Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway

Introduction

This line is open. This was a joint line owned by the Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway. The line was joint as the Caledonian wanted to extend its Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway to Kilmarnock and the South Western wanted to build a more direct line from Kilmarnock to Glasgow. The Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway was taken into joint ownership and along with the Glasgow and Kilmarnrock Joint Railway it became the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway, GB & K Jnt or GBK.



The line included a branch to Beith from Lugton, now cut back to RNAD Beith (at Giffen). This branch is now in abeyance.



The line has been singled between Barrhead and Kilmarnock except for a passing loop at the closed Lugton station. However, Network Rail opened a 'dynamic loop' between Lugton and Stewarton (south of the station at Lochridge Junction) to increase capacity and allow trains every half hour.






Dates

  /  /1869[Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway authorised (Glasgow and South Western Railway and Caledonian Railway).
27/03/1871[Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway]
Stewarton opened.
26/06/1873[Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway]
Opened throughout from Kilmarnock to Neilston.
01/01/1923Dundee and Newtyle Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway
Caledonian Railway
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Callander and Oban Railway
Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
Highland Railway
Cathcart District Railway
Killin Railway
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee
Brechin and Edzell District Railway
Dornoch Light Railway
Wick and Lybster Light Railway
Grouped into London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
05/11/1962[Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway]
Beith Town to Lugton closed to passengers
05/10/1964[Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway]
Beith Town to Barrmill Junction closed to freight
14/12/1964Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway
Lugton Junction (on the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway) to Uplawmoor [1st] closed to all traffic (Lugton was used to round Uplawmoor trains).
12/05/1984[Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway]
Kilmaurs station re-opened.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Crofthead to Kilmarnock

Passenger and goods line from Crofthead/Neilston to Kilmarnock.

This was a terminus. The site of the station has been mostly obliterated by extension of the railway south in 1870 and in a re-alignment of the A736, although a large retaining wall remains next to the former alignment of the road. It was replaced by Neilston Low just to the south east. ...

More details
The site of the original terminus of the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway was on the left. On the right is the original route of the ...
Ewan Crawford 14/09/2017

This was a two platform station close to the Crofthead Mill. It was inconvenient for the Neilston village being at the foot of a hill and quite far north of it. The surviving Neilston station serves the village better.
...

More details
The down Thames - Clyde Express photographed passing Neilston Low on 6 May 1954. The train is hauled by Royal Scot 4-6-0 no 46103 Royal Scots ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
5.38 pm St Enoch - Carlisle on Neilston Bank. 5731 & J. McCreadie up. Spring 1941. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1941
View looking west at Neilston (Low) ...
Ewan Crawford //
A Peak with the up Thames-Clyde Express, photographed on the approach to Neilston Low in March 1966. ...
Colin Miller /03/1966

There was a signal box at this location. The box was on the south side of the line and east of the Shilford overbridge.
...

More details
Mogul 2909 on Up Goods on Neilston Bank. Spring 1941. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1941
156502 on the descent to Barrhead from Shilford Summit. View looks to Barrhead. 30 years on from my last visit to this location [see image 7737] - ...
Ewan Crawford 17/08/2017
Dumfries - Glasgow (local) topping Shilford. 668 piloting CR 4.6.0 14653. Speed just over 60. Spring 1941. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1941
5.30 pm St Enoch - Midland Express. Climbing to Shilford. 5X 4.6.0 5715. Spring 1941. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow //1941

This was a two platform station with the main building on the Glasgow bound platform.
...

More details

A box 'Dixon's Pit No 2' opened here with the line in 1871. Sidings were on the west side of the line, approached from the north and making a trailing connection. There was a signal box (west side).
...

More details

Lugton L&A Junction opened in 1903 between the 1871 Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway, (jointly owned by the Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway), and the extension of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway opened in 1903 between Giffen Junction and Cathcart West Junction. The L&A junction opened as part of a short link joining the new line at [[Lugton ...

More details

This was a two platform station with the main station building on the Glasgow bound platform.
...

