Glasgow Central Railway

Introduction

This railway is open between Partick and Rutherglen. The system was entirely closed in the late 1960s but portions were re-opened as the Argyle Line in 1979.






Dates

  /  /1888[Glasgow Central Railway]
Act receives Royal assent
  /  /1889[Glasgow Central Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Glasgow Central Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway. Alternative date 31/5/1890
26/11/1894Glasgow Central Railway
Stobcross to Maryhill Central opened. This gave the Caledonian Railway access to the Queens Dock lines.
01/11/1895[Glasgow Central Railway]
Glasgow Cross opened
01/11/1895[Glasgow Central Railway]
Glasgow Green opened
01/11/1895[Glasgow Central Railway]
Rutherglen to Glasgow Cross opened to passengers.
10/08/1896[Glasgow Central Railway]
Maryhill to Glasgow Central Low Level to Glasgow Cross opened.
01/10/1896[Glasgow Central Railway]
Line opened completely
01/02/1897[Glasgow Central Railway]
Bridgeton Cross to Carmyle to Newton section opened to passengers.
01/05/1908[Glasgow Central Railway]
Dawsholm station closed.
01/01/1917[Glasgow Central Railway]
Glasgow Green closed
01/06/1919[Glasgow Central Railway]
Glasgow Green re-opened
06/02/1939[Glasgow Central Railway]
Botanic Gardens closed.
01/05/1939[Glasgow Central Railway]
Kirklee closed.
03/03/1952[Glasgow Central Railway]
Parkhead renamed Parkhead Stadium.
04/08/1952[Glasgow Central Railway]
Kelvinbridge closed.
02/11/1953[Glasgow Central Railway]
Glasgow Green closed
  /  /1956Glasgow Central Railway
Line re-signaled with power boxes at Bridgeton Cross and Stobcross.
17/06/1957[Glasgow Central Railway]
Kirkhill (Kirkhill Junction) to Carmyle (Westburn Junction) closed to passengers
03/08/1959Glasgow Central Railway
Stobcross station closed.
03/08/1959[Glasgow Central Railway]
Anderston Cross station closed.
02/11/1959Glasgow Central Railway
Maryhill Central to Stobcross (Via Kelvinbridge) closed to passengers.
14/08/1960Glasgow Central Railway
Kelvinbridge to Stobcross Junction closed to freight.
06/07/1964[Glasgow Central Railway]
Maryhill Central Junction to Kelvinbridge closed to freight
03/10/1964[Glasgow Central Railway]
Dawsholm shed closed.
05/10/1964[Glasgow Central Railway]
Bridgeton Cross to Carmyle to Newton closed to passengers
05/10/1964[Glasgow Central Railway]
Bridgeton Cross to Tollcross closed to all traffic
05/10/1964[Glasgow Central Railway]
Partick Central to Rutherglen closed to passengers
05/10/1964[Glasgow Central Railway]
Partick Central to Strathclyde Junction closed to all traffic
05/10/1964[Glasgow Central Railway]
Glasgow Central Low Level closed
05/10/1964[Glasgow Central Railway]
Glasgow Cross closed
04/04/1966[Glasgow Central Railway]
Tollcross to Tollcross East closed to freight
  /  /1968[Glasgow Central Railway]
Kelvinbridge station (closed) burns down.
  /  /1969[Glasgow Central Railway]
Kelvinbridge station demolished.
  /  /1970[Glasgow Central Railway]
Botanic Gardens station building burns down
  /  /1970[Glasgow Central Railway]
Botanic Gardens station building destroyed by fire. This also burned the below-ground buildings at platform level.
  /  /1970[Glasgow Central Railway]
Kirklee station buildings demolished.
  /  /1977[Glasgow Central Railway]
Glasgow Cross building demolished.
05/11/1979Glasgow Central Railway
The Argyle Line; Stobcross to Strathclyde Junction and Rutherglen Junction re-opened to passengers. Stations at; Finnieston [2nd] , Anderston, Glasgow Central Low Level, Argyle Street, Dalmarnock and Rutherglen.
05/11/1979[Glasgow Central Railway]
Glasgow Central Low Level re-opened
  /  /1986Stobcross RailwayGlasgow Central Railway
Finnieston [2nd] renamed Exhibition Centre.
09/12/1994Glasgow Central Railway
The River Kelvin bursts its banks and floods the disused tunnels from Kelvinbridge to Stobcross, where it floods the open Argyle Line railway. The route through Low Level Glasgow Central is closed between Partick and Rutherglen and trains are diverted onto the Sunnyside Junction to Whifflet section of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway for access to Motherwell. This remains in operation for around nine months.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Maryhill to Rutherglen

