This is a three platform station, formerly with a bay at the north end on the west side. The station was rebuilt and enlarged when Aviemore became a junction on the opening of the Direct Line to Inverness via Carrbridge. The name Aviemore is from Gaelic, 'An Aghaidh Mhòr' - The big (mountain) face, describing the hill Craigellachie which lies to the west.
The town very much owes its existence to the railway. Before the railway opened there were very few houses here. It became a town to support the needs of the junction between the lines to Forres and Inverness when the direct route to Inverness opened throughout in 1897. The Station Hotel and Cairngorm Hotel were opened after the direct route opened.
Today Aviemore itself is a much bigger place, with expansion of the town to the north of the station. Much of the expansion was with the opening of the Aviemore Ski Centre.
The Cairngorm Mountain - Funicular Railway is 9.5 miles away by road. (Currently closed for repairs.)
The Strathspey Railway [Preserved] operate a heritage steam and diesel line north from Aviemore to Broomhill via Boat of Garten. This is the southern portion of the former main line via Forres [2nd] which closed in 1965.
Boat of Garten
Ballifurth Farm Halt
Castle Grant Platform
| Aviemore Yard|
Boat of Garten Shed
Carrbridge Heritage Park
Dulnain Viaduct [Carrbridge]
Old Pack Horse Bridge
Cairngorm Hotel [Aviemore]
Station Hotel [Aviemore]
Dalfaber Level Crossing
Carrbridge Golf Club
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Aviemore's Station Hotel
The Aviemore Station Hotel Company built the large Station Hotel [Aviemore] after 1898 when Aviemore became a junction between the Forres [2nd] and new Inverness routes.
Even closer to the station is the Cairngorm Hotel [Aviemore].
Ben View and Craig View, railwaymen's cottages in Aviemore at the rear of the north signal box, were built using sleepers.
|03/08/1863||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Forres [2nd] to Aviemore opened. Stations opened at Forres [2nd], Rafford, Dunphail, Grantown [HR], Broomhill, Boat of Garten and Aviemore.
|09/09/1863||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Line opened from Pitlochry to Aviemore, thus throughout from Inverness to Perth. Additional stations opened at Blair Athole, Struan, Dalwhinnie, Newtonmore, Kingussie and Boat of Insh.
|08/07/1892||Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Aviemore to Carrbridge opened.
|01/11/1898||Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway (Highland Railway)|
Daviot to Inverness, Millburn Junction, opened, completing the shortcut line from Aviemore to Inverness.
|18/10/1965||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Forres [2nd] to Aviemore closed to passengers. Stations closed at Boat of Garten, Broomhill, Grantown-on-Spey West, Dava and Dunphail. Dallas Dhu Siding (excluded) to Boat of Garten (excluded) closed to all traffic. Both Forres West Junction and Forres East Junction to Forres South Junction closed to passengers. Further south on the retained line Kincraig closed.
|04/11/1968||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Boat of Garten to Aviemore (excluded) closed to freight.
|/ /1978||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Aviemore to Boat of Garten conveyed to the Strathspey Railway [Preserved].
|/07/1998||Inverness and Perth Junction Railway|
Aviemore station altered and re-opened to Strathspey Railway [Preserved] traffic and Aviemore Speyside station closed.
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2