Thornton South Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Thornton South Junction (1878-)

Station code: GSE National Rail ScotRail
Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
Opened on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway).

Description

This junction was created in 1878 when the North British Railway opened a curve between Thornton West Junction [1st] on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway) and the main line of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.

The signal box was on the east side of the junction. It opened with the junction and closed in 1980, replaced by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre. The line to the west junction is now single track and the connection made a little further west than the original junction at the new Thornton West Junction.

Tags

Junction 09/06/2019

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)

Fife's Last Days of Steam

Fife's Lost Railways

Railways of Fife

The Railways of Fife