This was a four platform station. There were two through platforms and, on either side, two bay platforms for terminating services via Glasgow Central. These bays had carriage sidings alongside. Platforms were canopied. The majority of passenger trains terminated here, however the through lines were for passenger trains to Possil and goods and mineral trains running from [[Balornock ...

More details
View of Maryhill Central station on 25 July 1951 looking north towards Maryhill Road. Dawsholm shed's Stanier 2-6-2T 40153 stands in the sidings on ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/07/1951
The BLS Bathgate & District Railtour waiting to leave Maryhill Central on 6 May 1961. The special visited various branches between Glasgow and ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1961
McIntosh ex-CaledonIan 0-4-4T 55168 with a city bound train at Maryhill Central in the summer of 1951. View is north east, with Maryhill Road running ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 25/07/1951
In 1988 the cutting between Maryhill Road and the Forth and Clyde Canal was filled in. The station site, seen beyond the bridge, was filled in for the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This junction was west of Maryhill Central station. The station was on the east side of Garrioch Road and junction on the west side.
...

More details
Looking south over the former Glasgow Central Railway viaduct spanning the River Kelvin in May 2011. Kirklee station (closed in May 1939) stood a ...
Veronica Clibbery 07/05/2011
The former Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway viaduct seen looking south over the River Kelvin on 7 May 2011. Part of the adjacent viaduct built by ...
Veronica Clibbery 07/05/2011
Maryhill Central Junction was off to the left, beyond which was the station. The nearer girder viaduct carried the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire ...
Rod Crawford 01/11/2015
1988 view from the girder bridge of the Dumbarton - Balornock line showing the stone arch viaduct of the line from Glasgow Central Low Level with the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This was a two platform station with buildings by John James Burnet. The main building was on the northbound platform alongside Kirklee Place.
...

More details
The remains of Kirklee Station. ...
Bill Roberton //1993
The abutments of the substantial bridge that carried the tracks and platforms of Kirklee station across Glasgow's Ford Road. Above - immediately ...
Colin Miller 30/06/2013
Signal Wire Runner. ...
Colin Harkins 09/07/2006
After closure of the line at Kirklee the site became 'Callanders' Mercedes garage. The site was cleared in 1998 and there was a brief window before ...
Ewan Crawford //1998

This is a disused double tunnel between Kirklee station to the west and Botanic Gardens station to the east. The tunnel has a fine west portal. This portal entry is gated to prevent access to Botanic Gardens station. The tunnel is a conventional brick lined elliptical one, not cut and cover unlike Great Western Road tunnel which is to the east of Botanic Gardens. ...

More details
The tunnel portal to the west of Botanic Gardens station. ...
Bill Roberton //1993

This was a two platform station in the west end of Glasgow. The station was below ground level with a fine surface building.
...

