Sinclairtown [1st] (1847-1900)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Northern Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a three platform station to the west of St Clair Street. There were two main line platforms and a bay for trains to the west, on the south side.
There was a goods yard to the west, reached by reversing from the eastbound platform. The signal box was at the west end of the eastbound platform.
The station was relocated to Sinclairtown [2nd] on the east side of St Clair Street.
A second goods yard was provided to the south, approached by reversing from the westbound line. This partly reused the site of the bay. Later the bay became the NCL depot.
Slightly further west a siding ran to the Dunniker Colliery.
Forbo-Nairn, the last remaining linoleum factory in production in the Kirkcaldy area, is just north of the line to the west of the former station. Forbo
Glenrothes with Thornton
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Other railway and industry locations
Sinclairtown NCL Depot
Kirkcaldy Corporation Tramways Power Station
Kirkcaldy Harbour Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife