Edinburgh and Northern Railway

Introduction

This line is largely open. The line is also known by its later name the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.

Due to the number of art galleries, art studios and museums the line is also known as the Artline (The Artline ).

Architecture

- Station buildings -



The unique terminus building


Burntisland
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Two storey classical frontage with columned portico. Trainshed at rear demolished, although marks from the former roof remain on rear of building. Current station accessed via wooden passage from original entry.

Bigger station buildings


Markinch
Architect David Bell. Built 1847. Grey ashlar two storey house above platforms on retaining wall. The building is elevated as the station is located in a cutting.


Ladybank
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Grey ashlar two and three storey house with adjoining long single storey ticket office.


Cupar
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Two storey house with fine entrance with elliptical arches. Long range of buildings.

Smaller main station buildings


Kinghorn
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Two storey ashlar station house with Tudor styled street frontage. Boxed in portico on platform side.


Springside.
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Two storey ashlar station house with Tudor style in 'L' plan layout.

And on the Dunfermline branch

Dunfermline Upper
Similarities.

Other buildings


Kinghorn second building (cantilevered out). Removed?


Ladybank second building, late North British Railway style.


Cupar second building


Newburgh building


Burntisland
Ferry terminal building.


Ladybank Workshops, four track carriage shed. David Bell 1847. Latterly signal and telegraph works.


Ladybank (Laird's waiting room?)

Leuchars [2nd] is a newer NBR? or even LNER after burning by suffragettes? building.
Cupar Granary
Burntisland round house shed.

Viaducts


Markinch Viaduct
Thomas Grainger and John Miller 1847, 8 50ft arches, a 24ft arch at each end.

Kinghorn Viaduct
Thomas Grainger and John Miller 1847, 2 46ft segmental arches.

Kirkcaldy Linktown Viaduct
Thomas Grainger and John Miller 1847, 7 51ft segmental arches and one 13ft blind.

Tunnels

Kinghorn

Service

Part of the through route Edinburgh to Aberdeen. Formerly ferries at Burntisland and Tayport.