More details
Glasgow Central Railway. Botanic Gardens station from above. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 24/04/2008
The street level station buildings at Botanic Gardens can be seen beyond the tram on Great Western Road. The building has been said to have something ...
Ewan Crawford Collection //
Daylight beginning to break through from above. ...
Colin Harkins 09/07/2006
Exit stairwell from Glasgow bound platform. ...
Colin Harkins 09/07/2006

This is a disused double track cut and cover tunnel under Great Western Road between Botantic Gardens station (west) and Kelvinbridge station (east). The tunnel is not only below the roadway but also below the pipes of Glasgow Corporation's Loch Katrine Aquaduct. ...

More details
RUSKIN PLACE metal plate with letters cast in, approx 1200 x 300 mm. Located approx 1/3rd way thro tunnel from Botanic Gdns Station to ...
Alistair MacKenzie 01/12/1979

This was a two platform station. The north end of the station platforms were on a bridge over the River Kelvin. On the east side of the station was a goods yard, approached from the south.
...

More details
The former Kelvin Bridge Station in 1993, with the tunnel mouth blocked off and Caledonian Mansions above. ...
Bill Roberton //1993
Glasgow Central Railway. Bridge over the River Kelvin at the site of the former GCR Kelvin Bridge station. ...
Alistair MacKenzie 24/04/2008
Looking from what used to be the eastbound platform of the Glasgow Central Railway's Kelvin Bridge station standing above the River on 2 December ...
John McIntyre 02/12/2011
Ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T 55156 draws to a halt at Kelvin Bridge station on 14 September 1951. The city bound train has recently emerged from the tunnel ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 14/09/1951



This signal box was located between Stobcross, to the south, and Kelvinbridge stations. It was on concrete overline bracing in the very short section of open line between Stobcross Depot Tunnel, to the south, and St Vincent Crescent Tunnel to the north. To its immediate south, and in the open air, the line was crossed above by the Glasgow City and District Railway, both lines ...

More details

This was a double track tunnel between St Vincent Crescent Signal Box to the north and Stobcross station to the south east where it met Kelvinhaugh Tunnel.
...

More details

This station is at the east end of a flying junction from Partick, leading to an unusual V shape.
...

More details
A Whifflet service calls at Exhibition Centre on 7 July. The Up and Down lines come together at this end of the platform, having made their own, ...
David Panton 07/07/2018
A service for Dalmuir via Yoker calls at Exhibition Centre on 13 July 2019. The track on the right is a siding (buffers behind me) used by the few ...
David Panton 13/07/2019
Exhibition Centre masquerading as Craiglang for the duration of the run of 'Still Game' at the centre. This would be the fourth name for this location ...
John Yellowlees 16/02/2017
The train now standing on platform 1 is... Barry the Barrel! [see news item] ...
First ScotRail 22/02/2012

This goods depot was located next to the Queens Dock on the north side of Pointhouse Road. By reversal a set of holding sidings could be reached to the west. Sidings serving the quaysides were south of the road.
...

More details
Looking east at what was once part of the railway serving the Queens Dock. The line connected to the mainline at Stobcross. To the left is the open ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
The former goods depot at Stobcross low level, alongside Queen's Dock, looking east towards Glasgow city centre in September 1958. Locomotives in the ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/09/1958

This is a double track tunnel between Exhibition Centre and Anderston stations. The tunnel is 500 yds long.
...

More details

This is an island platform station. There is a ticket office at street level, below the Kingston Bridge, a motorway bridge.
...

More details
318268, on a Cumbernauld service, calling at Anderston station, Glasgow, on 26th July 2017. ...
David Bosher 26/07/2017
318268, on a service to Cumbernauld, arriving at Anderston station, Glasgow, on 26th July 2017. ...
David Bosher 26/07/2017
Green liveried 320416 at Anderston station on Friday 5th August 2016. ...
Veronica Clibbery 05/08/2016
Situated underneath Scotland's busiest stretch of road, and with roads on
...
David Panton 22/05/2017

This is an underground island platform station with two faces.
...