More details
Lugton signalbox, as seen in 1992.
...
Bill Roberton //1992
Lugton signal box viewed from a passing northbound train. ...
John Yellowlees 28/03/2018
The interior of Lugton signalbox in 1992. Quite a few white levers there. ...
Bill Roberton //1992
Ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T no 55203 arriving at Lugton on 26 May 1956 with the Beith branch train. [Ref query 17 September 2018] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 26/05/1959

This junction was directly south west of Lugton station. It was formed between the Glasgow - Barrhead - Kilmarnock line and the branch to Beith Town. The junction was taken out before 2009 when the 'Dynamic Loop' was opened from Lugton through Dunlop and Stewarton to its south end at Lochridge Junction.
...

More details

This is a two platform station. There is a small car park on the east side.
...

More details
A Glasgow to Carlisle service calls at the pleasant village of Dunlop on 21 February 2019. Like many such places, it seems to be completely devoid of ...
David Panton 21/02/2019
An up football special leaving Dunlop on 23 May 1953 behind Black 5 45266. [Ref query 2382] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 23/05/1953
View over Dunlop station showing progress on 13 May 2009. ...
Ken Browne 13/05/2009
The 11.05 for Kilmarnock runs into the station at Dunlop on 31 May 2011. ...
Colin Miller 31/05/2011

This is a two platform station. The line was redoubled in 2009. The northbound platform was reinstated. There is a car park at this station.
...

More details
40571 photographed near Stewarton with a Kilmarnock local on 6 May 1954. [Ref query 22 July 2018] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
A Glasgow to Carlisle service calls at Stewarton on 21 February 2019. In the early 1970s this station, along with Dunlop, was down to two trains a day ...
David Panton 21/02/2019
A quiet half hour at Stewarton on 31 August 2018, with only the barrels on the platform. The view is towards Glasgow. ...
John McIntyre 31/08/2018
Jubilee 45640 Frobisher photographed at Stewarton with a St Enoch - Dumfries train on 6 May 1954. [Ref query 6 May 2019] ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954

This is a double track viaduct of ten arches crossing the Annick Water. The viaduct is south of Stewarton station. It is 555 ft long.
...

More details
Tamper paused on the viaduct south of Stewarton. The view looks east. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009
The impressive 10 arch Annick Water Viaduct (1868) to the south of Stewarton station. Photographed in June 2007 looking south west along the A735. ...
John Furnevel 17/06/2007

This is not a junction in the traditional sense, it is the south end of a loop from Lugton in the north.
...

More details
Sprinter 156514 working 1L55 south to Carlisle on 28 August 2016. The train is south of Stewarton, where the double tracks become single. ...
Ken Browne 28/08/2016
This location is south of Stewarton near where the double track becomes single. GBRf 66743 is heading south to Kilmarnock to join with stable mate ...
Ken Browne 28/08/2016
Milepost 18 midway between Stewarton Viaduct and a roadbridge over the A735 where a fuel oil train heading south for Riccarton derailed on 27 January ...
Ewan Crawford /01/2008
This is the south end of the loop from Lugton, about 1/3 mile on from the bridge replaced south of Stewarton. ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009

This is a minimal modern single platform station opend in 1984. The platform is on the west side of the single track line. There is a small station car park.
...

More details
156439 leads a 4-car 156 for Kilmarnock at Kilmaurs on 19 September 2017. Kilmaurs is the only single track station on the Glasgow - Dumfries - ...
David Panton 19/09/2017
Jubilee 4-6-0 45657 Tyrwhitt leads Clan Pacific 72005 Clan MacGregor south through Kilmaurs on 6 May 1954 with a St Enoch to Newcastle ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
The 10.13 to Kilmarnock stands at Kilmaurs on 16 October 2010. ...
Ken Browne 16/10/2010
156507 emerges from a leafy glade and pulls into the platform at Kilmaurs with the 1S50 Newcastle Central - Glasgow Central service on a beautiful ...
Ken Browne 03/06/2011

This junction gave access, from the north to the joint goods station to the north of Kilmarnock station and connection to Kilmarnock station at Kilmarnock Junction.
...