Dates

31/07/1845Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Act receives Royal assent. Mainline from Burntisland to Perth via Ladybank. Branches from Ladybank to Cupar and Kirkcaldy to the harbour. The Perth station was to be by the Dundee and Perth Railway station.
27/07/1847[Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway]
[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
17/09/1847Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Opened from Burntisland to Lindores and Cupar. Stations at Burntisland [1st], Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy, Sinclairtown, Dysart, Thornton, Markinch, Falkland Road, Kingskettle, Ladybank, Collessie, Lindores [1st], Springfield and Cupar.
09/12/1847Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Extended from Lindores [1st] to Glenburnie. Glenburnie opened and Lindores [1st] closed. (Lindores [1st] may also have been known as Abdie?)
18/05/1848[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Extended from Glenburnie to Abernethy Road. Stations at Newburgh [1st] and Abernethy Road opened. Glenburnie closed.
25/07/1848[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Opened from Abernethy Road to Hilton Junction. Stations at Abernethy and Bridge of Earn [1st] opened, Abernethy Road closed. (Alternative date for Bridge of Earn - 18th.)
  /04/1849Edinburgh and Northern Railway[Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway]
The Edinburgh and Northern Railway becomes the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
13/12/1849Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Dunfermline Branch opened from Thornton Junction to Dunfermline. Stations opened at Halbeath.
  /  /1850Fordell RailwayDunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Link from Fordell Railway to Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway) opened.
17/05/1850[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Opened from Cupar to Ferry-Port-on-Craig for passengers. Stations opened at Dairsie, Leuchars [1st], Ferry-Port-on-Craig opened.
  /  /1851[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Ferry-Port-on-Craig renamed Tay Port.
01/07/1852[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Leuchars [1st] renamed Leuchars Junction on the opening of the St Andrews Railway.
  /  /1861Kinross-shire RailwayEdinburgh and Northern Railway
Kinross-shire Railway absorbed by Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
  /  /1861Fife and Kinross RailwayEdinburgh and Northern Railway
Fife and Kinross Railway absorbed by the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
01/06/1878[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Leuchars Junction [1st] closed on opening of the Tay Bridge and Associated Railways replaced by Leuchars Junction [2nd] to the south at the junction between the lines.
01/12/1878[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Leuchars Junction [1st] reopens as Leuchars Old.
12/05/1879[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Tay Port altered to become a through station on the Newport Railway, afterwards known as Tayport.
01/02/1890Edinburgh and Northern Railway
New further west Bridge of Earn [2nd] station opened to serve both the Perth to Ladybank and Perth to Cowdenbeath lines. Bridge of Earn [1st] closes.
13/08/1906[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Newburgh [2nd] opens west of Newburgh [1st] which closes.
30/06/1913[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Leuchars Junction burned down by suffragettes.
14/04/1914[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Collision at Burntisland between London to Aberdeen express and Carlisle to Dundee goods
01/01/1917Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway])
Sinclairtown, Halbeath, Kingskettle closed.
01/05/1919Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Sinclairtown, Halbeath, Kingskettle re-opened.
03/10/1921[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Leuchars Old station closed.
01/07/1923[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Thornton renamed Thornton Junction.
22/09/1930Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Halbeath station closed.
  /07/1933[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Bridge of Earn Junction to Newburgh [1st] singled and Glenburnie Junction to Ladybank singled. Newburgh [2nd] to Glenburnie Junction becomes a long loop.
20/09/1954[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Dairsie closed.
19/09/1955[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Bridge of Earn Junction to Ladybank closed to passengers. Stations at Abernethy, Newburgh [2nd] and Collessie closed.
09/01/1956[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Tayport (excluded) to Leuchars Junction [2nd] (excluded) closed to passengers. Leuchars Old (excluded) to Morton Siding (excluded) closed to all traffic.
15/09/1958[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Falkland Road station closed
13/05/1960[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Newburgh [2nd] to Glenburnie Junction singled
11/01/1966[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Bridge of Earn Junction to Ladybank closed by rockfall at Clatchard Craig Quarry.
22/05/1966[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Tayport, now a terminus from Wormit, closed.
23/05/1966[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Tayport to Spinning Mill Siding closed to goods.
16/01/1967[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Line re-opened between Bridge or Earn Junction and Ladybank after clearing rockfall at Clatchard Craig Quarry and re-instating line.
04/09/1967[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Kingskettle station closed.
06/10/1969[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Sinclairtown, Dysart, Thornton Junction stations closed.
  /04/1970[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Closure of Thornton (62A) shed
  /04/1970[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Closure of Dunfermline (62C) shed, Townhill wagon repair shops stabling point becomes 62C and gains allocation of locomotives
16/02/1972[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Tokenless block introduced between Ladybank and Hilton Junction. Bridge of Earn Junction signal-box closed.
  /05/1972[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Newburgh [2nd] loop extended and each track signaled for bi-directional working.
08/01/1973[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Withdrawal of direct daily Kirkcaldy to Glasgow Queen Street working.
21/04/1973[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Trackwork at Ladybank Works removed, but building not demolished.
06/10/1975[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Bridge of Earn Junction to Ladybank re-opened for passengers (after closure of the [Glenfarg Line]).
06/10/1975Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Some Perth to Edinburgh Waverley workings diverted from via Stirling to via Newburgh [2nd].
06/10/1979[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Newburgh [2nd] sidings removed pending removal of loop.
  /  /1981[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Signaling from Dalmeny to Cupar, Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath transferred to the new Edinburgh Signaling Centre.
  /  /1992[Dunfermline Branch] ([Edinburgh and Northern Railway])
Glenrothes with Thornton opened.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Burntisland to Tayport

The Burntisland Ferry Booking Office in 1973, demolished a few years later to make way for a short-lived hovercraft operation. The lettering on the ...
Bill Roberton //1973

This was the southern terminus of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway. A Thomas Bouch designed train ferry operated from here to Granton. It was replaced by the present Burntisland station, a through station on the approach to the Forth Bridge, just to the north.
...