More details
320413 has just arrived at Glasgow Central Low Level with a service to Larkhall as the passengers on platform 16 wait for the doors to open. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
Talking trains? Help for the uninitiated at Glasgow Central Low Level. ...
David Panton 22/06/2019
A 320 with a Dalmuir service calls on 11/02/2017. For long enough 320s were
...
David Panton 11/02/2017
A Whifflet train calls at Central Low Level on 5 August. It's only 11am but already Celtic fans are making their way to Dalmarnock for Celtic Park. ...
David Panton 05/08/2017

This is an underground island platform station principally accessed from Argyle Street, a busy shopping street in Glasgow. The ticket office is at street level.
...

More details
A service to Whifflet calls at Argyle Street on 10 January 2019. 320317 is the rear unit on this 6 car service which only just fits on the platform. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
The entrance passageway to Argyle Street station, seen on 5 January 2019. ...
David Panton 05/01/2019
Mr Magoo about to board a Larkhall service at Argyle Street on 13 July 2019. ...
David Panton 13/07/2019
Looking west along the platforms at Argyle Street on 8 September 2018. Colour schemes have come and gone, but the stations retains the yellow wall ...
David Panton 08/09/2018

This was an underground station with an island platform of two faces. There was a surface level building by John James Burnet on a road traffic island in the Trongate.
...

More details
Unconcerned by the sound of a fast approaching Motherwell train, pedestrians stroll casually past the site of the former Glasgow Cross station on 31 ...
Colin McDonald 31/01/2015
View from Glasgow Cross (with the plinth covering site of the former station on the left) along Trongate and Argyle Street to Central Station (right ...
Colin McDonald 21/01/2015
With a little imagination, we might be looking along the boiler of a steam locomotive towards the bridges where the City of Glasgow Union Railway ...
Colin McDonald 31/01/2015
Little noticed by passing traffic and busy pedestrians, this inscription in the south face of the plinth covering the location of the former Glasgow ...
Colin McDonald 31/01/2015

This was a two platform station located in a dressed stone lined cutting. There was a surface level building at the west end, above the line, on Binnie Place. Lettering above the double doors of the entrance read 'Glasgow Green Station'. The station had no goods sidings.
...

More details
Ex-NB N15 0-6-2T 69163 makes a photostop at the closed Glasgow Green on 6 May 1961 with the BLS Bathgate and District rail tour. The special, which ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1961
The shored-up facade of Glasgow Green station photographed on 13
...
David Panton 13/04/2011
It's difficult to get a decent shot of the platform side of the former Glasgow Green station (closed 1953) as it's between tunnels and the only ...
David Panton 02/05/2011
Two memorable buildings. The remains of Glasgow Green station, with Templetons carpet factory beyond. February 2005. ...
John Furnevel 19/02/2005

This is a two platform station.
...

More details
318264, operating a Larkhall service, pulls into 'Brigton' on 2nd September 2017.
...
David Panton 02/09/2017
318265 calls at Bridgeton with an eastbound service on 10 January 2019. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
The 1104 Motherwell - Milngavie Argyle Line service leaves Bridgeton on Sunday morning 12 October 2014 and disappears into the 460 yard Canning Street ...
Veronica Clibbery 12/10/2014
Scotrail's programme of Gaelic education by station nameboard rolls
...
David Panton 11/09/2010

This is a partly underground two platform station. It is a re-opened station which opened with the Argyle Line. The south east end of the station is exposed but in a deep stone lined cutting and the north west end is in the Dalmarnock Road Tunnel. There are heavy concrete cross-braces over the line to support the cutting walls.
...

More details
Engineering works in the Motherwell area on 25th August 2018 meant that this Class 318 was entering Dalmarnock ECS after biding its time in the ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
320414 comes out of the gloom as it departs from Dalmarnock with a service to Motherwell on 10 January 2019. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
320414 departs from Dalmarnock with a service to Motherwell on 10 January 2019. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
1324 service to Larkhall leaving Dalmarnock for Rutherglen.
...
Colin Harkins 29/01/2015



This seemingly grandiosely named junction was named for the Strathclyde Print Works which was on the north bank of the River Clyde by Dalmarnock House. In 1866 the Dalmarnock Branch (Caledonian Railway) opened from Dalmarnock Junction, Rutherglen, north to Bridgeton Goods, the line passing along the western boundary of the works. The junction was formed in 1877 when the ...

