Edinburgh and Northern Railway

Introduction

This line is largely open. The line is also known by its later name the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.

Due to the number of art galleries, art studios and museums the line is also known as the Artline (The Artline ).

Architecture

- Station buildings -



The unique terminus building


Burntisland
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Two storey classical frontage with columned portico. Trainshed at rear demolished, although marks from the former roof remain on rear of building. Current station accessed via wooden passage from original entry.

Bigger station buildings


Markinch
Architect David Bell. Built 1847. Grey ashlar two storey house above platforms on retaining wall. The building is elevated as the station is located in a cutting.


Ladybank
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Grey ashlar two and three storey house with adjoining long single storey ticket office.


Cupar
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Two storey house with fine entrance with elliptical arches. Long range of buildings.

Smaller main station buildings


Kinghorn
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Two storey ashlar station house with Tudor styled street frontage. Boxed in portico on platform side.


Springside.
Architect thought to be David Bell. Built 1847. Two storey ashlar station house with Tudor style in 'L' plan layout.

And on the Dunfermline branch

Dunfermline Upper
Similarities.

Other buildings


Kinghorn second building (cantilevered out). Removed?


Ladybank second building, late North British Railway style.


Cupar second building


Newburgh building


Burntisland
Ferry terminal building.


Ladybank Workshops, four track carriage shed. David Bell 1847. Latterly signal and telegraph works.


Ladybank (Laird's waiting room?)

Leuchars [2nd] is a newer NBR? or even LNER after burning by suffragettes? building.
Cupar Granary
Burntisland round house shed.

Viaducts


Markinch Viaduct
Thomas Grainger and John Miller 1847, 8 50ft arches, a 24ft arch at each end.

Kinghorn Viaduct
Thomas Grainger and John Miller 1847, 2 46ft segmental arches.

Kirkcaldy Linktown Viaduct
Thomas Grainger and John Miller 1847, 7 51ft segmental arches and one 13ft blind.

Tunnels

Kinghorn

Service

Part of the through route Edinburgh to Aberdeen. Formerly ferries at Burntisland and Tayport.



