This station has four platforms - two through platforms on the route to Stranraer and two bays for traffic to the north.
Ayr station, originally the two platform Ayr [2nd] on the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway, underwent a huge reconstruction involving the change of the road layout in the area. The main part of the station was south of the original following reconstruction and Kyle Street, where it crossed the railway, was entirely removed to allow the new construction.
The station has a glazed roof, cut back in recent years, and station hotel of 1866. The Ayr Station Hotel partly closed in 2010, completely in 2012, and is in increasingly poor condition (2018).
On the west side of the station, at the north end, was a series of carriage sidings and an additional bay platform, both now the site of a car park and housing.
At the south end, south of Station Bridge, the line quadrupled and there were two additional platforms on either side.
South of the station, on the west side and approached from the south, was a goods yard. This is now Townhead EMU Sidings.
Ayr station had two signal boxes. No 1 was at the north end at the station's throat by the bridge over the River Ayr, located on the east side. No 2 was at the south end, on the west side between the sidings and main running lines. Both boxes closed in 1985.
From 1985-86 there was a temporary box here during the preparations for the Ayr line's electrification. In addition to the No 1 and No 2 boxes this also took over Belmont Level Crossing, Falkland Junction, Newton Junction [Ayr], Prestwick. The temporary box was taken over by the Paisley Signalling Centre in 1986.
The Ayr Station Hotel was railway owned until 1951. This towers over Ayr station and a good view of the station was had from the bedrooms. The hotel closed suddenly in 2012 and is decaying. Protective screens have been erected over portions of the station to protect it from falling debris.
Ayr Shed [1st]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Prestwick International Airport
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
Heads of Ayr [1st)
| Townhead EMU Sidings|
Ayr Cattle Market Sidings
Ayr Harbour South
Newton Carpet Works
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Ayr Station Hotel
St John's Tower
Belmont Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1840||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Originally promoted as the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway it was to run from Ayr to Dalmellington and on to Castle Douglas to join the British and Irish Grand Junction Railway, which later was opened as the Portpatrick Railway.
|04/08/1853||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Authorised from Ayr to Dalmellington. This incarnation of the line was closely associated with the Houldsworth family's Dalmellington Ironworks at Waterside and associated coal mines.
|01/07/1885||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Opened from Port Eglinton Junction to Elderslie Junction. The line uses much of the former route of the Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal, the line runs skew across an old aqueduct bridge at Paisley Hawkhead. The canal route under the main line at Elderslie was used for a link to the Bridge of Weir Railway so that Greenock Princes Pier bound trains did not have to cross the track used by Ayr to Glasgow trains. The old basin at Port Eglinton becomes the Salkeld Street Parcels depot.