More details
Coming together. View south approximately half way between Dalmarnock station and the River Clyde on 1 April 2007. To the left is the trackbed of the ...
John Furnevel 01/04/2007
Ex-NB J36 0-6-0 65232 shunting at Strathclyde Junction on 17 May 1957. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1957
Just south of Strathclyde Junction is this view looking south to Rutherglen. The yard on the left is Bridgeton Yard for the Civil Engineer. The line ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Trains pass at Strathclyde Junction in 1988. To the left is the high level Switchback line and the trains are on the low level Glasgow Central line. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This foundry was on the west side of the Dalmarnock Branch (Caledonian Railway) and Strathclyde Junction. The works was on the south side of Arthur Street.
...

More details




Dawsholm to Kirklee

This gas works was opened by the Partick, Hillhead and Maryhill Gas Company. Glasgow Corporation bought the works in 1891, naming it Gasworks No 4.
...

More details
The site of the NB sidings for Temple Gas Works viewed from the south, seen in 1999 before housing was built over the site. These sidings were ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
View east over the Caledonian Railway's line to Anniesland Gasworks. This line was opened around 1905 and closed in the 1920s. It branched off the ...
Ewan Crawford //1999

Also known as Gas Works No 2, Glasgow Corporation.
...

More details

This was the terminus of the Glasgow Central Railway branch from Bellshaugh Junction. The station had an island platform with a building at the north end and a glazed canopy running down the platform. It was immediately south of the Kelvin Aquaduct of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
...

More details
The piers of the line which carried the Caledonian Railway's Anniesland Gas Works branch from Dawsholm across the River Kelvin in a view looking to ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Ex-Caledonian Pug 0-4-0ST no 56029 stands in the sidings at Dawsholm on 23 May 1959. Not, as it might at first seem, part of a condemned line, ...
K A Gray 23/05/1959
Part of the Caledonian Railway Dawsholm Passenger Station sign painted on the Maryhill aqueduct. To the top left PASS can be seen and to ...
Ewan Crawford 12/02/2005

This shed was developed on the east side of the Dawsholm to Bellshaugh Junction line of the Glasgow Central Railway. The shed was single ended and approached from the north.
...

More details
Caledonian 0-4-0ST 56039 in store at Dawsholm shed in 1961. ...
Bill Hamilton //1961
The preserved North British 4-4-0 no 256 Glen Douglas, photographed on Dawsholm shed in September 1959. ...
K A Gray /09/1959
Stanier 3MT 2-6-2T 40177 in store at Dawsholm shed in a sylvan location in 1961 prior to removal to the Bo'ness dump. ...
Bill Hamilton //1961
Caledonian single no 123 photographed on Dawsholm shed in September 1959. To the left is GNSR No 49 Gordon Highlander and on the right NB no ...
K A Gray /09/1959

This was a double track viaduct crossing the River Kelvin and Kelvindale Road. A girder section crossed the road at north end, then a short masonry arch section and a steel truss section over the river.
...

More details
Part of the former Glasgow Central Railway viaduct over the River Kelvin, seen looking east from Kelvindale Road in May 2011. To the left was ...
Veronica Clibbery 07/05/2011
Partially dismantled viaduct over the River Kelvin, just south of Dawsholm, seen from Kelvindale Road in March 2011. ...
Bill Roberton 21/03/2011

This was a four way junction. To the west were the lines to Dawsholm (north west, 1895) and Dumbarton Central (west, 1896). To the east were the lines to Maryhill Central and Balornock Junction (east, 1895) and Glasgow Central (south, 1896). The junction was on a cramped site on the south bank of the River Kelvin, the Dawsholm fork crossing the river immediately north west ...