Dates

31/07/1845Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Act receives Royal assent. Mainline from Burntisland to Perth via Ladybank. Branches from Ladybank to Cupar and Kirkcaldy to the harbour. The Perth station was to be by the Dundee and Perth Railway station.
27/07/1847[Edinburgh Leith and Newhaven Railway]
[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
17/09/1847Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Opened from Burntisland to Lindores and Cupar. Stations at Burntisland [1st], Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy, Sinclairtown, Dysart, Thornton, Markinch, Falkland Road, Kingskettle, Ladybank, Collessie, Lindores [1st], Springfield and Cupar.
09/12/1847Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Extended from Lindores [1st] to Glenburnie. Glenburnie opened and Lindores [1st] closed. (Lindores [1st] may also have been known as Abdie?)
18/05/1848Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Extended from Glenburnie to Abernethy Road. Stations at Newburgh [1st] and Abernethy Road opened. Glenburnie closed.
25/07/1848Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Opened from Abernethy Road to Hilton Junction. Stations at Abernethy and Bridge of Earn [1st] opened, Abernethy Road closed. (Alternative date for Bridge of Earn - 18th.)
  /04/1849Edinburgh and Northern Railway[Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway]
The Edinburgh and Northern Railway becomes the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
13/12/1849Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Dunfermline Branch opened from Thornton Junction to Dunfermline. Stations opened at Halbeath.
  /  /1850Fordell RailwayDunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Link from Fordell Railway to Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway) opened.
17/05/1850Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Opened from Cupar to Ferry-Port-on-Craig for passengers. Stations opened at Dairsie, Leuchars [1st], Ferry-Port-on-Craig opened.
  /  /1851Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Ferry-Port-on-Craig renamed Tay Port.
01/07/1852Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Leuchars [1st] renamed Leuchars Junction on the opening of the St Andrews Railway.
  /  /1861Kinross-shire RailwayEdinburgh and Northern Railway
Kinross-shire Railway absorbed by Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
  /  /1861Fife and Kinross RailwayEdinburgh and Northern Railway
Fife and Kinross Railway absorbed by the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
01/06/1878Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Leuchars Junction [1st]closed on opening of the Tay Bridge and Associated Railways replaced by Leuchars Junction [2nd] to the south at the junction between the lines.
01/12/1878Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Leuchars Junction [1st] reopens as Leuchars Old.
12/05/1879Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Tay Port altered to become a through station on the Newport Railway, afterwards known as Tayport.
  /  /1880Alice pit
Sunk next to the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway) by Fordell Estate at Hill of Beath
01/02/1890Edinburgh and Northern Railway
New further west Bridge of Earn [2nd] station opened to serve both the Perth to Ladybank and Perth to Cowdenbeath lines. Bridge of Earn [1st] closes.
13/08/1906Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Newburgh [2nd] opens west of Newburgh [1st] which closes.
30/06/1913[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Leuchars Junction burned down by suffragettes.
14/04/1914[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Collision at Burntisland between London to Aberdeen express and Carlisle to Dundee goods
01/01/1917Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Sinclairtown, Halbeath, Kingskettle closed.
01/05/1919Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Sinclairtown, Halbeath, Kingskettle re-opened.
03/10/1921[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Leuchars Old station closed.
01/07/1923[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Thornton renamed Thornton Junction.
22/09/1930Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Halbeath station closed.
  /07/1933[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Bridge of Earn Junction to Newburgh [1st] singled and Glenburnie Junction to Ladybank singled. Newburgh [2nd] to Glenburnie Junction becomes a long loop.
24/09/1949Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Crossgates closed to passengers.
20/09/1954[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Dairsie closed.
19/09/1955[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Bridge of Earn Junction to Ladybank closed to passengers. Stations at Abernethy, Newburgh [2nd] and Collessie closed.
09/01/1956[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Tayport (excluded) to Leuchars Junction [2nd] (excluded) closed to passengers. Leuchars Old (excluded) to Morton Siding (excluded) closed to all traffic.
15/09/1958[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Falkland Road station closed
13/05/1960[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Newburgh [2nd] to Glenburnie Junction singled
11/01/1966[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Bridge of Earn Junction to Ladybank closed by rockfall at Clatchard Craig Quarry.
22/05/1966Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Tayport, now a terminus from Wormit, closed.
23/05/1966[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Tayport to Spinning Mill Siding closed to goods.
16/01/1967[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Line re-opened between Bridge or Earn Junction and Ladybank after clearing rockfall at Clatchard Craig Quarry and re-instating line.
04/09/1967[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Kingskettle station closed.
06/10/1969[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Sinclairtown, Dysart, Thornton Junction stations closed.
  /04/1970[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Closure of Thornton (62A) shed
  /04/1970[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Closure of Dunfermline (62C) shed, Townhill wagon repair shops stabling point becomes 62C and gains allocation of locomotives
16/02/1972[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Tokenless block introduced between Ladybank and Hilton Junction. Bridge of Earn Junction signal-box closed.
  /05/1972[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Newburgh [2nd] loop extended and each track signaled for bi-directional working.
08/01/1973[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Withdrawal of direct daily Kirkcaldy to Glasgow Queen Street working.
21/04/1973[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Trackwork at Ladybank Works removed, but building not demolished.
06/10/1975[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Bridge of Earn Junction to Ladybank re-opened for passengers (after closure of the [Glenfarg Line]).
06/10/1975Edinburgh and Northern Railway
Some Perth to Edinburgh Waverley workings diverted from via Stirling to via Newburgh [2nd].
06/10/1979[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Newburgh [2nd] sidings removed pending removal of loop.
  /  /1981[Edinburgh and Northern Railway]
Signaling from Dalmeny to Cupar, Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath transferred to the new Edinburgh Signaling Centre.
  /  /1992Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway)
Glenrothes with Thornton opened.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Burntisland to Tayport

This pier was alongside, and to the south of, Burntisland [1st] station. It no longer exists but its former site can be estimated by looking south south east from Forth Place, the square in front of Burntisland station. From this pier the steamers to Granton Pier ran south, linking the Edinburgh and Northern Railway to the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway.
...

More details

This was the southern terminus of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway. A Thomas Bouch designed train ferry operated from here to Granton. It was replaced by the present Burntisland station, a through station on the approach to the Forth Bridge, just to the north. The station building is a scheduled Ancient Monument.
...

More details
The classical original terminus building, looking well, now used for small businesses and artists' workshops. The building was in use as railway ...
Alan Cormack 20/04/2017
One of the the southern, harbourside, of the two pedimented porches of the original Burntisland station building of 1847. ...
Alan Cormack 20/04/2017
Burntisland (Old) Station in 1984. In the left background is the derelict former Burntisland Control, later demolished.
...
Bill Roberton //1984
The old Burntisland station, viewed with the quayside lines in the foreground. ...
John Yellowlees 26/10/2017

This junction was east of the 1847 Burntisland [1st] terminus and its 1890 replacement Burntisland.
...

