Thornton West Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Thornton West Junction (1980-)

Station code: TWJ National Rail
Opened on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway).

Description

This is the junction between the single track lines from Thornton North Junction and Thornton South Junction. It is west of Glenrothes with Thornton station and replaced Thornton West Junction [1st].

This was the location of the first Thornton West signal box opened in 1878. The box was on the south side of the line. It was renamed 'Thornton Weighs' around 1884 which was around when the connection from Thornton West Junction to the south end of Thornton Junction station opened. A weigh bridge was located here. The box was replaced in 1906 with a new box further west. (This was later used for Thornton Shed [2nd].) To the immediate east were the Thornton Wagon Works on the south side of the line and accessed from the west.

Tags

Junction
09/06/2019