More details
Caley Jumbo 0-6-0 57341 labours past Bellshaugh Junction with an eastbound freight on 22 September 1959. [Ref query 6530] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/09/1959




Bridgeton to Carmyle

Bridgeton to Carmyle

This is a two platform station.
...

More details
318264, operating a Larkhall service, pulls into 'Brigton' on 2nd September 2017.
...
David Panton 02/09/2017
318265 calls at Bridgeton with an eastbound service on 10 January 2019. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
The 1104 Motherwell - Milngavie Argyle Line service leaves Bridgeton on Sunday morning 12 October 2014 and disappears into the 460 yard Canning Street ...
Veronica Clibbery 12/10/2014
Scotrail's programme of Gaelic education by station nameboard rolls
...
David Panton 11/09/2010

This was a two platform station. Station buildings were at platform level with glazed canopies. There was a signal box (Parkhead Station box 1897-1963) at the east end, north side of the line, and no goods yard. The station was located in a shallow cutting.
...

More details
Little remains of this overbridge between Parkhead South and Tollcross. ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
The trackbed outline still exists.. Complete with path. This area has bad drainage and is well used by pigeon breeders ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
Notice the remains of the old Ballast... ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006
Nothing remains of Parkhead Stadium Station!! maybe time-team will un-earth its secrets ...
Colin Harkins 29/08/2006


This signal box was east of Maukinfauld Road and on the north side of the line. It controlled access to various works east of Parkhead Stadium station.
...

More details


This was an island platform station on a raised embankment. The station building was canopied all around. The signal box was across the westbound line from the station building. There was a goods yard on the north side, approached from the east.
...

More details
Stanier 3P 2-6-2T 40176 leaving Tollcross eastbound on 27 July 1961. The train is a Dumbarton Central to Carmyle service. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 27/07/1961
Motherwell based Fairburn 2-6-4T 42203 eastbound approaching Tollcross station in July 1961 with a Maryhill - Whifflet train. Tollcross Park is on the ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 22/07/1961
Looking east towards Tollcross on 1 August 1961. The station closed to passengers on 5 October 1964. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 01/08/1961
Motherwell based ex-Caledonian 4-4-0 54498 calls at Tollcross on 29 July 1949 with a westbound train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 29/07/1949



This signal box opened in 1913, some years after the line opened in 1896. It was opened to serve the branch to Stewart and Lloyds' Tollcross Tube Works. The box was located on the north side of the London Road overbridge and was on the west side of the line.
...

More details

This is a two platform station which was opened in 1993 on the site of a former station.
...

More details
A Kirkwood to Dalmuir service enters the rather featureless Carmyle Station on 25 August 2018. Trains were originating from Kirkwood rather than ...
David Panton 25/08/2018
66092 with empty coal hoppers passes through Carmyle on a sunny Tuesday evening. ...
Colin Harkins 15/04/2008
The North Briton. 60009 Union of South Africa leading, passes through Carmyle on 15 April 2008. ...
Colin Harkins 15/04/2008
Royal Scot no 46115 Scots Guardsman passes Carmyle at 19.04 on 24 April with the Inverness to Glasgow Central leg of the 'Great Britain V' ...
Ken Browne 24/04/2012

This was a double junction. The existing 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway was met by the 1896/7 Glasgow Central Railway which used the original line for a very short distance between its two portions. The Carmyle goods yard was modified to lead off the Glasgow Central Low Level route. The signal box (which replaced the old Carmyle box) was on the south side of the line ...

More details
Glen Douglas and City of Truro passing Carmyle Junction on 19 September 1959 with one of the many Scottish Industries Exhibition ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 19/09/1959




Carmyle to Newton

This was a double junction. The existing 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway was met by the 1896/7 Glasgow Central Railway which used the original line for a very short distance between its two portions. The Carmyle goods yard was modified to lead off the Glasgow Central Low Level route. The signal box (which replaced the old Carmyle box) was on the south side of the line ...