More details
Freightliner 66593 with a train of concrete sleepers at Burntisland. A machine is tamping the trackbed in preparation for setting out the sleepers. ...
Bill Roberton 13/01/2019
67025 passes Burntisland Links on 13 August with the 17.08 Edinburgh - Fife Circle service. ...
Bill Roberton 13/08/2010
Edinburgh bound 170 470 passes the disused Burntisland Junction on 18 April 2009. The junction once provided access to Burntisland docks and ...
David Panton 18/04/2009
27205 powers past Burntisland on an Edinburgh - Perth service on 17th July 1981. ...
Graeme Blair 17/07/1981

The works of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway were at Burntisland, a little east of Burntisland [1st], beyond the Lammerlaws bridge, and south of the line. The works were approached from the west. The site was dominated by the large sixteen road roundhouse, its entry arch being the shed's water tank.
...

More details

This junction was east of Burntisland and Burntisland Junction. It opened in 1901 along with the associated Lammerlaws Yard and Burntisland East Dock.
...

More details
66 101 stands at the head of a ballast train at Burntisland East Junction during Sunday engineering works on 14 June 2009 ...
David Panton 14/06/2009
J37 0-6-0 no 64606 near Burntisland East Junction in 1965. ...
Jim Peebles //1965
Ballast being spread on the Up line at the former junction with the Dock branch besides Burntisland links. GBRf 66708 is at the front of the train. ...
Bill Roberton 13/01/2019
Pettycur Heights are background to a 170 as it slows for the Burntisland stop. ...
Brian Forbes 15/05/2007

This tunnel is south west of Kinghorn station and 265 yards long. (Or 242 yards, sources vary.)
...

More details
A1 Tornado passes Pettycur Bay on the approach to Kinghorn Tunnel with 'The Aberdonian' on 14 March. ...
Bill Roberton 14/03/2019
The Darlington - Dundee Northern Belle between Kinghorn tunnel and station on 15 June behind 47501. No 47832 was on the rear of the train. ...
Bill Roberton 15/06/2013
The second trip of the SRPS special photographed alongside Pettycur Bay on 22 August with Burntisland in the background.
...
Bill Roberton 22/08/2010
'I don't recall any mention of abseiling in the PW manual!' Stabilisation work underway on the cutting north of Kinghorn tunnel on 12 February ...
Bill Roberton 12/02/2012

This is a two platform station. The main station building is on the northbound platform. The station is in Kinghorn, just above Kinghorn Beach.
...

More details
DBC 67015 enters Kinghorn with the UK Railtours excursion from Edinburgh - Edinburgh via the SAK and Fife Circle. ...
Bill Roberton 18/08/2018
GBRf 66743 passes Kinghorn with the Dundee - Edinburgh leg of the first 'Royal Scotsman' trip of the season, on 15 April. ...
Bill Roberton 15/04/2019
The 11.02 Aberdeen - Edinburgh service passes through Kinghorn on 7 January 2019, formed by 43169 and 43183 with four coaches, all in new livery.
...
Bill Roberton 07/01/2019
A HST training run from Haymarket to Dundee passes through Kinghorn on 26 November 2018 with 43179 on the rear and re-liveried 43033 leading.
...
Bill Roberton 26/11/2018

This is a double track four arch viaduct north of Kinghorn station. The viaduct is 159 ft long overall and 42 ft high.
...

More details
Kinghorn viaduct, 4 arches, taken from the coastal path, a small car repair garage is located under one of the arches, the name of the street on the ...
Alan Cormack 23/04/2017
Great Marquess 3442 north of Kinghorn with an SRPS Fife Circle excursion on 14 September 1994. ...
Bill Roberton /09/1994
Kinghorn viaduct, 4 arches, taken from the coastal path. The station is out of shot, to the left. ...
Alan Cormack 23/04/2017


This signal box opened with the junction for the new Seafield Colliery in 1963. The box was on the east side of the line. The colliery was also on the east side of the line and approached from the south.
...

More details

This was the junction between the 1847 Edinburgh and Northern Railway and the Kirkcaldy District Railway (North British Railway) opened in 1896. Both lines were double track although the newer line became single track as it struck off west of the junction. Approach was from the south.
...

More details

This double track eight arch (one 'blind') viaduct is south of Kirkcaldy station. It is north of the former Invertiel Junction. It is 429 ft long overall and 80 ft high.
...

More details

This is a two platform station equipped with large carparks. The main station building is on the southbound platform. The station is on the west side of the town.
...

