This junction was west of Cartsdyke. Going west the line divided into three portions which were, from north to south:
- Cartsdyke Goods a set of sidings approached from the east and from which, by reversal, the Cartsdyke Shipbuilding Yard and later the Clyde Foundry and Engine Works could be reached
- main line west to Greenock Central - small yard and line to Victoria Harbour which ran under the main line along Arthur Street to the harbour
The signal box was located in the ^V^ between the approach to the goods yard and the line to the engine works. The box was replaced in 1903 with a much larger example. It was taken over by the box at Ladyburn Junction in 1967.
The branch to Victoria Harbour closed around 1973.
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
| Clyde Foundry and Engine Works|
Mid Cartsdyke Shipbuilding Yard
Cartsdyke Shipbuilding Yard
Cartsburn Shipbuilding Yard
Garvel Dry Dock Goods
Arthur Street Engine Works
Greenock Works and Shed
Greenock John Street Signal Box
James Watt Dock
Balwhirley Tunnel North
Balwhirley Tunnel South
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1919||Greenock West Harbour|
Closure of Greenock West Harbour authorised. Reached by a branch from Cartsdyke Junction of the former Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)