniversary. The event forms part of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) bicentenary celebrations, in which The Borders Railway is named in their top 200 People and Projects which have transformed peoples lives. The masonry 23-arch Newbattle Viaduct across the River Esk near Dalkeith opened in 1849 to carry what became the Waverley Line but remained closed after the last freight train in 1972. It was found to be in such good condition that it served as a haul road for lorries removing spoil during construction of the Hardengreen Viaduct across the Dalkeith Western Bypass before regaining the rails that now carry a half-hourly ScotRail train between Edinburgh and Tweedbank.
The viaduct on the Borders Railway line has had a plaque unveiled as the railway celebrates its third anniversary.
ICE supports civil engineers and technicians by awarding professional qualifications, ensuring they work to high standards, and helping them to develop their careers.