Cartsdyke

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Cartsdyke (1871-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.

Open on the Inverclyde Lines.


Description

This is a two platform station to the east of Greenock Central. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.

The station was the closest to the James Watt Dock, which is to the north.

To the east of the station Cartsdyke Signal Box controlled access to a siding which ran east to Ladyburn Shed. The box was on the south side of the line to the east of the station and also served a small yard on the south side.

On the north side of the line was the end of a long siding from Ladyburn Junction.

Ladyburn Shed closed in 1966. The box closed in 1967, taken over by the box at Ladyburn Junction. A loop was installed on the south side of the line west of Ladyburn Junction after electrification in 1967. Four sidings were also retained. These were lifted before the 1980s and the loop was removed in the mid 1980s.

01/07/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Facilities

Bike rack
Part time staffed