More details
The up 'Thames-Clyde Express' passing Kilmarnock no 1 box on 6 May 1954. Locomotives are 2P 4-4-0 40592 and Royal Scot 4-6-0 46112 Sherwood ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
From left to right; distllery headshunt, line from Barrhead, [and then in the trees] stub of line from Dalry, Long Lyes Sidings. In the foreground was ...
Ewan Crawford //2005
Looking East straight down the Barrhead line to Kilmarnock station in (unfortunately) bright morning sunshine after rain, from the Western Road ...
Robert Blane 08/10/2009
BR 'Peak' D26 accelerates north on the Barrhead line with the down Thames-Clyde Express shortly after leaving Kilmarnock station in June ...
Bill Hamilton /06/1961

In 1843 the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway opened to Kilmarnock [1st]. This location is where the passenger station (Kilmarnock [1st], to the north) and goods lines (Kilmarnock Goods, to the south) parted.
...

More details
GBRf 66732 working 6E95 Greenburn Keir Mining to Drax south through Kilmarnock station heading for Drax. ...
Ken Browne 06/06/2016
Looking to Kilmarnock along the course of the closed GPK&AR. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Colas Rail 60021 working 6D61 empty tanks south from Riccarton to Grangemouth. Taken from Western Road Bridge, Kilmarnock, on 31 August 2016. ...
Ken Browne 31/08/2016
View from Western Road bridge, Kilmarnock as Colas 60021 starts up with 6D61 Riccarton to Grangemouth empty tanks on 31 august 2016. ...
Ken Browne 31/08/2016




Beith Branch

From Lugton Junction to Beith Town.

This junction was directly south west of Lugton station. It was formed between the Glasgow - Barrhead - Kilmarnock line and the branch to Beith Town. The junction was taken out before 2009 when the 'Dynamic Loop' was opened from Lugton through Dunlop and Stewarton to its south end at Lochridge Junction.
...

More details


The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway line, opened 1888, started from here from the Beith Town branch of the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway of 1873 and ran south west to Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier. The junction was immediately east of Barrmill station.
...

More details

This was a single platform station opened on the jointly owned Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway branch from Lugton Junction to Beith. This was built as a single track branch although many structures were built to accommodate a second track.
...

More details
Viaduct to the west of Barrmill station near the RNAD Giffen depot. ...
Ewan Crawford 07/10/2006



This was a single platform terminus. There was a large goods yard on the east side of the site. To the south, on the west side, was a locomotive shed which was approached via reversing spur and a turntable. The terminus was approached from the south east.
...

More details
Beith, looking to the buffers in 1997. The line curved round to the right following Balfour Avenue. ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
The station building at Beith Town in July 1962 with a diesel railcar standing at the platform. ...
Colin Miller 18/07/1962
A Railcar stands at Beith Town in July 1962, four months before closure. ...
Colin Miller 18/07/1962




Kilmarnock Joint Goods

A short branch serving the joint goods north of the station.

This junction gave access, from the north to the joint goods station to the north of Kilmarnock station and connection to Kilmarnock station at Kilmarnock Junction.
...

More details
The up 'Thames-Clyde Express' passing Kilmarnock no 1 box on 6 May 1954. Locomotives are 2P 4-4-0 40592 and Royal Scot 4-6-0 46112 Sherwood ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1954
From left to right; distllery headshunt, line from Barrhead, [and then in the trees] stub of line from Dalry, Long Lyes Sidings. In the foreground was ...
Ewan Crawford //2005
Looking East straight down the Barrhead line to Kilmarnock station in (unfortunately) bright morning sunshine after rain, from the Western Road ...
Robert Blane 08/10/2009
BR 'Peak' D26 accelerates north on the Barrhead line with the down Thames-Clyde Express shortly after leaving Kilmarnock station in June ...
Bill Hamilton /06/1961