More details
The classical original terminus building, looking well, now used for small businesses and artists' workshops. The building was in use as railway ...
Alan Cormack 20/04/2017
One of the the southern, harbourside, of the two pedimented porches of the original Burntisland station building of 1847. ...
Alan Cormack 20/04/2017
Burntisland (Old) Station in 1984. In the left background is the derelict former Burntisland Control, later demolished.
...
Bill Roberton //1984
The old Burntisland station, viewed with the quayside lines in the foreground. ...
John Yellowlees 26/10/2017

66 101 stands at the head of a ballast train at Burntisland East Junction during Sunday engineering works on 14 June 2009 ...
David Panton 14/06/2009
J37 0-6-0 no 64606 near Burntisland East Junction in 1965. ...
Jim Peebles //1965
Ballast being spread on the Up line at the former junction with the Dock branch besides Burntisland links. GBRf 66708 is at the front of the train. ...
Bill Roberton 13/01/2019
Edinburgh bound 170 470 passes the disused Burntisland East Junction on 18 April 2009. The junction once provided access to Burntisland docks and ...
David Panton 18/04/2009

A1 Tornado passes Pettycur Bay on the approach to Kinghorn Tunnel with 'The Aberdonian' on 14 March. ...
Bill Roberton 14/03/2019

This is a two platform station. The main station building is on the northbound platform.
...

More details
DBC 67015 enters Kinghorn with the UK Railtours excursion from Edinburgh - Edinburgh via the SAK and Fife Circle. ...
Bill Roberton 18/08/2018
GBRf 66743 passes Kinghorn with the Dundee - Edinburgh leg of the first 'Royal Scotsman' trip of the season, on 15 April. ...
Bill Roberton 15/04/2019
A HST training run from Haymarket to Dundee passes through Kinghorn on 26 November 2018 with 43179 on the rear and re-liveried 43033 leading.
...
Bill Roberton 26/11/2018
The Darlington - Dundee Northern Belle between Kinghorn tunnel and station on 15 June behind 47501. No 47832 was on the rear of the train. ...
Bill Roberton 15/06/2013

This signal box opened with the junction for the new Seafield Colliery in 1963. The box was on the east side of the line. The colliery was also on the east side of the line and approached from the south.
...

More details

This was the junction between the 1847 Edinburgh and Northern Railway and the Kirkcaldy District Railway (North British Railway) opened in 1896. Both lines were double track although the newer line became single track as it struck off west of the junction. Approach was from the south.
...

More details


This is a two platform station equipped with large carparks. The main station building is on the southbound platform. The station is on the west side of the town.
...

More details
The morning CrossCountry Aberdeen to Penzance service calls at Kirkcaldy on 24 October 2018 after a necessarily lengthy announcement (think what it is ...
David Panton 24/10/2018
A sign commemorating Sir Sandford Fleming at Kirkcaldy. ...
John Yellowlees 06/10/2017
Black 5 45407 makes a spirited departure from Kirkcaldy with the returning Fife & Borders excursion on 13 August 2017. [Shades of Where are ...
Bill Roberton 13/08/2017
170 456 with a Fife Circle line service at Kirkcaldy on 31 July 2008. ...
David Panton 31/07/2008

This junction was located at Rosebery Terrace with the main line of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway and the Kirkcaldy Harbour branch running parallel as far as Dunniker Road, the harbour line serving several works and making a second connection, before curving off to the south east down a steeply graded branch to the harbour.
...

More details



This was a three platform station to the west of St Clair Street. There were two main line platforms and a bay for trains to the west, on the south side.
...

