This is a four platform station. Two platforms are through lines and two are bays served from the south east.
Formerly the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) bypassed the station on its south west side, those lines being lifted in the 1990s.
The relatively new Sighthill West Junction, for the Cowlairs Chord (British Railways), is to the north west and Sighthill East Junction (formerly Sighthill Junction) is to the south east.
An original street level building survives, designed by James Carsewell. It is a two storey building, presenting two floors to the platforms and a single storey at street level.
There was a goods yard on the north east side, served from the south east.
Two locomotive works were nearby - Hyde Park Works [2nd] to the south west and Atlas Works [2nd] to the north east. Both are now closed.
Springburn signal box was at the north/west end of the station, located on the east side of the railway and north of Springburn Road (on the east side of today^s A803). It operated trailing crossovers on the CGU and the Sighthill Goods lines. There was an exit from the south end of Turkey Yard which lay on the west side of the Sighthill Goods line. The location is now Sighthill West Junction. The box closed in 1956, replaced by Cowlairs Panel Box.
St Rollox [2nd]
Possilpark and Parkhouse
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
| Hyde Park Works [2nd]|
Atlas Works [2nd]
Sighthill West Junction
Sighthill East Junction
West of Scotland Signalling Centre
Cowlairs Mineral Yard
Sighthill Goods Junction
Cowlairs Carriage Sidings
Sighthill Yard Junction
Cowlairs South Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|16/08/1875||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Bellgrove to Springburn opened for goods, Haghill Junction to Parkhead Junction opened.
|01/01/1887||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
'Bus train' service to Shields Road [CGU] extended to Springburn.
|05/11/1960||Glasgow North Bank Electrification|
Service begins with electric services to termini at; Helensburgh Central, Balloch Pier, Singer Workers Platforms station, Milngavie, Bridgeton Central, Springburn, Airdrie. The new trains (303s) built at Pressed Steel Co Ltd, Linwood, became known as the Blue trains, these were used in all the Glasgow electrification schemes.
Springburn to Singer Workers Platforms passenger trains cease.
|07/11/1966||Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway)|
Buchanan Street station closed; Buchanan Street to Sighthill East Junction closed. Where possible trains are diverted to Glasgow Queen Street High Level. A local shuttle to Cumbernauld commences from Springburn.
|06/03/1989||Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway)
City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Crash at Bellgrove Junction when a train leaves Bellgrove station passing a red light (SPAD) and runs onto the single lead of the Springburn line striking a train leaving the branch. 2 were killed and 40 injured.
|19/05/2014||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway
Electric passenger services begin operating between Glasgow and Cumbernauld following commissioning of 50 km of 25 kV 50 Hz electrification between Springburn and Cumbernauld.