More details
The morning CrossCountry Aberdeen to Penzance service calls at Kirkcaldy on 24 October 2018 after a necessarily lengthy announcement (think what it is ...
David Panton 24/10/2018
A sign commemorating Sir Sandford Fleming at Kirkcaldy. ...
John Yellowlees 06/10/2017
170 456 with a Fife Circle line service at Kirkcaldy on 31 July 2008. ...
David Panton 31/07/2008
Black 5 45407 makes a spirited departure from Kirkcaldy with the returning Fife & Borders excursion on 13 August 2017. [Shades of Where are ...
Bill Roberton 13/08/2017

This junction was located at Rosebery Terrace with the main line of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway and the Kirkcaldy Harbour branch running parallel as far as Dunniker Road, the harbour line serving several works and making a second connection, before curving off to the south east down a steeply graded branch to the harbour.
...

More details



This was a three platform station to the west of St Clair Street. There were two main line platforms and a bay for trains to the west, on the south side.
...

More details
These locos at Sinclairtown can clearly be seen from the train, until the trees come into leaf. I believe they belong to a scrap merchant. Why is ...
John Yellowlees 23/04/2016
The redevelopment of urban brownfield sites continues to erase reminders of the railway presence from many areas of our towns and cities. One ...
John Furnevel 22/08/2008
Looking south from Smeaton Road, Kirkcaldy in November 1993. The end of a siding off the main line at Sinclairtown, just to the south, it formerly ...
Bill Roberton /11/1993
The former goods shed at Sinclairtown on 31 March 2008, with rails still in place. ...
Bill Roberton 31/03/2008

This station replaced Sinclairtown [1st] station, just to the west, in 1909.
...

More details
The second of the SRPS 'Forth Circle' railtours of 28 April, hauled by 46115 Scots Guardsman climbs away from Sinclairtown. ...
Bill Roberton 28/04/2012
47804 climbs away from Sinclairtown on 21 May with the northbound Royal Scotsman. ...
Bill Roberton 21/05/2008
A northbound express rushes through the site of Sinclairtown station on 11 April 2009 ...
David Panton 11/04/2009
Old station site at Sinclairtown looking south in April 2009. Note the girders that once supported the booking office. ...
David Panton 11/04/2009

This station was to the north of Windmill Road. It was a two platform station.
...

More details
44871 climbs away from Dysart with the SRPS excursion to Fife and the Borders on 20th August 2017.
...
Bill Roberton 20/08/2017
37685 on the rear of the SRPS Borders Railway excursion, returning from Tweedbank on 20th August 2017. The train has just passed Dysart. ...
Bill Roberton 20/08/2017
The Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh leg of the Great Britain VII nearing Dysart on Saturday 3 May behind A4 60009 Union of South ...
Bill Roberton 03/05/2014
Failure of the booked 60056 in Aberdeen meant Colas had to dispatch 70802 from Grangemouth to bring the cement empties south. With a friendly wave ...
Bill Roberton 29/05/2017

This was the junction for the Dysart Colliery Randolph Pit. The pit was sunk in the 1850s. The mineral line ran south east from a loop on the east side of the railway. A signal box was on the west side of the line.
...

More details

This junction was created in 1878 when the North British Railway opened a curve between Thornton West Junction [1st] on the Dunfermline Branch (Edinburgh and Northern Railway) and the main line of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
...

More details

This station was rebuilt several times due to subsidence.
...

More details
Thornton Community Council commissioned this locomotive sculpture to recall the time when Station Road led to the village's station. The real Marquess ...
John Yellowlees 01/04/2016
Totem from Thornton Junction station which closed in 1969. So riddled was this area with mine workings that it is said that it was a constant battle ...
David Panton //
Black 5s 44871+45407 pass Thornton North Junction with The Cathedrals Express for Inverness on 10 May 2014. [See image 47278] ...
Bill Roberton 10/05/2014
Interesting display at Thornton on 23 August 2008, a tribute to, among other things, its railway heritage. ...
David Panton 23/08/2008

This is a four way junction. To the north the main line runs north to Ladybank and the mothballed branch to Cameron Bridge, (and formerly Leven [2nd] and the Fife Coast railway to St Andrews [2nd]), runs off to the north east. To the south the Dunfermline Branch heads west from the main line which runs south to Burntisland, (the Forth Bridge and [[Edinburgh ...