More details
Glen Douglas and City of Truro passing Carmyle Junction on 19 September 1959 with one of the many Scottish Industries Exhibition ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 19/09/1959


Up or Down ? Track ID/mileage plate on W side of main track but on a higher level at Carmyle sidings just N of bridge over Clyde. Numerals 26 ...
Alistair MacKenzie 06/12/1979


This signal box was north of Westburn Viaduct and south of Carmyle Junction (and Carmyle Goods Yard). It was on the east side of the line.
...

More details

This double track viaduct crosses the River Clyde between Carmyle Junction and Westburn Junction, to its immediate south.
...

More details
Westburn Viaduct, east side. ...
Ewan Crawford /07/1998
The GCR Westburn Viaduct looking south across the Clyde from Carmyle in April 2007. ...
John Furnevel 08/04/2007
Westburn Viaduct viewed from the west. ...
Ewan Crawford /07/1998
The sandstone piers and lattice deck girders of Westburn Viaduct, Carmyle, photographed in April 2007 looking south across the Clyde. The line closed ...
John Furnevel 08/04/2007

This junction was to the south of the Westburn Viaduct. Here the Glasgow Central Railway of 1896 (the portion between Carmyle Junction and Steel Company of Scotland Works Junction, now Newton West Junction) was met by the 1904 Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway branch from Kirkhill Junction.
...

More details

This was the junction between the former Clydesdale Junction Railway and the Glasgow Central Railway to the immediate west of Newton station. To the immediate west of the junction the former Clydesdale Junction Railway and Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway part and run a short distance west before diverging. ...

More details

This is a two platform station. The location was formerly a four platform station, the two northern tracks no longer have platforms and allow non-stop trains to bypass the station.
...

More details
A pair of Class 318s leave Newton heading to Motherwell via Hamilton on the afternoon of 10 January 2019. ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
A Larkhall to Dalmuir service at Newton on 8 September 2018. The long-disused signal box seems destined to lower over the western end of the station ...
David Panton 08/09/2018
Passing trains at Newton on 10 January 2019. On the left is 320310 heading west via Rutherglen. On the right are 318269 and 318255 heading towards ...
John McIntyre 10/01/2019
318 269 awaits its departure time from Newton on 23 June with a service for Glasgow Central. ...
John Steven 23/06/2009





Westburn to Kirkhill

This junction was to the south of the Westburn Viaduct. Here the Glasgow Central Railway of 1896 (the portion between Carmyle Junction and Steel Company of Scotland Works Junction, now Newton West Junction) was met by the 1904 Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway branch from Kirkhill Junction.
...

More details

This junction was east of Kirkhill station and Kirkhill Tunnel. Here the line from Ardrossan North (and today from Neilston) divided into routes to Newton and Carmyle. The junction was in a cutting directly east of the tunnel.
...

More details




Second Clyde Viaduct

This viaduct was added to the east of the existing Dalmarnock Branch (Caledonian Railway). With the addition of a new approach at either end this was brought into use for the older line. The original bridge was now used for the Glasgow Central Railway. When the Argyle Line re-opened the newer bridge was used, the older bridge has been dismantled.

This viaduct was opened in 1895 to the immediate east of Clyde Viaduct [Rutherglen] [1st]. It was built by the Glasgow Central Railway to take the lines of the older Dalmarnock Branch (Caledonian Railway) which had opened in 1861.
...

More details
Clyde Viaduct, Dalmarnock. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988

This junction was replaced by the present Rutherglen North Junction, the present junction being south of the former Clydebridge Junction (the original Rutherglen North Junction [1st] was further south).
...

More details
42243 approaching Rutherglen station on 17 May 1957 with a terminating service from Balloch. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 17/05/1957