Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway

Introduction

This line is open and carries a regular electric train passenger service between Gourock, Greenock, Paisley and Glasgow as well as branch traffic to Wemyss Bay.






Dates

  /  /1847[Glasgow Paisley and Greenock Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway. Alternative date; 1851.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was originally a double track station. The original station featured a very tall wooden signal box on stilts.
...

More details
Tartan, famous local names and landmarks along with EMU 380011 are on display in the underpass to greet visitors to Paisley Gilmour Street. ...
Colin McDonald 22/12/1997
314213, in SPT livery and now some 38 years old, calls right time at Paisley Gilmour Street on a service for Gourock on 7th August 2017. These ...
Colin Miller 07/08/2017
When ScotRail decided not to paint all 314s out of SPT carmine and cream I don’t suppose they expected them to last this long. A Gourock semi-fast ...
David Panton 07/03/2019
Gourock bound 334017 entering Paisley Gilmour Street ...
Graham Morgan 12/09/2006

A 26 runs light west from Paisley. ...
Ewan Crawford //
A Hunterston-Ravenscraig coal train heads east to Paisley Gilmour Street. ...
Ewan Crawford //


Paisley Underwood. Beardmore once built Taxis nearby. The depot was used by Spillers and Shanks at various stages. Now lifted and gone. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This is a two platform station.
...

More details
Platform view west at Paisley St James on 20 May 2007, looking towards Bishopton. ...
John Furnevel 20/05/2007
Paisley St James station was to have been moved under the proposed
...
David Panton 16/06/2010
Looking east at Paisley St James with the station building and a Glasgow bound train. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Paisley St James has recently reopened after a two-and-a-half month
...
David Panton 01/09/2010

This junction was just west of Paisley St James station. In its final days the branch was a single track serving the former Pressed Steel Co Ltd works.
...

More details
Looking west at the former junction to the west of Paisley St James station. The branch still existed to Linwood but the junction itself had been ...
Ewan Crawford //
CR 0.6.0 57360 on branch at Paisley St James. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 10/04/1953

This was the northern of a triangle of lines at Walkinshaw. The junction allowed a train from the Barrhead direction to join the Greenock line. The Caledonian Railway's plan was to create a route fully owned by the CR between Greenock and Glasgow via Barrhead and Cathcart via the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway. It was redundant after the grouping of 1923 which brought the CR and ...

More details

This junction was north west of Paisley and was the location where the single track Linwood Goods [CR] branch joined the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway. It had a connection into the Clippens Oil Works at Linwood.
...

More details
Looking to the Clippens Oil Works on the branch from Blackstone Junction, Georgetown (on the Paisley-Bishopton-Greenock line). ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
HR 103 at Blackstone Junction bound for the Linwood Branch with the Scottish Rambler ...
G W Robin 17/04/1965

This was a two platform station. There was a main station building similar to that at Bishopton on the eastbound platform and shelter on the westbound. The signal box was just north of the main building. The eastbound platform was reached by an access road from the south and the westbound by a footway rising from the roadway to the south, and there was a footbridge between the platforms.
...

More details
Heading east at Georgetown. No access at the time beyond this fence as it was MOD property. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987

This junction was north of Georgetown station and south of Southbar Junction. The box at Southbar had burned down in 1934 and the box here replaced it. The box was on the east side of the line. Barochan Junction was named for Barochan House, moss and hill which are off to the west.
...

More details

This Great War period station was built to serve the Georgetown National Filling Factory, to the west. The station was south of Southbar Junction and Georgetown National Filling Factory Yard on a loop line on the west side of the main line. To the south was Houston station.
...

More details

This marshalling yard was on the west side of the main line. Approach from the north was from Southbar Junction and from the south from near Houston station.
...

More details

The Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway crossed this area on an embankment due to the low lying marshy ground. This junction, named for Southbar House to the north east, served a large tip. Waste was tipped on either side of the line to the north of the junction to reclaim the marsh by Glasgow Corporation. Tipping sidings, such as Southbar Siding (East) were moved as needed.
...