More details
GBRf 66733 at the head of the Royal Scotsman in Thornton Down Loop. ...
Bill Roberton 25/04/2016
66733 and 66746 with the Royal Scotsman parked in Thornton Down Loop for afternoon tea. The crumbling bridge in the foreground carried the branch to ...
Bill Roberton 25/04/2016
Looking west at Thornton North Junction at the beginning of the branch to Leven - out of use since the 1990s, but now being mooted for re-commencement ...
David Spaven 01/09/2011

This signal box was on the northern approaches to Thornton North Junction.
...

More details

This double track ten arch viaduct is south of Markinch station. It is 528 ft long overall and 78 ft high.
...

More details
A GNER Aberdeen bound HST heads north over Markinch Viaduct on 1 May 2005. The station is off picture to the left. View is east along the A911 road ...
John Furnevel 01/05/2005
Markinch to Edinburgh local train shortly after leaving Markinch passes over Markinch Viaduct. FSR class 170. ...
Brian Forbes 23/08/2008
Edinburgh - Markinch service crosses the viaduct just south of its destination in February 2007. ...
John Furnevel /02/2007
A GNER HST crossing the A911 road on Markinch Viaduct in May 2005 - photographed looking east. ...
John Furnevel 01/05/2005

This is a two platform station with a car park on the west side. The original station building, by architect David Bell, sill stands, a three storey building with the top two floors at road level and ground floor at platform level. There were timber waiting rooms at platform level. A large retaining wall runs down the east side of the station.
...

More details
The rear of 158728 departs Markinch with a service to Perth. ...
Caleb Abbott 12/05/2018
A 4-car 158 calls at Markinch on 10 October 2018 with a Perth to Edinburgh service. The signage announcing this as the stop for Glenrothes went when ...
David Panton 10/10/2018
View south over the new building at Markinch on 20 September. ...
John Furnevel 20/9/2007
170478 in SPT livery calls at Markinch on 26 July with the 1759 to Edinburgh.
...
Brian Forbes 26/07/2009

This coal depot siding was north of Markinch station, located on the west side and approached from the south.
...

More details
The former Co-op siding at Markinch, seen from a passing Inverness-bound train in May 1985. [See image 35591] ...
Bill Roberton /05/1985
Just north of Markinch Station was a short siding serving a co-op coal yard. It did not last long after this 1975 photograph was taken. ...
Bill Roberton //1975

Lochmuir Summit was to the west of Lochmuir Wood. A signal box opened here in 1901 with a siding on the west side, approached from the south. The signal box was at the south end of the siding.
...

More details
60009 Union of South Africa with the Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh leg of the Great Britain VII tour on 3 May, climbing towards ...
Bill Roberton 03/05/2014
Aberdeen-bound National Express HST service climbing to Lochmuir Summit, north of Markinch, on 12 March 2009. ...
Bill Roberton 12/03/2009
Scene just north of Markinch on 12 March as an Aberdeen-bound NXEC service approaches on the climb to Lochmuir Summit. ...
Bill Roberton 12/03/2009
47541 breasts Lochmuir Summit with a service for Aberdeen on 18th August 1990. For a 1979 comparison [see image 57841]. ...
Graeme Blair 18/08/1990

This was a two platform station. The main building building, on the northbound platform, survived into the 1980s.
...

More details
Late evening returning golf special heads for Edinburgh on 18 July near Falkland Road. ...
Brian Forbes 18/07/2007
One of the class 67 hauled Open Golf Championship specials put on by First ScotRail operating between Edinburgh and Carnoustie near Falkland ...
Brian Forbes 18/07/2007
Falkland Road looking north. There was a station building on the left until the 1980s. ...
Ewan Crawford //
DBS 66065 stands at Forthar, between the former stations at Falkland Road (in the background) and Kingskettle on 5 December 2013. The locomotive is at ...
Bill Roberton 05/12/2013

This was a two platform station with the northern part of the platforms partly over Station Road.
...

More details
1727 Edinburgh to Inverness passing Freuchie Mill Road near Kingskettle. ...
Brian Forbes /07/2007
A 5-car 158+170 combination heading north past Kingskettle on Sunday afternoon 3 April 2011. ...
Brian Forbes 03/04/2011
60009 coasts downhill with The North Briton near Kingskettle, Fife, on 13 April 2008. ...
Brian Forbes 13/04/2008
A class 170 rounds the long bend through Kingskettle, heading for Ladybank. ...
Brian Forbes 14/05/2007

This junction was south of Ladybank station on the west side of the line. Via a headshunt, approached from the north, the Fife and Kinross Railway could be reached and its bay platform on the west side of the station. Between the junction and the bay platform was a loop to allow the branch trains to run round. Malt Barns Siding was on the branch, approached by a headshunt. There were ...

