Bishopton

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Bishopton (1841-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.

Open on the Inverclyde Lines.


Description

This is a two platform station with an original station building on the southbound (up) platform. There are car parks on the old goods yard south end of the station, east side of the line and shunted from the south) and an area of ground to the west.

The northbound (Greenock) platform had a large timber waiting room, now gone. A timber extension of the southbound (Glasgow) platform building has been removed but the building otherwise restored.

The signal box was at the south end of the northbound platform.

To the west was the junction for ROF Bishopton and exchange sidings (6 looped sidings). Approach was from the south. These sidings have been lifted. A long crude platform canopy was at the north end of the Glasgow bound platform to handle the considerable passenger numbers to and from this munitions depot.

The box closed in 1966, closed in the run up to electrification and replaced by Paisley Power Box.

Further north is the Bishopton Cutting, Bishopton No 1 Tunnel and Bishopton No 2 Tunnel all driven through a hard whinstone rock ridge which proved a considerable challenge when the line was built.


Tags

Station

Facilities

Bike rack
Free parking
Ticket machine
Toilets
Staffed