More details


This is a two platform station with an original station building on the southbound (up) platform. There are car parks on the old goods yard south end of the station, east side of the line and shunted from the south) and an area of ground to the west.
...

More details
A Gourock to Glasgow stopping service draws up at Bishopton on 12 June 2019. At least with summer foliage there is nothing now to see of the former ...
David Panton 12/06/2019
Carmine and cream-liveried 314213 at Bishopton on a service to Gourock. ...
Bill Roberton 20/10/2017
314204 calls with a service to Glasgow Central. ...
Bill Roberton 20/10/2017
314s call at Bishopton on 27 April 2017. On the left is 314209 in ScotRail blue heading to Wemyss Bay and on the right 314206 in Strathclyde livery ...
John McIntyre 27/04/2017


This tunnel is west of Bishopton. It is 330yds long. Bishopton No 2 Tunnel is just to the west.
...

More details

This tunnel is west of Bishopton and Bishopton No 1 Tunnel. It is 350yds long.
...

More details

This signal box was west of Bishopton No 1 Tunnel and Bishopton No 2 Tunnel. The location was north east of Laigh Hatton farm and it was on the north side of the line. It controlled a trailing crossover.
...

More details

This is a two platform station with a good view of the River Clyde from its platforms. ...

More details
On the approach to Langbank from the east. Viewed from east of Dumbarton. ...
Ewan Crawford //
380004 calls at Langbank with a Gourock train on 23rd October 2017. ...
Mark Bartlett 23/10/2017
Eastbound train approaching Langbank. It has just passed over the old bridge over the Greenock road and is about to pass over the girder bridge over ...
Ewan Crawford 08/11/2017
A Wemyss Bay to Glasgow train, formed by a SPT liveried Class 314, is seen running between Langbank and Bishopton. This view, across the Clyde, taken ...
Mark Bartlett 03/08/2017

This is a two platform station in Woodhall, to the east of Port Glasgow. The station has a footbridge and small station building on the westbound platform. The station was built after housing was built on the Woodhall estate.
...

More details
334 017 pulls into Woodhall with a Gourock to Glasgow stopper on 29 April 2009. ...
David Panton 29/04/2009
Entrance to Woodhall station on the east side of Port Glasgow. View northwest across Glasgow Road (and the Clyde beyond) on Sunday 29 July 2007. ...
John Furnevel 29/07/2007
Glasgow Road entrance to Woodhall station on 29 April. Short on well-kept flower beds, no comfy waiting room, but at least there is a ticket office. ...
David Panton 29/04/2009
View looking west at Woodhall station. Class 303 entering station. ...
Ewan Crawford //


This shipyard is located on the south bank of the lower Clyde in the east end of Port Glasgow. It is immediately to the west of Newark Castle [Port Glasgow]. Ship building continues today and the yard has been almost entirely rebuilt and thoroughly modernised Ferguson Marine .
...

More details




This is a two platform station with a fine large glazed canopy on the Glasgow bound platform, slightly smaller canopy on the Gourock bound platform, a covered walkway to Princes Street and a traditional covered footbridge.
...

More details
380 109 to Glasgow Central arriving at Port Glasgow station on 25th July 2017 ...
David Bosher 25/07/2017
A Wemyss Bay service calls at Port Glasgow on 7 March. ...
David Panton 07/03/2019
A Glasgow Central to Wemyss Bay service, formed by 380021, calls at well-maintaned Port Glasgow before taking the branch line on 14th November 2017.
...
David Panton 14/11/2017
This new mural is in memory of the nine arch viaduct, the Devol Glen Viaduct, which brought the Glasgow and South Western Railway into the town via ...
John Yellowlees 25/10/2016

Wemyss Bay Junction is one of those junctions named after the place
...
David Panton 01/09/2010
A Sunday morning service from Glasgow Central in April 2007 takes the left fork for Wemyss Bay, at the junction bearing the same name, just to the ...
John Furnevel 29/04/2007
A westbound train heading for Wemyss Bay passing the houses of Lilybank Road shortly after leaving Port Glasgow station on 29 April 2007. The train is ...
John Furnevel 29/04/2007
80109 approaching from Wemyss Bay. Wemyss Bay Junction. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 27/06/1964

This is a minimal two platform station. It is approached by stairs from a bridge carrying Bogston Road at the east end.
...