More details
Removal of vegetation in (non-railway) groundworks immediately to the southwest of Ladybank station has revealed this struture in all its modest ...
David Panton 03/10/2018

This is a two platform station with the main original station building on the northbound platform, architect probably David Bell. The building is a complicated structure with different numbers of storeys.
...

More details
A Dundee to Edinburgh service calls at Ladybank on 3 October 2018. A train from the Perth line would of necessity be using the other platform. ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
With the crossover being south of the station Up trains off the Perth line have to use the Down platform. A four-car 158 from Perth to Edinburgh calls ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
An Arbroath to Edinburgh approaches Ladybank station on 30 January 2019. Since the Edinburgh to Dundee services were extended to Arbroath in December ...
David Panton 30/01/2019
A 5 car 170 train for Dundee, lengthened from the normal 3-car set due to the Open Golf Championship at St Andrews, calls at Ladybank on 17 July 2010. ...
Brian Forbes 17/07/2010

This is a two platform station. The building design is the smaller style of station on the former Edinburgh and Northern Railway by David Bell. The building is on the southbound platform.
...

More details
Springfield was perhaps a surprising station to escape Beeching, but it became unstaffed early with a peak hours only service. While the rest of ...
David Panton 23/07/2019
An Aberdeen to Edinburgh service passes Springfield on the warm evening of 23 July 2019. I am assuming a decision was taken that the standard ScotRail ...
David Panton 23/07/2019
Opened by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway in 1847, Springfield serves a village with a population of less than 1,000. Located between Cupar and ...
John Furnevel 22/05/2005
A southbound HST speeds through Springfield, Fife. ...
Bill Roberton //1996

This is a two platform station dating from 1847. The architect of the main station building on the northbound platform is thought to be David Bell. The central portion is two storey with a double arched entry. To the sides are single storey wings which link to two storey blocks on either side. A flat roofed canopy runs the full length on the platform side. The building on the southbound ...

More details
A poster for the latest exhibition in the museum at Cupar station: Work and War Horses 1914 - 1918. ...
John Yellowlees 19/04/2018
The ScotRail brand was created in 1983 and its image has changed many times since. As far as the exterior of Cupar station is concerned though nothing ...
David Panton 23/07/2019
View across the running lines at Cupar station on 11 August 2010 showing construction work in progress to facilitate disabled access to the southbound ...
Andrew Wilson 11/08/2010
Station Buildings, on the northbound platform. 2006 ...
Brian Forbes /09/2006

This signal box controlled access to the considerable sugar beet factory east of Cupar (and west of Dairsie).
...

More details

This two platform station was some way to the south of Dairsie (also known as Osnaburgh) with the platforms partly crossing over the minor road between Dairsie and Kemback. A loading bank, served by a goods loop, was to the north of the station on the west side. The signal box was at the north end of the southbound platform.
...

More details
66743, on a Royal Scotsman ECS working from Dundee to Edinburgh, has just passed the site of Dairsie station on 24th August 2018. The station ...
Mark Bartlett 24/08/2018
A 1997 view towards Leuchars from the former loading bank at Dairsie. [Ref query 810] The passenger station was behind the camera. ...
Ewan Crawford //1997

This junction was just south of Leuchars and faced that station. Originally the junction station was Leuchars [1st], somewhat further north. ...

More details

This is an island platform station which today is the closest to St Andrews. There is a car park on the east side of the station.
...

More details
43168 brings up the rear of the 09.04 from Aberdeen to Edinburgh, calling at Leuchars on 30th September 2019.
...
Bill Roberton 30/09/2019
Under construction at Leuchars - a new Caledonian Sleeper lounge. ...
John Yellowlees 24/03/2018
Rear view of Leuchars signal box in May 2005. For the front view at the time [see image 52520]. ...
John Furnevel 19/05/2005
A Dundee to Edinburgh service calls at Leuchars on 10 October 2018. Occupying the site of the south bay buffers is a new lounge for Caledonian Sleeper ...
David Panton 10/10/2018

This was a four platform station. A bay existed on either side for the [St Andrews Railway] branch. To the south of the station was a small yard on the west side of the line. The main station building was on the southbound platform.
...

More details

This siding was located between Leuchars (Old) and Tayport. The siding was located on the double track line between those two stations. Access to the siding was by reversal from the southbound line.
...

More details
View East past Rhynd Wood toward Leuchars. ...
Brian Forbes 25/03/2007
View West to Tayport from the Rhynd Farm Crossing. Line closed 1955. ...
Brian Forbes 25/03/2007



Terminus

...