More details
These locos at Sinclairtown can clearly be seen from the train, until the trees come into leaf. I believe they belong to a scrap merchant. Why is ...
John Yellowlees 23/04/2016
The redevelopment of urban brownfield sites continues to erase reminders of the railway presence from many areas of our towns and cities. One ...
John Furnevel 22/08/2008
Looking south from Smeaton Road, Kirkcaldy in November 1993. The end of a siding off the main line at Sinclairtown, just to the south, it formerly ...
Bill Roberton /11/1993
The former goods shed at Sinclairtown on 31 March 2008, with rails still in place. ...
Bill Roberton 31/03/2008

This station replaced Sinclairtown [1st] station, just to the west, in 1909.
...

More details
The second of the SRPS 'Forth Circle' railtours of 28 April, hauled by 46115 Scots Guardsman climbs away from Sinclairtown. ...
Bill Roberton 28/04/2012
47804 climbs away from Sinclairtown on 21 May with the northbound Royal Scotsman. ...
Bill Roberton 21/05/2008
A northbound express rushes through the site of Sinclairtown station on 11 April 2009 ...
David Panton 11/04/2009
Old station site at Sinclairtown looking south in April 2009. Note the girders that once supported the booking office. ...
David Panton 11/04/2009

This station was to the north of Windmill Road. It was a two platform station.
...

More details
44871 climbs away from Dysart with the SRPS excursion to Fife and the Borders on 20th August 2017.
...
Bill Roberton 20/08/2017
37685 on the rear of the SRPS Borders Railway excursion, returning from Tweedbank on 20th August 2017. The train has just passed Dysart. ...
Bill Roberton 20/08/2017
The Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh leg of the Great Britain VII nearing Dysart on Saturday 3 May behind A4 60009 Union of South ...
Bill Roberton 03/05/2014
Failure of the booked 60056 in Aberdeen meant Colas had to dispatch 70802 from Grangemouth to bring the cement empties south. With a friendly wave ...
Bill Roberton 29/05/2017

This was the junction for the Dysart Colliery Randolph Pit. The pit was sunk in the 1850s. The mineral line ran south east from a loop on the east side of the railway. A signal box was on the west side of the line.
...

More details

This junction was created in 1878 when the North British Railway opened a curve between Thornton West Junction [1st] on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway) and the main line of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
...

More details

This station was rebuilt several times due to subsidence.
...

More details
Thornton Community Council commissioned this locomotive sculpture to recall the time when Station Road led to the village's station. The real Marquess ...
John Yellowlees 01/04/2016
Totem from Thornton Junction station which closed in 1969. So riddled was this area with mine workings that it is said that it was a constant battle ...
David Panton //
Black 5s 44871+45407 pass Thornton North Junction with The Cathedrals Express for Inverness on 10 May 2014. [See image 47278] ...
Bill Roberton 10/05/2014
Interesting display at Thornton on 23 August 2008, a tribute to, among other things, its railway heritage. ...
David Panton 23/08/2008

This is a four way junction. To the north the main line runs north to Ladybank and the mothballed branch to Cameron Bridge, (and formerly Leven [2nd] and the Fife Coast railway to St Andrews [2nd]), runs off to the north east. To the south the Dunfermline Branch heads west from the main line which runs south to Burntisland, (the Forth Bridge and [[Edinburgh ...

More details
GBRf 66733 at the head of the Royal Scotsman in Thornton Down Loop. ...
Bill Roberton 25/04/2016
66733 and 66746 with the Royal Scotsman parked in Thornton Down Loop for afternoon tea. The crumbling bridge in the foreground carried the branch to ...
Bill Roberton 25/04/2016
Looking west at Thornton North Junction at the beginning of the branch to Leven - out of use since the 1990s, but now being mooted for re-commencement ...
David Spaven 01/09/2011

This signal box was on the northern approaches to Thornton North Junction.
...