More details
A Gourock service calls at Bogston between Port Glasgow and Greenock on 7 March 2019. The station appears to have once had a ticket office in the ...
David Panton 07/03/2019
A Gourock to Glasgow stopper (showing Glasgow Central twice) calls at Bogston on 7 March 2019. The parallel Wemyss Bay branch can be seen climbing ...
David Panton 07/03/2019
Scene at Bogston station in April 2007 looking towards the south entrance from Shankland Road. The bridge and embankment running across the picture ...
John Furnevel 29/04/2007
318 266 with a stopping service to Gourock arrives at Bogston on 1 June 2009. Those familiar with the area between Port Glasgow and Greenock will know ...
David Panton 01/06/2009


View looking west over the site of Greenock Ladyburn shed. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Having a quick look at the condition of the track in the yard - a train is down at James Watt Dock. The (then) recently lifted loop to the left was ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
In May 1989, 26041 and 7 molasses tanks slowly rounded the curve close to Ladyburn Junction after leaving the James Watt Dock United Molasses depot. ...
Ewan Crawford /05/1989

This double ended shed was located to the south of the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway between Cartsdyke and Bogston station. Approach was from the west. The shed was severely damaged by bombing in the Second World War.
...

More details
Looking west towards to the site of Ladyburn Shed. The sheds and stores were at this location, the shed closing in 1966 ...
Graham Morgan 31/08/2007
Fowler 4F 0-6-0 no 44011 stands on Ladyburn shed, Greenock, in the summer of 1960. ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 31/08/1960
Looking west towards to the site of Ladyburn Shed. The sheds and sidings were on the left, and the mineral sidings and connecting line to the James ...
Graham Morgan 31/08/2007
Fowler 4F 0-6-0 no 44011 in the shed yard at Greenock Ladyburn in 1960, with just over 2 years to go before withdrawal from Polmadie in October 1962. ...
K A Gray //1960

This is a two platform station to the east of Greenock Central. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
...

More details
Although superficially similar to its coevals in Glasgow and Lanarkshire Cartsdyke's station has a ticket window separate from the waiting room. I'm ...
David Panton 07/03/2019
Glasgow Central bound 334004 passing through Cartsdyke on 14th January ...
Graham Morgan 14/01/2008
Cartsdyke station looking east towards Port Glasgow ...
Graham Morgan 23/05/2007
314215 departing Cartsdyke heading west, next stop Greenock Central ...
Graham Morgan 23/05/2007

This junction was west of Cartsdyke. Going west the line divided into three portions which were, from north to south:
...

More details



Clyde tugs Flying Meteor, Flying Typhoon, Brigadier plus an unidentified example, photographed looking east alongside a busy ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 20/08/1959
Tugs in their traditional stabling point in Victoria Harbour, Greenock, in the summer of 1959, with empty flat waggons in the siding alongside on the ...
A Snapper (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 02/08/1959


This is the main station in Greenock. It replaced Greenock Bridge Street which was the original terminus of the line. The original terminus line was located slightly to the north and the line was cut back to the new station on opening. In addition the new alignment was further north in general. To great local disappointment Greenock Mansion House was demolished as part of the works. The new ...

More details
334030 departing from Greenock Central on a service to Gourock on 11 September. ...
Graham Morgan 11/09/2007
Lead flashing in the wall at Greenock Central showing where the former roof of the station met the wall. ...
Graham Morgan 11/09/2007
318251 at Greenock Central on 2 April with a Glasgow - Gourock train. ...
Graham Morgan 02/04/2011
Class 380 westbound and just east of Greenock Central. I've been past this bridge so many times without taking a photograph ... until now. A second ...
Ewan Crawford 10/08/2017



This station was a terminus. It was close, but not actually at, Greenock Harbour. It was above street level (described as a 'considerable height') and a set of steps ran from the entrance down to the street. Offices were on the ground level and the platforms were above street level. There was a colonnaded front with an archway on either side. It was close to the harbour but not on a railway pier. ...

More details