More details
View from the Bell Rock Hotel, across the level crossing and Tayport station site on 8th August 2018. Broughty Ferry is in the distance.
...
Gary Straiton 08/08/2018
In 1996 one solitary building from the railway remained, the brick building off to the right. This has since been demolished. The brick wall, which ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
View south on what was the southbound platform at Tayport station. The Newport platform was off to the right. To the left is the harbour from which ...
Ewan Crawford //1996
The housing covers a large goods yard. Centre of pier was where tramp steamers tied up. There was a wagon tip-up which when the door was opened ...
Brian Forbes /03/2007




Ladybank to Perth

This is a two platform station with the main original station building on the northbound platform, architect probably David Bell. The building is a complicated structure with different numbers of storeys.
...

More details
A Dundee to Edinburgh service calls at Ladybank on 3 October 2018. A train from the Perth line would of necessity be using the other platform. ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
With the crossover being south of the station Up trains off the Perth line have to use the Down platform. A four-car 158 from Perth to Edinburgh calls ...
David Panton 03/10/2018
An Arbroath to Edinburgh approaches Ladybank station on 30 January 2019. Since the Edinburgh to Dundee services were extended to Arbroath in December ...
David Panton 30/01/2019
A 5 car 170 train for Dundee, lengthened from the normal 3-car set due to the Open Golf Championship at St Andrews, calls at Ladybank on 17 July 2010. ...
Brian Forbes 17/07/2010

Aligned with the Perth route were two buildings, Ladybank Works and locomotive shed, both on the east side of the line. The works building still stands and is an excellent early survivor.
...

More details
The disused coaling stage at Ladybank shed photographed on the occasion of an EURS brake van trip over the then freight only line to Hilton Junction ...
Bill Jamieson 03/03/1971
Once a busy sub-shed of Thornton (62A), those days were long gone at Ladybank by March 1971 - except that a class 08 shunter stabled near the former ...
Bill Jamieson 03/03/1971

Aligned with the Perth route were two buildings, a works building and locomotive shed, both on the east side of the line. The works building still stands and is an excellent early survivor.
...

More details
View north of the former workshops in 1989. ...
Ewan Crawford //1989
Part of the former EP&D works buiding at Ladybank looking south towards the station from the level crossing on the Perth line on 20 September 2007. A ...
John Furnevel 20/09/2007
The old wagon shops at Ladybank on 23 February 2011, photographed from a passing train on the Perth line [see image 32886]. ...
John Yellowlees 23/02/2011
Looking into the remains of the former Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee works just north of Ladybank station in 2007. ...
Bill Roberton //2007

This was a two platform station with a bay (the goods siding) on the northbound platform at the north end. Opposite this was a signal box. The north end was built over a road bridge. The box was to close in 1934 when the line was singled.
...

More details
37409 + 37405 climb past Collessie with an SRPS Linlithgow - Kyle of Lochalsh tour on 19th September 1998. ...
Graeme Blair 19/09/1998
The 1526 ex-Ladybank heads for Perth past fields near the Fife village of Collessie in the summer of 2010. ...
Brian Forbes /06/2010
The Western Chieftain railtour passes Collessie on 21 June. ...
Brian Forbes 21/06/2009
Fife Animal Park and Bistro, Collessie. The peak is East Lomond. A turbostar heads for Ladybank. ...
Brian Forbes 26/04/2007

This was a temporary terminus of the line from Ladybank before it was extended west ultimately to Hilton Junction.
...

More details
47817 approaches Abdie with a diverted overnight London - Inverness service. Originally constructed with double track throughout most of the Ladybank ...
Graeme Blair 29/07/1990

The Edinburgh and Northern Railway, a double track line, was met by the single track Newburgh and North Fife Railway. The St Fort line doubled before joining and had a looped refuge siding.
...

More details
Photographed from the former loading bank on 13.9.86, 37260 is seen heading a Perth - Edinburgh ecs working. ...
Graeme Blair 13/09/1986
Standing roughly at the same spot as Bill Roberton [see image 57550] but looking in the opposite direction, 37175 passes Glenburnie on 2.9.94 with an ...
Graeme Blair 02/09/1994
The 6inch OS map of 1854 shows a siding and building at Glenburnie on the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee railway between Newburgh and Lindores. Neither ...
Bill Roberton //1988
170 418 forms the 1159 Perth-Edinburgh service, just south of Lindores Loch on the Hilton Junction-Ladybank line ...
Bill Roberton 20/02/2009

This was a short lived terminus before the line from Ladybank was extended west to Abernethy Road.
...

