Borthwick Bank Signal Box (1892-1968)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).
This signal box broke the section between Fushiebridge station and Tynehead station. The box was located on the Borthwick Bank.
This was the site of an ash (and other matetrials) dump from St Margarets Shed, there being sidings on the north side of the line accessed from the Edinburgh direction allowing dumping of material into Maggie Bowie's Glen.
The signal box closed in 1968. After line closure this was the site of a track recovery depot, new sidings being laid for that purpose.
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Other railway and industry locations
Borthwick Bank Signal Box
St Margarets Loco Ash dump
Middleton Lime Works
Middleton Limestone Quarry
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Galashiels 1897: Selkirkshire Sheet 08.02 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Selkirkshire)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
Hawick to Galashiels: The Waverley Route Including the Selkirk Branch (Scottish Main Lines)
Last Years of the Waverley Route
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
On the Waverley Route
Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail
The Waverley Route Through Time
The Waverley Route: Its Heritage and Revival
The Waverley Route: The Postwar Years
Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway
Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route