This junction was east of Burntisland and Burntisland Junction. It opened in 1901 along with the associated Lammerlaws Yard and Burntisland East Dock.
A new signal box, Burntisland East, opened with the junction. This was a little to the west, on the south side of the line, and at the east end of the Burntisland Works.
There was a series accident here (between Burntisland Junction and Burntisland East Junction) by Burntisland Works in 1914 in which the locomotive 'Auld Reekie' ended up in sand on north side of the line.
The box took over Burntisland Junction box in 1936 and was itself renamed Burntisland Junction.
In 1969 Burntisland Junction was taken out, approach to Burntisland Harbour being entirely from the east junvtion.
With the 1979 resignalling (signalling taken over by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre) the box closed, Burntisland East Junction was taken out (along with much of Lammerlaws Yard) and Burntisland Junction reinstated.
The dock lines fell out of use around 1993.
Granton Gasworks [Station]
| Burntisland Works|
Burntisland Control Bunker
Burntisland East Dock
Burntisland West Dock
Burntisland Aluminium Works
Newbiggin Signal Box [2nd]
Burntisland Albert Pier
Burntisland New Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|14/04/1914||Edinburgh and Northern Railway|
Collision at Burntisland East Junction between London to Aberdeen express and Carlisle to Dundee goods.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife