Thornton Shed [2nd]

Location type

Loco shed

Name and dates

Thornton Shed [2nd] (1933-1969)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway).

Description

Thornton Junction Shed relocated from within the triangular junction to west of Thornton West Junction. The new shed was a larger site, located to the south of the line and approached from the east.

British Railways assigned the code 62A and had sub sheds at Anstruther Shed, Burntisland Shed, Ladybank Shed and Methil Shed.

The shed closed in 1969.

This shed replaced Thornton Shed [1st] and was replaced by the diesel shed at Thornton Junction TMD.

Access to the shed site was controlled by Thornton Weighs box (the second of this name). This opened in 1906 and closed the year after the shed in 1970. It was located on the south side of the railway within the yard to the east of the shed building.

The shed site is now a field.

Tags

Shed

Aliases

Thornton Shed