More details

A GNER Aberdeen bound HST heads north over Markinch Viaduct on 1 May 2005. The station is off picture to the left. View is east along the A911 road ...
John Furnevel 01/05/2005
Markinch to Edinburgh local train shortly after leaving Markinch passes over Markinch Viaduct. FSR class 170. ...
Brian Forbes 23/08/2008
Edinburgh - Markinch service crosses the viaduct just south of its destination in February 2007. ...
John Furnevel /02/2007
A GNER HST crossing the A911 road on Markinch Viaduct in May 2005 - photographed looking east. ...
John Furnevel 01/05/2005

This is a two platform station with a car park on the west side. The original station building sill stands, a two storey building with the top floor at road level and ground floor at platform level.
...

More details
A 4-car 158 calls at Markinch on 10 October 2018 with a Perth to Edinburgh service. The signage announcing this as the stop for Glenrothes went when ...
David Panton 10/10/2018
The rear of 158728 departs Markinch with a service to Perth. ...
Caleb Abbott 12/05/2018
View south over the new building at Markinch on 20 September. ...
John Furnevel 20/9/2007
170478 in SPT livery calls at Markinch on 26 July with the 1759 to Edinburgh.
...
Brian Forbes 26/07/2009


Lochmuir Summit was to the west of Lochmuir Wood. A signal box opened here in 1901 with a siding on the west side, approached from the south. The signal box was at the south end of the siding.
...

More details
60009 Union of South Africa with the Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh leg of the Great Britain VII tour on 3 May, climbing towards ...
Bill Roberton 03/05/2014
47541 breasts Lochmuir Summit with a service for Aberdeen on 18th August 1990. For a 1979 comparison [see image 57841]. ...
Graeme Blair 18/08/1990
Located between Markinch and Ladybank, Lochmuir had a Down loop and signal box until July 1980. 40030 eases a Northbound working out of the loop on ...
Graeme Blair 06/02/1979

This was a two platform station. The main building building, on the northbound platform, survived into the 1980s.
...

More details
Late evening returning golf special heads for Edinburgh on 18 July near Falkland Road. ...
Brian Forbes 18/07/2007
One of the class 67 hauled Open Golf Championship specials put on by First ScotRail operating between Edinburgh and Carnoustie near Falkland ...
Brian Forbes 18/07/2007
Falkland Road looking north. There was a station building on the left until the 1980s. ...
Ewan Crawford //
DBS 66065 stands at Forthar, between the former stations at Falkland Road (in the background) and Kingskettle on 5 December 2013. The locomotive is at ...
Bill Roberton 05/12/2013

This was a two platform station with the northern part of the platforms partly over Station Road.
...

More details
1727 Edinburgh to Inverness passing Freuchie Mill Road near Kingskettle. ...
Brian Forbes /07/2007
A class 170 rounds the long bend through Kingskettle, heading for Ladybank. ...
Brian Forbes 14/05/2007
A 5-car 158+170 combination heading north past Kingskettle on Sunday afternoon 3 April 2011. ...
Brian Forbes 03/04/2011
60009 coasts downhill with The North Briton near Kingskettle, Fife, on 13 April 2008. ...
Brian Forbes 13/04/2008

Removal of vegetation in (non-railway) groundworks immediately to the southwest of Ladybank station has revealed this struture in all its modest ...
David Panton 03/10/2018

This is a two platform station with the main original station building on the northbound platform, architect probably David Bell. The building is a complicated structure with different numbers of stories. On the southbound platform is a North British Railway waiting room building. The platforms are linked by subway.
...

More details
With the crossover being south of the station Up trains off the Perth line have to use the Down platform. A four-car 158 from Perth to Edinburgh calls ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
A Dundee to Edinburgh service calls at Ladybank on 3 October 2018. A train from the Perth line would of necessity be using the other platform. ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
An Arbroath to Edinburgh approaches Ladybank station on 30 January 2019. Since the Edinburgh to Dundee services were extended to Arbroath in December ...
David Panton 30/01/2019
I don't suppose too many golf clubs have a level crossing between the car park and the course. The line is the single track route between Ladybank ...
David Panton 30/01/2019

This is a two platform station. The building design is the smaller style of station on the former Edinburgh and Northern Railway by David Bell. The building is on the southbound platform.
...

