Belses

Location type

Station


Names and dates

New Belses (1849-1862)
Belses (1862-1969)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This was a two platform station.

The main station building is of two floors and did not directly adjoin the platform. There were two timber waiting rooms, with parcels section, one on either platform.

There was a goods yard at the south end, on the east side, accessed from the southbound line, with a large loading bank. Early maps show two sheds in this goods yard, one alongside the loading bank and another at the end of the siding. These have disappeared in later maps.

The signal box, at the south end on the west side of the line, and goods closed in 1966.

All the buildings, from the time of closure, and the loading bank still exist. The space between the platforms has been infilled. The main station building is now a private house and the station its garden. Station staff cottages also exist nearby, also in use as a private house.

The bridge over the B6400, to the north of the station, has been removed as has the bridge over an unclassified road to the south.

Although the population at Belses was low, the station served Ancrum to the east and Lilliesheaf to the west.

This is probably the most intact former station of the Waverley Route.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map