More details
A diverted southbound HST heading towards the former Glenburnie Junction. ...
Bill Roberton //1988




Kirkcaldy Harbour Branch

This junction was located at Rosebery Terrace with the main line of the Edinburgh and Northern Railway and the Kirkcaldy Harbour branch running parallel as far as Dunniker Road, the harbour line serving several works and making a second connection, before curving off to the south east down a steeply graded branch to the harbour.
...

More details





The former Kirkcaldy Corporation Tramways power station in Victoria Road. Operating from 1902 the tramway closed in 1931 but the power plant continued ...
Bill Roberton 25/08/2018



Road entrance to Kirkcaldy harbour on a quiet Sunday morning in the summer of 2007, more than 23 years after the line from Harbour Branch Junction had ...
John Furnevel 22/07/2007
Looking down the Kirkcaldy Harbour branch with the A921 bridge in the middle distance. This and most of the buildings shown would be removed in the ...
Bill Roberton /02/1991
The surviving bridge abutments, embankment and arches are all part of the branch that once served Kirkcaldy Harbour (off picture to the left). View ...
John Furnevel 22/07/2007
Traces of the former railway can still be found within what remains of the harbour although much of the area has now given way to new developments ...
John Furnevel 22/07/2007




Burntisland West Dock

This junction was east of the 1847 Burntisland [1st] terminus and its 1890 replacement Burntisland.
...

More details
Freightliner 66593 with a train of concrete sleepers at Burntisland. A machine is tamping the trackbed in preparation for setting out the sleepers. ...
Bill Roberton 13/01/2019
67025 passes Burntisland Links on 13 August with the 17.08 Edinburgh - Fife Circle service. ...
Bill Roberton 13/08/2010
Edinburgh bound 170 470 passes the disused Burntisland Junction on 18 April 2009. The junction once provided access to Burntisland docks and ...
David Panton 18/04/2009
27205 powers past Burntisland on an Edinburgh - Perth service on 17th July 1981. ...
Graeme Blair 17/07/1981

This dock is in Burntisland Harbour. There is a dock gate. Burntisland Shipyard, to the west, remains open.
...

More details




Burntisland East Dock

This junction was east of Burntisland and Burntisland Junction. It opened in 1901 along with the associated Lammerlaws Yard and Burntisland East Dock.
...

More details
66 101 stands at the head of a ballast train at Burntisland East Junction during Sunday engineering works on 14 June 2009 ...
David Panton 14/06/2009
J37 0-6-0 no 64606 near Burntisland East Junction in 1965. ...
Jim Peebles //1965
Ballast being spread on the Up line at the former junction with the Dock branch besides Burntisland links. GBRf 66708 is at the front of the train. ...
Bill Roberton 13/01/2019
Pettycur Heights are background to a 170 as it slows for the Burntisland stop. ...
Brian Forbes 15/05/2007

This yard was approached from the east at Burntisland East Junction and was divided into a portion for the north side of Burntisland East Dock and south side portion.
...

More details
A train of bogie bolsters with pipes on board in the sidings at Burntisland Docks in 1987. Possibly the last rail traffic there. ...
Bill Roberton //1987
Looking east to the end of the line at Burntisland Docks. The rails used to connect with the main line for coal traffic but were cut back in the ...
Bill Roberton //1987
The since-lifted remains of Lammerlaws Yard, to the east of Burntisland docks, looking east on 31 March 2002 with the rocky promontory of Lammerlaws ...
David Panton 31/03/2002

This is the larger dock at the harbour of Burntisland. There is a dock gate at the west end. This dock was formerly associate with the shipping of coal from the extensive Fife coal field's mines.
...

More details
The sparsely populated Burntisland Docks in July 2002. ...
John Furnevel 30/07/2002
Burntisland Dock viewed from the station. View looks south towards Granton. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Burntisland East Dock, looking west on 31 March 2002. Later that year the familiar Bulkhandling 5 no longer had a reason to visit the dock as the ...
David Panton 31/05/2002
Unloading in progress at Burntisland docks in 1971. ...
John Furnevel 23/03/1971

This pier opened in 1901 to replace the Burntisland Albert Pier which was removed during the construction of the Burntisland East Dock.
...

More details
The Burntisland Ferry Booking Office in 1973, demolished a few years later to make way for a short-lived hovercraft operation. The lettering on the ...
Bill Roberton //1973