More details
Opened by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway in 1847, Springfield serves a village with a population of less than 1,000. Located between Cupar and ...
John Furnevel 22/05/2005
A southbound HST speeds through Springfield, Fife. ...
Bill Roberton //1996
A lampholder on the footbridge at Springfield. ...
John Yellowlees 15/01/2017
Springfield station looking south west with a National Express East Coast HST speeding through. ...
Brian Forbes /10/2008

This is a two platform station dating from 1847. The architect of the main station building on the northbound platform is thought to be David Bell. The building on the southbound platform is built to a later standard North British Railway style.
...

More details
A poster for the latest exhibition in the museum at Cupar station: Work and War Horses 1914 - 1918. ...
John Yellowlees 19/04/2018
View across the running lines at Cupar station on 11 August 2010 showing construction work in progress to facilitate disabled access to the southbound ...
Andrew Wilson 11/08/2010
Station Buildings, on the northbound platform. 2006 ...
Brian Forbes /09/2006
The goods shed at Cupar in 1992. Those were coal drops to the left. Thankfully all tastefully restored today. ...
Bill Roberton //1992

This signal box controlled access to the considerable sugar beet factory east of Cupar (and west of Dairsie).
...

More details

This two platform station was some way to the south of Dairsie (also known as Osnaburgh) with the platforms partly crossing over the minor road between Dairsie and Kemback. A loading bank, served by a goods loop, was to the north of the station on the west side. The signal box was at the north end of the southbound platform.
...

More details
66743, on a Royal Scotsman ECS working from Dundee to Edinburgh, has just passed the site of Dairsie station on 24th August 2018. The station ...
Mark Bartlett 24/08/2018
A 1997 view towards Leuchars from the former loading bank at Dairsie. [Ref query 810] The passenger station was behind the camera. ...
Ewan Crawford //1997

This junction was just south of Leuchars and faced that station. Originally the junction station was Leuchars [1st], somewhat further north. ...

More details

This is an island platform station which today is the closest to St Andrews. There is a car park on the east side of the station.
...

More details
Under construction at Leuchars - a new Caledonian Sleeper lounge. ...
John Yellowlees 24/03/2018
Rear view of Leuchars signal box in May 2005. For the front view at the time [see image 52520]. ...
John Furnevel 19/05/2005
A Dundee to Edinburgh service calls at Leuchars on 10 October 2018. Occupying the site of the south bay buffers is a new lounge for Caledonian Sleeper ...
David Panton 10/10/2018
The new Caledonian Sleeper Guest Lounge at Leuchars. ...
John Yellowlees 25/08/2018

This was a four platform station. A bay existed on either side for the [St Andrews Railway] branch. To the south of the station was a small yard on the west side of the line. The main station building was on the southbound platform.
...

More details

This siding was located between Leuchars (Old) and Tayport. The siding was located on the double track line between those two stations. Access to the siding was by reversal from the southbound line.
...

More details
View East past Rhynd Wood toward Leuchars. ...
Brian Forbes 25/03/2007
View West to Tayport from the Rhynd Farm Crossing. Line closed 1955. ...
Brian Forbes 25/03/2007


Terminus


...

More details
View from the Bell Rock Hotel, across the level crossing and Tayport station site on 8th August 2018. Broughty Ferry is in the distance.
...
Gary Straiton 08/08/2018
In 1996 one solitary building from the railway remained, the brick building off to the right. This has since been demolished. The brick wall, which ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
View south on what was the southbound platform at Tayport station. The Newport platform was off to the right. To the left is the harbour from which ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
The housing covers a large goods yard. Centre of pier was where tramp steamers tied up. There was a wagon tip-up which when the door was opened ...
Brian Forbes /03/2007




Ladybank to Perth

This is a two platform station with the main original station building on the northbound platform, architect probably David Bell. The building is a complicated structure with different numbers of stories. On the southbound platform is a North British Railway waiting room building. The platforms are linked by subway.
...

More details
With the crossover being south of the station Up trains off the Perth line have to use the Down platform. A four-car 158 from Perth to Edinburgh calls ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
A Dundee to Edinburgh service calls at Ladybank on 3 October 2018. A train from the Perth line would of necessity be using the other platform. ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
An Arbroath to Edinburgh approaches Ladybank station on 30 January 2019. Since the Edinburgh to Dundee services were extended to Arbroath in December ...
David Panton 30/01/2019
I don't suppose too many golf clubs have a level crossing between the car park and the course. The line is the single track route between Ladybank ...
David Panton 30/01/2019

This was a two platform station with a bay (the goods siding) on the northbound platform at the north end. Opposite this was a signal box. The north end was built over a road bridge. The box was to close in 1934 when the line was singled.
...

More details
37409 + 37405 climb past Collessie with an SRPS Linlithgow - Kyle of Lochalsh tour on 19th September 1998. ...
Graeme Blair 19/09/1998
The 1526 ex-Ladybank heads for Perth past fields near the Fife village of Collessie in the summer of 2010. ...
Brian Forbes /06/2010
The Western Chieftain railtour passes Collessie on 21 June. ...
Brian Forbes 21/06/2009
Fife Animal Park and Bistro, Collessie. The peak is East Lomond. A turbostar heads for Ladybank. ...
Brian Forbes 26/04/2007

This was a temporary terminus of the line from Ladybank before it was extended west ultimately to Hilton Junction.
...

More details
47817 approaches Abdie with a diverted overnight London - Inverness service. Originally constructed with double track throughout most of the Ladybank ...
Graeme Blair 29/07/1990

The Edinburgh and Northern Railway, a double track line, was met by the single track Newburgh and North Fife Railway. The St Fort line doubled before joining and had a looped refuge siding.
...

More details
Photographed from the former loading bank on 13.9.86, 37260 is seen heading a Perth - Edinburgh ecs working. ...
Graeme Blair 13/09/1986
Standing roughly at the same spot as Bill Roberton [see image 57550] but looking in the opposite direction, 37175 passes Glenburnie on 2.9.94 with an ...
Graeme Blair 02/09/1994
The 6inch OS map of 1854 shows a siding and building at Glenburnie on the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee railway between Newburgh and Lindores. Neither ...
Bill Roberton //1988
107738 passing the site of Glenburnie Junction on 24th July 1990. My late uncle was a signalman here and worked the final shift in April 1960. The ...
Graeme Blair 24/07/1990

This was a short lived terminus before the line from Ladybank was extended west to Abernethy Road.
...

More details
A diverted southbound HST heading towards the former Glenburnie Junction. ...
Bill Roberton //1988




Kirkcaldy Harbour Branch

This junction was located at Rosebery Terrace with the main line of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway and the Kirkcaldy Harbour branch running parallel as far as Dunniker Road, the harbour line serving several works and making a second connection, before curving off to the south east down a steeply graded branch to the harbour.
...

More details





The former Kirkcaldy Corporation Tramways power station in Victoria Road. Operating from 1902 the tramway closed in 1931 but the power plant continued ...
Bill Roberton 25/08/2018



Road entrance to Kirkcaldy harbour on a quiet Sunday morning in the summer of 2007, more than 23 years after the line from Harbour Branch Junction had ...
John Furnevel 22/07/2007
Looking down the Kirkcaldy Harbour branch with the A921 bridge in the middle distance. This and most of the buildings shown would be removed in the ...
Bill Roberton /02/1991
The surviving bridge abutments, embankment and arches are all part of the branch that once served Kirkcaldy Harbour (off picture to the left). View ...
John Furnevel 22/07/2007
Traces of the former railway can still be found within what remains of the harbour although much of the area has now given way to new developments ...
John Furnevel 22/07/2007